• Post made for three hours last night (9pm-12am EST) have been deleted. This was necessary due to some problems with server maintenance. Anyone who had problems logging into their account during this time should be fine now.

LDS WI - The Holy Punch

It is 1852, Salt Lake City. Brigham Young is speaking out endorsing the racist interpretation of the "Mark of Cain" before a congregation. As he speaks, the sound of thunder echoes through the temple; there is a flash of light, a bolt of lightning, and out of the rupture emerges a man in strange dress. He marches up to the prophet, and strikes him in the face (cold cocking him). The stranger scolds Brigham Young for his words; then he turns around, marches away, and disappears as suddenly as he had arrived.

How do the congregation and the Church of Latter Day Saints respond to this? How does this affect the history of Mormonism, of Utah, and subsequently, of the United States?

(FD - I had this idea over five years ago)

ADDITIONAL: I do realize the PoD is technically ASB, but I thought it might be just limited enough (since our stranger disappears from the TL so quickly) -- with most of the TL concerning the short term local effects of that, and the realistic effects that ripple out in turn from that -- that it's arguably more at place in a non-ASB forum. (If I'm wrong, we can always move it.)

Last edited:

Zioneer

Banned
Yeah, this is actually hilarious, but it belongs in ASB.

As for what would happen, a clear sign from God like that would revert Brigham Young's views to that of about 4 years earlier. About that time, he wasn't overly racist, said something along the lines of "we have a fine black elder here, by the name of Abel [Elijah Abel, probably the first black Mormon, ordained by Joseph Smith]".

The other hardcore anti-black types in the LDS leadership (some of whom had been abolitionists years before) would also see this as a sign. The one or two non-anti-black types would be vindicated. And Elijah Abel himself would probably just be amused.

You may also want to punch William McCrary in 1847, his whole saga was a big portion of why the whole Mark of Cain and the other weird racist theology started up anyway.

As for what would happen, a clear sign from God like that would revert Brigham Young's views to that of about 4 years earlier. About that time, he wasn't overly racist, said something along the lines of "we have a fine black elder here, by the name of Abel [Elijah Abel, probably the first black Mormon, ordained by Joseph Smith]".

The other hardcore anti-black types in the LDS leadership (some of whom had been abolitionists years before) would also see this as a sign. The one or two non-anti-black types would be vindicated. And Elijah Abel himself would probably just be amused.
About what I thought, thanks. So where does the LDS Church go from here?
You may also want to punch William McCrary in 1847, his whole saga was a big portion of why the whole Mark of Cain and the other weird racist theology started up anyway.
Thank you for this context!

Zioneer

Banned
About what I thought, thanks. So where does the LDS Church go from here?

Thank you for this context!
Well, for one thing, they'd take a lot more interesting in Elijah Abel's missions to free black communities in Ohio and Toronto. They'd also show him quite a bit more respect, and he could even be made apostle. Even with his racial rhetoric, Brigham Young was quite a bit kinder to Abel than later leaders anyway.

I imagine that missions to areas with black, mixed, and other non-white populations would be started earlier. There were early missions in OTL to India and South Africa, but only among the white population. Maybe missionaries to the black population would be sent earlier.

Though if there's little evidence and even less context, the whole incident could be dismissed after a few years anyway.