How well would a surviving Byzantine Empire have done in comparison to the OTL Ottomans?

This is something that interests me as, one of the arguments that go for the Byzantines doing better than the OTL Ottomans would be that they were an urban culture in comparison to the Ottomans having their origin as a nomadic one, but that just seems like a bit of an odd argument. So, what do you guys think? How do you think the Byzantines would have done in comparison?

For this scenario, I'm generally imagining the imagined empire to have something like the borders during the time of Basil II.

This is something that interests me as, one of the arguments that go for the Byzantines doing better than the OTL Ottomans would be that they were an urban culture in comparison to the Ottomans having their origin as a nomadic one, but that just seems like a bit of an odd argument. So, what do you guys think? How do you think the Byzantines would have done in comparison?

For this scenario, I'm generally imagining the imagined empire to have something like the borders during the time of Basil II.
Badly they would be just a province on a sea of issues

xsampa

Banned
The Fourth Crusade, Venetian Crete/Cyprus, fragmentation in Trabezond, the slow advance of the Turks and Slavic peoples etc means that while a Constantinople heir to the Empire can survive the Empire cannot

impossible to say without more information, there are just too many variables.

Depends on what POD the timeline takes to preserve the Roman Empire, as any divergence could have pretty drastic consequences on how the Empire prospers or even stays alive past its OTL counterpart. The Romans certainly had a lot of problems that left them prone to civil war and infighting, so that'll be an issue that a future great Emperor will have to deal with in order for the Empire to survive.

The Fourth Crusade, Venetian Crete/Cyprus, fragmentation in Trabezond, the slow advance of the Turks and Slavic peoples etc means that while a Constantinople heir to the Empire can survive the Empire cannot

I think the OP's idea is that these events do not happen and that the empire avoids its terminal decline in its last few centuries.

the op said basil II what slavs? by the 11th century bulgaria has been crushed and other slavs are under the empire and even despite loosing anatolia the dabube line held for 100 years more after manzikert , the fourth crusade is gone as the first one would be gone , manzikert was the combination of so many small things and even then romanos could have killed arslan troops or force him to run had he had not been betrayed.

ok so assuming that its basil II borders here you need to prevent the bad leaders of post basil you dont even need 10/10 or 8/10 a 6 would do fine but the byzantines got 3 and 2s for leaders by 1025 the byzantines where a in great position with its only real rivals beeing the hre and the fatimid caliphate
both them unless the pod changes things would decline as well

if and most likely when the turks are defeated the byzantines will do fine till the rise and arrival of the mongols , the mongols migth be the seljuks of this timeline taking anatolia in 1260s or can kick them out in the mountians (assuming the byzantines are stable)

how ever if the byzantine empire can survivive well in to the 15th century it would really be safe from turkick nomadic powers gunpowder would make their tactics more useless as guns get better.
it would also depend what power takes persia and egypt if they are like the safavids and later mameluks you migth see byzantine reconquest as far down as gaza or egypt it self but it would depend or large number of factors.

what i can assure if and most likely when the industrial age arrives the byzantines do far better than the ottomans and industralize earlier , there has been no case of a traditonal chirstian nation (that was not under ocupation) that did not industrialize even russia who treated their individual citizens really bad at the time and had serfdom manged to do it the byzantines would as well.

speaking russian except a byzantine -russian wars here i dont know who would win since on the one hand the byzantines would be more advanced than the ottomans on the other russia with a surviving byzantine empire would modernize earlier .