Help: South America with more countries

Hello, everybody. I'm working on an alternative story, for now I'm seeing how many nations will exist today all over the world in my story, but I also want there to be more countries in some continents. For example, in South America there are between 20 to 50 countries unlike OTL. But sometimes the territorial divisions don't seem very real.

The following image is an advance of how I divided the South American continent. I would like to hear opinions and comments on this before moving on to the other continents

Anotación 2019-09-26 104931.jpg

Last edited:
[QUOTE = "Filósofo Jaden Smith, publicación: 19531269, miembro: 124703"] La imagen no está allí ... [/ QUOTE]
there was a mistake but that's it!

The West Coast could be done by a Gunpowder-capable Inca (or other society) fending off the Spanish and splintering in the 18th century

1 could be a British colony, 2 could be the Welsh or Mapuche. Most of the rest of it, especially Brazil and Argentina, is just crazy.

I'm not sure about all of those landlocked countries in Brazil (in particular, the Amazon watershed countries of 26 and 27(?) seem like they'd make more sense as a single unit), and 30 pretty much has to be an overseas territory or associated state of some larger country--it's just not large enough to get by on its own. Some of these borders are a bit strange looking--any particular reason you divided things up this way?

I'm not sure about all of those landlocked countries in Brazil (in particular, the Amazon watershed countries of 26 and 27(?) seem like they'd make more sense as a single unit), and 30 pretty much has to be an overseas territory or associated state of some larger country--it's just not large enough to get by on its own. Some of these borders are a bit strange looking--any particular reason you divided things up this way?

Then country 30 will join 1. Nations 26 and 27 will be just one country.
The divisions partially followed the national subdivisions of the OTL countries with differences in some tranches.

Yeah I agree with everyone so far 26 is not a viable country, unless it’s like some sort of giant biological reserve a la Antartica.

30 again way to small to be own independent country, merge it was somebody on the mainland if you want it native South American.

25 is another I don’t think works.

Also the problem with 1&2 are they’re in places where not many people are, and ignore the Andes it’d be more realistic to merge them, but then split on an East-West basis along ridge of Andes.

Yeah I agree with everyone so far 26 is not a viable country, unless it’s like some sort of giant biological reserve a la Antartica.

30 again way to small to be own independent country, merge it was somebody on the mainland if you want it native South American.

25 is another I don’t think works.

Also the problem with 1&2 are they’re in places where not many people are, and ignore the Andes it’d be more realistic to merge them, but then split on an East-West basis along ridge of Andes.
The 25 has capital in Bogota

What's wrong with 1 and 2?
Patagonia is a desert with very little population (less than two million people), 1 and 2 together might work out, but even then the current local economy is the fruit of decades of subsidy by Buenos Aires and Santiago, after so long one would wonder why split off to begin with.

I would combine the following:
  • 12 and 13
  • 10 and 11
  • 1, 2 and 30 - unless 30 is an overseas dependency of someone
  • 25 with either 22 or 27
  • 26 and 27
  • 19 and 28
  • 5/16/17 with that unnumbered area
  • 15 with either 10-11 or 12-13

26 only makes sense to merge with 27 because of the Amazon River, the other countries around it would have to deal with a rather unforgiving jungle.

Patagonia is a desert with very little population (less than two million people)
I don't know what definition of Patagonia that population statistic is using, but it's not one that's equivalent to 1 and 2, which by my calculations (read: eyeballing their territories on the map and comparing them to the relevant Chilean regions and Argentine provinces) contain something in the vicinity of at least 600,000 and 6 million people, respectively--4 million people in the Chilean parts of 2 alone. Which does make 1 kinda small, but only on the level of somewhere like Suriname (560,000) or Iceland (340,000), both of which are perfectly viable countries.
1 might be able to get by by relying on maritime routes, but the Andes are certainly an issue for 2, yes.

Skallagrim

Banned
Never listen to people who moan about countries not being "viable". Yes, those countries are viable. Are they all going to be rich and powerful? No. Are they all capable of existing? Of course they are.

Iceland is viable. Andorra is viable. Namibia is viable. An endless succession of Arabian countries has been viable long before the discovery of oil, and would have remained viable even if oil had never been discovered there. Not to mention the countless small island nations of this Earth-- many of them lacking in useful resources.

You know why? Because borders aren't magically impenetrable walls (insert obvious joke about American politics here), and trade exists.

All countries on this map are viable. Some of them will be poor, or powerless, or dependent on certain imports... but that is rarely a matter of true concern.

Well, a British Patagonia has been widely discussed on this site (and including in my own TL), so that would be a good one. Perhaps some surviving native states in the Andes, too.

You can further balkanize 28 into at least two states, one centered around Bahia and one around Pernambuco.

Both Amazon states should be merged.

11 and 15 should probably be merged or annexed by São Paulo.

Thank you for your comments. I have modified the map reorganizing the border limits of these nations keeping still 30 as the number of South American nations, adding the possible capitals. I will be grateful for comments and objections.

AAAAAnotación 2019-09-26 193814.jpg