Hitler's Worst Military Decisions

Hitler's Worst Military Decisions

What were Hitler's worst military decisions?

I'm going with Me-262 as a bomber and Operation Luttich.

Try to avoid the obvious like Stalingrad, Invasion of Soviet Union, not supporting Rommel enough and declaring war on the United States. We have frankly discussed them far to often already;)

Maybe launching the Kursk offensive. Certainly the most costly.
It was a blatantly obvious target and where the Germans lost the most.
Obviously, the question becomes what to do instead.

Hitler's worst decision in my opinion was invading Poland and starting WW2. He should have stopped after Czechoslovakia and prepared the German Military for the inevitable war against the Soviet Union.

Hitler's worst decision in my opinion was invading Poland and starting WW2. He should have stopped after Czechoslovakia and prepared the German Military for the inevitable war against the Soviet Union.

I was going to be a smartass and most of them, but that also covers a fairly large multitude of sins.:p

The sheer amount of resources wasted on the Holocaust, the Einsatzgruppen, and all of his other genocidal insanity. Even though they weren't, strictly speaking, military decisions they had enormous military implications and wasted resources and personnel that would have been more useful on the front lines. That is, of course, before one goes into how utterly horrible, inhumane, and disturbing all of that was in the first place.

A close second would be how utterly inefficient, ridden with infighting, and dysfunctional his administrative apparatus was by deliberate design. It worked great for maintaining internal control but beyond that was one of the biggest hindrances to Nazi Germany.

I think we can all safely say that Hitler was not a diplomatist or a strategist.

Imagine what would have happened if he followed through with Operation Tannenbaum!

I think we can all safely say that Hitler was not a diplomatist or a strategist.

Imagine what would have happened if he followed through with Operation Tannenbaum!

Another manpower sink for the Allies to drain German soldiers from, undoubtedly. Perhaps we would have recovered all that Nazigeld they stacked in Swiss accounts in OTL, not to mention a NATO Switzerland (if neutrality failed a second time around, it's unlikely they'll continue with it.)

Yuelang

Banned
Allying with Italy... that was the very reason that nailed the coffin, without having to divert manpower in africa and balkans, Nazi has their chance to win WW2 with NEUTRAL italy...

and Allied Italy will end up draining British manpower since they will invade some axis country will disastrous result as well... it would help Germany even better

Invading the Soviet Union and declaring war on the United States easily was his worst decisions.

of this i agree...

he should have consolidated more...

defeating France and getting them out of the way was important and wound up being moderately painless..

I will second .. the sheer waste of resources spent on the racist aspects of the regime were ludicrous as well ...

Honestly .. if he would have just stopped at no poland...
then again .. say he didnt invade poland.. no WW II

Germany would be a sheer hell to live in..

Bad military decisions were his hallmark, but overall his economic and socio-economic ones were far far worse.

Last edited: