India-Pakistan Nuclear war in 2002

The attack on Indian Parliament on13th December 2001 causes more damage
than in OTL.
Nearly 50Members of Parliment and 100s of Staff are dead.
The Indian Goverment calls for an Urgent Meeting of all political
parties to plan possible actions.The commitee formed to detect the case
clealry points fingers on the President of Pakistan.
The Prime minister was given power and a war-time cabinet formed with
members from all parties.

26th January 2002, the President hoists the Tricolour and says "Enough
is Enough". and a communication is sent By PMO to all heads of States
of Major powers saying India is launching OPERATION RESOLUTE SWORD
against Pakistan.

31St January 2002,Indian troops enter LOC in massive numbers with Heavy
artillery,backed by Air-raids.also there is assimilation of
half-a-million troops in Punjap and Rajastan.
the Western Command of Indian Navy moves a large number of
battleships,submarines and aircrafts towards Pakistan coast

2nd february 2002,Pakistan Goverment Says it launches OPERATION
RESOLUTE SHIELD against Indian Invasion and states that it will not
hesitate to use Nuclear weapons on India and calls for immediate
Military aid from all Moslem countries.

Efforts by USA to prevent war Yields no Results and USA vacates all its
troops from Pakistan,warning both sides to be ready to face dire
consequences.

Within weeks Indian Army Takes POK and Cuts Pakistan into Two and
Karachi Harbour destroyed making Pakistan economy crumble.

Pakistan fires Two missiles with Nuclear warheads but the missiles
malfunction in Mid -air and falls into Sind Desert-casuality NIL.

Desperate to prevent India winning The War 4 PAF (nuclear armed) enter
Indian sky.Two was shot down by IAF but the other Two succesfully drop
the warheads on two major Indian cities Ajmer and Jullandhar killing
nearly 5,00,000 people.

India states its going to rain Nuclear warheads on Pakistan and a
Squadron from a air-base North of Delhi takes off to Pakistan. Within
Hours CNN & BBC announce the Destruction of 10 Major Pakistan cities
causing death to nearly 5-6 million people.

There is chaos,panic and widespread riots and Pakistan is heading for a
collapse.
Major Powers calls for Immediate cease-fire and Islamic nations express
outrage and immediately cut off all relations with India.

UNSC convenes emergency meeting and condems both nations and impose
economic and military sanctions on both countries.

USA asks India to Surrenderall its Weapons and calls for shut-down of
its nuclear facilities.But India says its nuclear programmes are aimed
at more than one country.
China says any attempt to take over Pakistan will result in China's
entry.

Russia,Britain and France agrees to follow a wait&watch policy but say
they cant take sides with any country but condoles the death and
devastation and prepare to send humanitarian aid.

A UN peacekeeping Mission takes control of Pakistan in April 2002.

WFHermans

Banned
A few years ago I read an AH history about this subject. There the short nuclear war started similarly, after a succesful indian invasion and the contries started lobbing some nukes at each other.

There India "won" as well. Loosing 100 million people won't put a dent into India but will hurt the Pakis quite a bit. :p

WFHermans said:
A few years ago I read an AH history about this subject. There the short nuclear war started similarly, after a succesful indian invasion and the contries started lobbing some nukes at each other.

There India "won" as well. Loosing 100 million people won't put a dent into India but will hurt the Pakis quite a bit. :p
'Dragonfire' by Humphrey Hawksley, sequal to 'DragonStrike'?

There was also an Indian/Pakistan nuclear war in Amory B Lovins 'The First Nuclear World War'.

Darkest

Banned
Can I use this event in my near past ATL?

Also, consider a huge investment into radiation clean-up / defense technologies, spurned by the new tragedy.

Anaxagoras

Banned
Nuclear war between India and Pakistan would only result in millions of deaths from the direct effect of the attacks, but would likely result in even more deaths due to the immediate breakdown of infrastructure, which would create famine and disease.

General musings

I've actually speculated about this one a bit (well, a similar one I found on Changing the Times*), and while it would still be too early to imagine the long-term effects, there are a few things we could expect right off the bat.

1) The Chinese probably aren't going to do anything. After all, an old rival has just been taken down thirty or so pegs, and has lost enough people and infrastructure (and will lose more as all government breaks down) that India won't have the capacity to possibly challenge the Chinese well into the 21st century, if ever. Besides, the Himalayas are tall enough to keep too much nuclear fallout from blowing over Tibet. My guess is that they'll just sit this out, occassionally sending relief aid, and maybe a raiding party or two to nab some underpopulated disputed border territory.

2) Southeast Asia is screwed. While that fallout isn't going to hit China, the weather patterns will make sure it drifts down in that direction. Throw in hordes of Indian refugees seeking safe haven and a bunch of pissed-off locals, you could expect things to get very messy.

3) The War on Terror has just been gut-shot. The Americans were (and still are) using Pakistan to clamp down on the various Al-Qaeda friendly groups that operate on the hinterlands between Pakistan and Afghanistan. With Islamabad a glassy plain, you could expect these guys to move back into Afghanistan to make life pleasant for the coalition forces there.

Oh, and there'll be plenty of rumors of surviving Pakistani generals putting an unused A-Bomb or two on the black market so they can feed their families. How's THAT for a proliferation crisis?

4) I doubt any of the big nuclear powers would stand for any other country trying to acquire nuclear weapons. While I don't think that this'll result in "no nukes" everywhere, I do think that North Korea and Iran will have to abandon their nuclear programs pretty lickety-damn-split, or else face a 42 cruise missile salute.

5) Bush will be blamed. After all, what kind of world's policeman lets two kill each other and not intervene? While this is, of course, unfair to Bush, I doubt anyone will be concerned with fairness at this point. His best bet is to hope that his attempt with India to "good cop, bad cop" Pakistan into being more cooperative in the Afghanistan campaign is never fully revealed and published.

As for the war in Iraq, I'm not certain enough of the motivations that went into starting it to say for sure whether or not it will occur. At any rate, the WMD rationale could be expected to hold out a bit longer than in OTL.

*Unfortunately, the newly online CTT site doesn't have this scenario. If you want, I can see if I've got it tucked away on my hard drive. The main difference from this scenario is that it takes the escalation to the final step, with both India and Pakistan whipping nukes at each other like softballs.

Could this actually enlargen Afghanistan following the toppling of the Taliban?

What state(s) will succeed Pakistan. Could there be an Indo-Burmese war?

(Al-Qaeda may have a new favorite target)

Straha

Banned
Can I use this event in my near past ATL?

Also, consider a huge investment into radiation clean-up / defense technologies, spurned by the new tragedy.
Yep! the 2002-2010 period woudl problaby see anti-radiation technologies advance 10-20 years.