Is it possible that Buddhism or Hindu-Buddhism would ultimately unify a pre-colonized Philippines? or a atl that somehow they fend off Brunei?

Could like one of the Lakans or rajah have like a drive to unify the islands?
what does this proto-Philippines need in order to sorta make that happen?

Last edited:
Hmm I was sorta hoping theres a way make them retain the Lakan status, is luzon being a lakanate possible?

Last edited:
If you ask me, there is absolutely no way a state could unify the Philippines before the Spanish. Like our ancestors didn't even see each other as fellow brothers, rather as foreigners.

If you ask me, there is absolutely no way a state could unify the Philippines before the Spanish. Like our ancestors didn't even see each other as fellow brothers, rather as foreigners.
That is why I suggested Luzon being a Sultanate in the 16th century which is possible if Islam was accepted by the masses sooner in Luzon rather it being concentrated on the elite.
Hmm I was sorta hoping theres a way make them retain the Lakan status, is luzon being a lakanate possible?
There is no such thing as a Tondo lakanate, Tondo is a city state, it being an Empire is a fake news.

Last edited:
I think its more likely, if the Philippines were to consolidate before colonization, that they would form two (centered on Luzon and Mindanao) or three (Luzon, Mindanao, and Visayas) states. Unification is unlikely without complete military superiority. More likely than either, it stays a bunch of small states.

I think its more likely, if the Philippines were to consolidate before colonization, that they would form two (centered on Luzon and Mindanao) or three (Luzon, Mindanao, and Visayas) states. Unification is unlikely without complete military superiority. More likely than either, it stays a bunch of small states.
I think organized religion is a prerequisite to consolidation.

I think organized religion is a prerequisite to consolidation.

I would argue the inverse. Unification is likely to result in, if not a singular religion, a heavy religious slant toward whoever 'wins'. If the archipelago is unified by a muslim power, the majority of the people would eventually convert to Islam, for example.

But, like I said, unification is hard without overwhelming military superiority.

I would argue the inverse. Unification is likely to result in, if not a singular religion, a heavy religious slant toward whoever 'wins'. If the archipelago is unified by a muslim power, the majority of the people would eventually convert to Islam, for example.

But, like I said, unification is hard without overwhelming military superiority.
Luzon's elite was already Muslim by the time when the Spanish came and had military support via the Bruneians, what was needed is for its masses to convert to Islam.

Luzon's elite was already Muslim by the time when the Spanish came and had military support via the Bruneians, what was needed is for its masses to convert to Islam.
A bunch of military victories shows the peasant people that your god is powerful. So does a bunch a gold from conquering foreign lands.

Its kind of a chicken or egg thing. Military victory can trigger conversions. Conversions leads to military strength. And so on.

A bunch of military victories shows the peasant people that your god is powerful. So does a bunch a gold from conquering foreign lands.

Its kind of a chicken or egg thing. Military victory can trigger conversions. Conversions leads to military strength. And so on.
So for Luzon, what was needed is for the Spanish not to arrive (or not at the right time which is later) so that the Muslims organize and convert the masses but that could happen at an earlier point.

Last edited:
Actually, the Lowlands remaining Muslim and becoming a Sultanate is actually beneficial for the Spanish because it can make the Igorots, Ilocanos, and Caboloan run to the Spanish for support while the Spanish extracts their natural resources because Cordilleras is rich in Minerals.

There is no such thing as a Tondo lakanate, Tondo is a city state, it being an Empire is a fake news.
Tondo is ruled by a lakan, as is Namayan. But yes, they are never large entities, rather they and most Philippine polities were akin to that of the city-states of ancient Greece.

Military superiority is already impossible even in an ATL pre-Hispanic PH, the first ever census conducted in the 1590s record that only 662k people inhabit the islands, minus those outside of Spain's jurisdiction. Now that number is even lower if a supposed scenario of such military superiority shall occur in 1500, my guess is that only 530k inhabit the island at the time.

You need however to eliminate Tondo, which was the primary enemy of Brunei's ally, Maynila.
The Tondo is being ruled by the House of Bolkiah already as the Bruneians have gotten rid of its original ruling house via Kalangitan, so they can do that the main issue is that the Bruneians did not organize the Muslims that they had converted and were not able to convert the population of the Northern Philippines en masse before the Spanish came.

Last edited:
The Tondo is being ruled by the House of Bolkiah already as the Bruneians have gotten rid of its original ruling house via Kalangitan
The ruler of Tondo after Kalangitan which was Salalila, is an Islamic convert of the House of Tondo, not Bolkiah (his wife might came from Brunei royal family itself or also a convert, so that does made him a member merely by marriage).

Also, the main reason why Brunei ever invaded Luzon is merely because if Tondo's growing monopoly over trade in the region, as ever shown by its establishment of Maynila as an independent state.

Well unless if Brunei decided to fully go on conquer mode, taking Calabarzon and Central Luzon, while keeping northern Luzon as part of its influence, only did a sultanate shall ever have a possibility of being born on this world.

The ruler of Tondo after Kalangitan which was Salalila, is an Islamic convert of the House of Tondo, not Bolkiah (his wife might came from Brunei royal family itself or also a convert, so that does made him a member merely by marriage).

Also, the main reason why Brunei ever invaded Luzon is merely because if Tondo's growing monopoly over trade in the region, as ever shown by its establishment of Maynila as an independent state.

Well unless if Brunei decided to fully go on conquer mode, taking Calabarzon and Central Luzon, while keeping northern Luzon as part of its influence, only did a sultanate shall ever have a possibility of being born on this world.
The husband of Kalangitan, Lontok is a Bolkiah.

The husband of Kalangitan, Lontok is a Bolkiah.
This one is a bit confusing, some people believe that he is indeed a Bolkiah, however others assert (including me) that he was also a native, being descended from a Bornean immigrant in the late 1390s.

Could like one of the Lakans or rajah have like a drive to unify the islands?
what does this proto-Philippines need in order to sorta make that happen?
It didn't IOTL.

What is needed is a tradition of organization beyond the barangay, and a polity willing to use it. The closest this region had to such things was Srivijaya and Majapahit establishing their mandala-style maritime empires along the lines of Carthage. The Javanese kingdoms also had old traditions of god-kings and bureaucracies before Islam.

Our part of the region has little in the way of trade compared to Java and the Straits of Malacca. Geography is unfortunately against us, in truth.