Juan, Count of Montizón as Emperor of Mexico

In the lead up to the French intervention in Mexico which installed Maximilian as Emperor of Mexico, it was proposed that Juan, Count of Montizón be offered the crown, which in OTL he declined.

Would Emperor Juan of Mexico, already too liberal for the Carlists, have been more successful than Emperor Maximilian?

In the lead up to the French intervention in Mexico which installed Maximilian as Emperor of Mexico, it was proposed that Juan, Count of Montizón be offered the crown, which in OTL he declined.

Would Emperor Juan of Mexico, already too liberal for the Carlists, have been more successful than Emperor Maximilian?

I'm not sure. It's an interesting point, actually. Maximilian had no ties to Mexico whatsoever (his great-grandmother was Spanish was about as close as it came). Where Juan was essentially a scion of the dynasty that had ruled until the 1820s. I think he'd have to likewise walk a tightrope between the conservatives and the liberals, but in theory, he and his wife (Maria Beatrice) could make a good tag-team in that regard. Juan is liberal, Maria Beatrice is conservtive and pious (so will most likely appease the Catholics and the clergy) - there's a story that someone ran to Juan with a story of seeing another man's foot poking out from the curtains of Maria Beatrice's bed. Juan, instead of being shocked, simply responded "yes, it is her confessor's" and went back to whatever he had been doing.

I'm not sure. It's an interesting point, actually. Maximilian had no ties to Mexico whatsoever (his great-grandmother was Spanish was about as close as it came). Where Juan was essentially a scion of the dynasty that had ruled until the 1820s. I think he'd have to likewise walk a tightrope between the conservatives and the liberals, but in theory, he and his wife (Maria Beatrice) could make a good tag-team in that regard. Juan is liberal, Maria Beatrice is conservtive and pious (so will most likely appease the Catholics and the clergy) - there's a story that someone ran to Juan with a story of seeing another man's foot poking out from the curtains of Maria Beatrice's bed. Juan, instead of being shocked, simply responded "yes, it is her confessor's" and went back to whatever he had been doing.
Mexico would have still fought for its independence, as would any country in the Americas at that point.

Once countries are free from royal tyranny they like to stay that way.