Improve the Churchill tank.

That's very good amount. Recall, the Churchill, much more than 20 tons, had to make due with 960 ft lbs. the Tiger I had around that
Ok, that’s 1300ft lb at 1,600rpm, but only 320HP,

Was just looking for a baseline compared to A57 Multibank.

“The A57 engine had a 3.4375 in bore and 4.50 in stroke, giving a total displacement of 1,253 cu in (20.5 L) from its 30 cylinders. The engine produced 445 hp (332 kW) and 1,060 lb ft (1,437 N m) of torque at 2,400 rpm. Given the arrangement of the engine sections, the Multibank was a relatively short but heavy engine, weighing 5,244 lb (2,379 kg) including radiator, cooling fan and clutch.”

Last edited:
Ok, that’s 1300ft lb at 1,600rpm, but only 320HP,

Was just looking for a baseline compared to A57 Multibank.
Torque moves vehicles, not HP. That why Semis have big Cummins Sixes than V-12 Ferraris.
The more torque you get at low RPMs is what you really want.
The Tiger had a good 1364ft. lbs, but was at 2100 rpm. It needed 8 gears to get the most of the relatively high RPM engine (700HP@3000rpm)

The T-34 V-2 Engine was 500hp@1800 with 1600 ft.lbs torque, had 2368 cubic inches, to the Tiger's 1457 cubic inches

DougM

Donor
It depends. Torque is important to get something moving or force your way such as through mud, it HP is needed to keep something moving especially at higher speeds. If you don’t have enough torqu you can’t get moving if you run out of HP you can’t accelerate as you are using everything the engine produces.

So both are required. But in a slow heavy vehicle that goes through ”sticky” stuff like loose dirt tall grass deep snow or mud torque is more important

Torque moves vehicles, not HP. That why Semis have big Cummins Sixes than V-12 Ferraris.
The more torque you get at low RPMs is what you really want.
The Tiger had a good 1364ft. lbs, but was at 2100 rpm. It needed 8 gears to get the most of the relatively high RPM engine (700HP@3000rpm)

The T-34 V-2 Engine was 500hp@1800 with 1600 ft.lbs torque, had 2368 cubic inches, to the Tiger's 1457 cubic inches
Thanks
I have 1450ft lb for meteor (?)

Just a side line what was the Ju jumo 205 diesel??

Don't have stats on the Meteor, but sounds about right.
The 205 wasn't in a land vehicle that I'm aware but would be simialr to a smaller Leyland L60, so around 500-550 HP and 1200 or so for torque
Thx
The 205 was proposed by some as diesel tank engine. Hilter (?) wanted diesel tank engines at one stage.

Last edited:
Thx
The 205 was proposed by some as diesel tank engine. Hilter (?) wanted diesel tank engines at one stage.
Not just Hitler but most of the German military wanted diesel engines for the next generation of vehicles in 1943 since diesel was being more produced than gasoline in the synthetic fuels program at this point so might as well reap the benefits. But the Maybach lobby won. A big mistake IMO since the HL 210/230 were a disaster (only became remotely reliable when governed to 2500rpm and thus about 580hp maximum. The 700 HP Mercedes-Benz diesel would probably have maintained its 700hp without problems).

Not just Hitler but most of the German military wanted diesel engines for the next generation of vehicles in 1943 since diesel was being more produced than gasoline in the synthetic fuels program at this point so might as well reap the benefits. But the Maybach lobby won. A big mistake IMO since the HL 210/230 were a disaster (only became remotely reliable when governed to 2500rpm and thus about 580hp maximum. The 700 HP Mercedes-Benz diesel would probably have maintained its 700hp without problems).
Is the the MB605 diesel version of DB605?

PKDkd33

Donor
More fuel on the bonfire.

The Elbonians are really dumb.

The Black Prince is a disaster. So it shows us what really does not work in product improving the basic Churchill Mark I.

Now what could be done with the 137.16 cm (54 inch) ring diameter base A22 (Churchill Mark 1).

1. Improve the hatches to be counter-sprung round mouseholes, plug set type (no side hatches wanted. top down entry only.)
2. Overhang a larger in volume new design turret over the ring race so the goddamned turret crew has elbow room not to bang each other in the face as they pass around the ammunition. Ditto, put in a BUSTLE so the radio can be shoved backwards out of the TC's way and the TC and the TC seat can be moved backwards to give the gunner room to sit up straight and actually look through a CENTERED roof mounted periscope sight.
3. Rearrange the ammunition stowage to allow the loader (in the roomier though narrow ringed turret to reach to his left and right to unclip ready rounds off the bracket stowage of his side of the turret overhang.
4. Did I mention that the ballistic shape of the new turret should be ellipsoidal in 2-d so that skip-off presents to incoming fire will be superior to the slab-sided boxy design?
5. Also use an external gun mantlet to increase the volume forward. And balance the turret mass so you do not get side sling?
6. Commander's cupola. I noticed how BLIND the poor TC was buttoned up. I thought an Australian Sentinel was terrible.
7. Tracks need a lot of work. Hint: Sherman solutions.
8. The Glacis is a shot trap. Fix it.
9. The bow machine gun is a shot trap and limited arc. Fix that too.
10. Nothing says ergo goof up like the crewmen having to angle off their seats to use the offset vision blocks and periscopes. The gunner's work station is really bad in this regard.
11. Fire suppression system is substandard.
12. Crew escape routes (hopefully fixed with the new hatches) is TERRIBLE.
13. Install and infantry telephone and a radio set cued for same infantry radio communication, since it is an INFANTRY tank.
14. Relocate the smoke grenade launcher so the TC can actually use it.
15. Put in a blower to clear out the farts.
16. Put bins somewhere to carry all the outside the tank clutter of tools and personal effects that will otherwise hog up room inside the tank.
17. Reroute the air intakes and exhausts to the engine so these do not become a shoot me or grenade me here mission kill bullseye on the tank.
18. As you put antimine and grenade mesh on the engine deck, how about making the mesh stout enough and equipped with infantry handholds so the infantry Tommies can hitch a ride on the tank as it road marches?

Just some thoughts on the Mark 1.

McP.
May I use some of you thoughts in my timeline please ?