Later Carter Presidency 1984-1992

Rough sketch, Robert Kennedy survives assassination in 1968 but doesn't get the nomination. In 1976, he runs for the nomination and wins, picking Jimmy Carter as his Vice President to balance the ticket. He has a relatively successful Presidency. In 1984, Jimmy Carter runs for the nominations and picks Dale Bumpers as his Vice President. What does his Presidency look like? Who succeeds him in 1992?

Rough sketch, Robert Kennedy survives assassination in 1968 but doesn't get the nomination. In 1976, he runs for the nomination and wins, picking Jimmy Carter as his Vice President to balance the ticket. He has a relatively successful Presidency. In 1984, Jimmy Carter runs for the nominations and picks Dale Bumpers as his Vice President. What does his Presidency look like? Who succeeds him in 1992?

This assumes that Carter wins in 1984 and 1988, which isn't certain. Remember that Carter was not a very effective politician: he barely won in a year that should've been a cakewalk for the Democrats, came into constant conflict with Congress despite Democratic majorities in both houses, and lost his bid for a second term in a wipeout. Sure, Carter was going up against an incumbent President (historically a difficult thing to pull off), and he was facing a tough situation as President. But the OTL record far from speaks to Carter's abilities as a politician. It's very possible that VP Carter would lose in 1984, or that President Carter would be defeated in 1988.

But if Carter somehow did win in 1984 and 1988, there's no doubt IMO that 1992 would be a Republican year.

So, I'm trying to imagine what the runup looks like. Ok, we've got RFK in office from '76-'80 and '80-'84. Presuming Nixon is in office and a lot of the scene is set in '76, as a starter how does RFK deal with Iran?

I do think that Carter was partially cursed by when he won in OTL. However, whoever is president in the years before him is going to matter too.

I really hope he sends the doctors and medical equipment to Mexico, and leaves it at that.

* Shah first went to Egypt and then to Mexico
I think RFK would do exactly that. With the Iranians not angered, the Hostage Crisis is averted or at least not as bad as it was in OTL. In TTL RFK beats Reagan in 1980 and then the economic recovery helps RFK's popularity recover. With RFK popular, his Vice President Jimmy Carter eeks out a narrow victory over Bob Dole in 1984.

It'll either Be Pat Buchanan or an Extended George Bush Sr presidency in the 90s. Either way, the culture of the two decades is going to be significantly different from OTL.

I think RFK would do exactly that. With the Iranians not angered, the Hostage Crisis is averted or at least not as bad as it was in OTL. In TTL RFK beats Reagan in 1980 and then the economic recovery helps RFK's popularity recover. With RFK popular, his Vice President Jimmy Carter eeks out a narrow victory over Bob Dole in 1984.

I think Carter could beat Dole, who was gaffe prone and generally lacking in charisma. Though with a stronger candidate (who?) the GOP would have a shot at 1984.

As for this Carter Presidency:
(I think that one of Carter's main issues was his failure to delegate. The Governorship of Georgia is one of the most powerful gubernatorial offices in the U.S. and Carter was used to being the law unto himself. I think that as Vice President to RFK, he'd learn the trade of delegation a little better. I also believe (call me a sentimentalist) that Carter and RFK would genuinely like one another, they were both firmly centrist Democrats, shared a strong Christian faith, and were known for being good men. I think we might see more of an Obama-Biden relationship, a President who genuinely gets along with and is friends with his Vice President.)

Foreign
- I think Carter would've done his bit to encourage detente and to continue to thaw ties between the United States and the Soviet Union. I think he would make his Secretary of Commerce actually force American corporations to have a genuine trade with the USSR and to actually build up the Russian economy. I also think Carter might be able to get even further nuclear disarmament agreements with the USSR especially since I don't see Bobby and Jimmy pushing for SDI.
- I think Carter would get on well with Maggie Thatcher (the two actually got on fine despite some initial misgivings about one another) and I think the Special Relationship under RFK and Carter would be a strong and robust (perhaps not Reagan levels of good but still very, very close)
- I don't think Carter would've invaded Kuwait. He was against that war (and against war in general) and even wrote to the U.N. to try to persuade them to not invade.

Domestic
- Bobby and Jimmy would probably pursue a monetarist policy similar to Reagan and Thatcher's but it would be MUCH milder. There would be deregulation and there would be tax cuts but it wouldn't be nearly to the extent of our timeline.
- I think Carter wouldn't ignore AIDS to the extent Reagan did. We might see an earlier response.

As for Carter's successor, it would almost definitely be a Republican. Bush I, Perot, and Pete Wilson might be possibilities. As for the Democratic nominee maybe Vice President Bumpers?? Jerry Brown? Paul Tsongas?? It doesn't especially matter since they're practically destined to lose.

Last edited: