Hail, Britannia

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
Ive always been a big fan of Joachim so anything in a TL that gives him more of a legacy is fine by me...
I’m seriously tempted :p

I thought the idea of Accra voting to abandon their sovereignty and join a larger nation was rather rare or unlikely, but the current OTL situation in Lebanon makes me think it might be more common ITTL, maybe even normal
Accra is rather a unique situation as A) it was already heavily linked to the larger nation, B) used to be apart of the larger nation but in a different context, C) there are systems in place to allow such a situation and D) has the public and political support in both parties supporting the accession.
Indeed. Accra has the benefit of the precedent set by Sierra Leone. Though it’s worth pointing out they are the only two sovereign states to voluntarily surrender their sovereignty - similar I suppose to OTL Newfoundland.

The extent to which the annexation of Mongolia and (OTL) Xinjiang to the Soviet Union was Democratic is debatable given their status as one-party Communist states at the time. So it wouldn’t be seen as a parallel.

The reorganisation of Mexico as the Second Empire after the Mexican War (TTL’s Mexican-American War) and the reintegration of Central America and the Yucatan could be comparable I suppose...

Ooh. Bérénice and Isaac are tied for votes right now.
Both from relatively lesser-known dominions & provinces so I'm excited for that.
I think we should make people choose between Bérénice and Isaac after this, if it remains a tie between them.
It's been a whole day and Laurent and Herzog are still tied while still gaining in votes
An interesting outcome...

I’ll post a new poll today or tomorrow to choose between Herzog and Laurent.

Milliband missing the boat was hilarious yet also incredibly believable. Great work!
Credit to TB for that. But yep, totally believable :)

Last edited:

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
Thanks to everyone who voted in the poll. As we seem to be in a deadlock the final two candidates Herzog and Laurent will go into a runoff vote.

I'll check the results from this poll on Wednesday, then get to work on the wikibox.

Here is the poll.

Isaac Herzog (Westralia; Ararat and the Islands): SDP MIP since 2013, and former Chief Minister of Ararat. A very much foreign policy, liberal-internationalist chap who knows to tack to the left every once in a while but overall is of the moderate faction. Would be the first Jewish prime minister since Javits if he led the SDP to victory, the first from the SDP, and the first to hail from Westralia.

Endorsed by Anthony Brown and Nick Brown.​

Bérénice Laurent (Ohio Country; Ville de Detroit): Black British, Francophone, MIP for Detroit, she has been a strong voice from the backbenches for the SDP to "rediscover its values" and notably is the most mute about their criticism of the Lim government, to the point where it's understood that the embattled former PM would prefer her to win. Would be the first Francophone PM since Trudeau if she led the SDP to victory, and the first Black British PM.

Endorsed by Sir Paul Krugman and Olivia Chow.​
John Delaney, who was eliminated after the third round of voting, refused to endorse any candidate and his supporters largely split between Herzog and Laurent.

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
Is there going to be a Liberal leadership vote?
Unlikely this year. But possibly before the next imperial election. I’d have to decide on candidates etc...

View attachment 573984
We are approaching the cursed ratio...
Indeed...

Why is this cursed, it is the will of the people no matter what side of the argument you are on?
It’s the OTL 2016 UK EU referendum results... it is the will of the people but Farage said before the result that if there was a narrow win for remain it would be far from over:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36306681

Unlikely this year. But possibly before the next imperial election. I’d have to decide on candidates etc...

Indeed...

It’s the OTL 2016 UK EU referendum results... it is the will of the people but Farage said before the result that if there was a narrow win for remain it would be far from over:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36306681
I know it's the Referendum vote, but as someone who voted for remain I don't see why it should classed as Cursed, as for Farage well he is correct as a remain result wouldn't have ended the discussion on Britain relationships with EU, the leave campaign would have looked at the results and likely decided a plan of action on why they didn't win and how if possible another referendum could be realistic set up at some point and if a leave vote would be successful at that time.

Considering Farage had been campaigning against further EU fedalisum for years and its understandable that he was prepared to fight on for his cause in the case of a remain result, knowing that his task would likely be more difficult and his opponents now had a remain vote to vindicate them.

The problem with the referendum vote isn't the actual vote but that neither the British Government, the EU government (yes I do remember them being in as much chaos after the vote), the remain campaign and most of the leave campaign (they wanted a leave result but practically thought the referendum was a testing of the waters) didn't think a leave result was possible, and as such had not prepared at all for the outcome and were in chaos about what to do now.

Personally I stopped watching the news a couple of weeks after the referendum partially because I had other things to worry about as I was finishing my masters degree at the time and didn't need the extra stress , but mostly because the neither the UK or EU government hadn't a clue what they were doing and hadn't prepared at all for this possible scenario (which considering Article 50 had been on the books for years is saying something) which infuriated and disgusted me.

In my view the vote was never cursed the assumptions and political will around it were, as it blinded nearly everybody to the fact it was a two outcome question and no matter the odds, both results can happen and you should prepare for both outcomes.

I know it's the Referendum vote, but as someone who voted for remain I don't see why it should classed as Cursed, as for Farage well he is correct as a remain result wouldn't have ended the discussion on Britain relationships with EU, the leave campaign would have looked at the results and likely decided a plan of action on why they didn't win and how if possible another referendum could be realistic set up at some point and if a leave vote would be successful at that time.

Considering Farage had been campaigning against further EU fedalisum for years and its understandable that he was prepared to fight on for his cause in the case of a remain result, knowing that his task would likely be more difficult and his opponents now had a remain vote to vindicate them.

The problem with the referendum vote isn't the actual vote but that neither the British Government, the EU government (yes I do remember them being in as much chaos after the vote), the remain campaign and most of the leave campaign (they wanted a leave result but practically thought the referendum was a testing of the waters) didn't think a leave result was possible, and as such had not prepared at all for the outcome and were in chaos about what to do now.

Personally I stopped watching the news a couple of weeks after the referendum partially because I had other things to worry about as I was finishing my masters degree at the time and didn't need the extra stress , but mostly because the neither the UK or EU government hadn't a clue what they were doing and hadn't prepared at all for this possible scenario (which considering Article 50 had been on the books for years is saying something) which infuriated and disgusted me.

In my view the vote was never cursed the assumptions and political will around it were, as it blinded nearly everybody to the fact it was a two outcome question and no matter the odds, both results can happen and you should prepare for both outcomes.
Woah, calm down, I did not criticize the results, I just meant it is the "cursed ratio" because it unexpectedly plunged the UK into political chaos for some time.

Woah, calm down, I did not criticize the results, I just meant it is the "cursed ratio" because it unexpectedly plunged the UK into political chaos for some time.
And I am not getting angry or agitated, I just wanted clarification about why it cursed as due to it being a complex and contentious topic for both sides of argument and the people watching from the outside.

I didn’t know what you trying comment on or in what context so I was A) trying get a clarification and B) understand your thought process.

Going by your clarification I can now see where you are coming from but will point out that the chaos likely wouldn’t have either been there or been minimised if there has been at least a road map for both scenarios.

Anastasia, Princess of Alaska

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor

Anastasia, Princess of Alaska (Russian: Анастаси́я Никола́евна Рома́нова, tr. Anastasíya Nikoláyevna Románova; 18 June [O.S. 5 June] 1901 – 7 April 1989), commonly known as Grand Duchess Anastasia of Russia for most of her life, was the youngest daughter of Tsar Nikolai II, the last sovereign of Imperial Russia, and his wife, Princess Alix of Hesse. Anastasia was the only child of the Tsar to survive the Russian Revolution and was Princess consort of Alaska from the accession of her husband, Prince Aleksandr IV Baranov, in 1940 to his death in 1955.

Born in 1901 at Peterhof Palace in Saint Petersburg, the fourth of five children born to the reigning Emperor and Empress of Russia, Anastasia and her siblings were raised in relatively austere and simple surroundings. Described as gifted and intelligent, Anastasia suffered from poor physical health for much of her early life and was especially close to her grandmother Empress Maria Feodorovna. Her mother's relationship with Grigori Rasputin, and the many associated scandals that surrounded the Imperial family, informed much of Anastasia's formative years - although she refused to speak of him after her escape from Russia, and rarely discussed her family publicly.

During the First World War, Anastasia was too young to become Red Cross nurses, but frequently visited wounded soldiers. Following a bout of ill health in 1916, the Tsar took Anastasis with him to Kiev to visit her grandmother on the 50th anniversary of her arrival in Russia. Despite the protestations of her mother, Tsarina Alexandra Feodorovna, Anastasia remained in Kiev with her grandmother as the Russian Revolution began. Following the February Revolution, and her father's abdication on 15 March, Anastasia remained in Kiev before travelling with her grandmother and other refugee Romanovs to the Crimea. Reports eventually reached the imperial exiles that the Tsar, his wife, children and brothers had been murdered by the Bolsheviks. Anastasia reportedly wept for days and prayed for her family, while her grandmother publicly rejected the report as a rumour and never accepted their deaths.

Despite the overthrow of the monarchy and the murder of her family, Anastasia did not leave Russia until 1919, when King-Emperor George V sent a Royal Navy warship to retrieve Anastasia, her grandmother and 16 other Romanovs from the Crimea. After a brief stay in Malta, they travelled to England and stayed with Queen-Empress Dowager Alexandra at Sandringham House in Norfolk. During this time, Anastasia became close with her cousin, George Mikhailovich, Count Brasov, and was introduced to Aleksandr Baranov, eldest son and heir to the Prince of Alaska. After a brief courtship, the pair were married in 1923 and settled in Novo Arkhangelsk, where many Russian émigrées had relocated. Her grandmother and cousin eventually joined her, and George would marry Lady Julia Baranova, Anastasia's sister-in-law.

Although an intensely private woman after escaping her homeland, Anastasia would become a tireless campaigner for the Red Cross, volunteering in hospitals and clinics and championing many health-related causes. She was also a very religious woman, regularly attending public services at Orthodox Catholic churches. Anastasia and her husband had three children; two sons, Pyotr and Nikolai, both of whom eventually reigned as Princes of Alaska, and a daughter, Alexandra. During her husband's tenure as prince, Anastasia was arguable the more popular of the pair, regularly attending civilian events across Alaska and supporting the war effort. Prince Aleksandr suffered from ill health in the late 1940s and early 50s, believed to have been bone cancer, and Anastasia increasingly undertook solo engagements, including representing her husband at the coronation of Queen-Empress Elizabeth II.

Following her husband's death in 1955, Anastasia went into mourning and reduced her public appearances. The Princess Dowager spent much of her time in seclusion at Orthodox Catholic monasteries, occassionally appearing at important family events, or greeting notable Russian émigrées. In her later years Anastasia was plagued by ill health, a recurrence of conditions from earlier in her life, and was repeatedly hospitalised. Anastasia passed away on 7 April 1989 at Mikhaila Castle, the official residence of the Alaskan princely family, at the age of 87. She was buried at St. Michael's Cathedral in Novo Arkhangelsk, the only member of Nikolai II's family buried outside Russia. She is remembered fondly by the people of Alaska, who refer to her as "the Grand Duchess" and "Our Anastasia" with great affection.

Last edited:
Guys.

This is not the appropriate venue for this debate.

End of the discussion.
Done, all I wanted is clarification as I didn’t understand what exactly was Cursed.
Anastasia
Mmm, it nice to see she survived, did she have a good relationship with the British Royal Family, it would have been nice to see that relationship in a bit more detail.

Lastly, who is the picture of in OTL, or is it a mock up picture of what Anastasia would have looked like?

I have 2 questions:
1) Seeing just how large the Commonwealth is, has there been serious talks about the idea of world federalism under the Windsors (at least before India left)?
2) Has there been talks of countries leaving the European Union, and which country is the closest (even if not really close) to leaving?

Great Movie, so I hope it still get's made.

Question, though, in the tradition of the first post on this thread, what are the current 2020 candidates up to in this timeline.?

LeinadB93

Monthly Donor
Does the Don Bluth movie still get made ITTL?
Unfortunately not. Give her actual escape ITTL.

I have 2 questions:
1) Seeing just how large the Commonwealth is, has there been serious talks about the idea of world federalism under the Windsors (at least before India left)?
There were talks of bringing dominions such as Patagonia, Capeland and even the Philippines into the Union before the First World War. But after there was a kind of inevitability about the dissolution of the colonial empire. India was never considered as demographically it would have dominated.

2) Has there been talks of countries leaving the European Union, and which country is the closest (even if not really close) to leaving?
Hanover and Altava would probably be the closest to leaving. Hanover has historically close ties to the Commonwealth and there is strong Eurosceptic sentiment, and though some politicians call for a “Hanexit” there is no mainstream support. Altava is partly due to its position in North Africa, and the perceived lack of support from the EU for the migrant crisis on its borders. It’s historic isolation plus a role, and it was a begrudging member at first and only really joined due to

Question, though, in the tradition of the first post on this thread, what are the current 2020 candidates up to in this timeline.?
I’ll probably do a post on them after the election like I did for the 2016 candidates:

Trump - much as he was back in 2016, still hasn’t got himself booted from the Lords (Imperial or Columbia).
Biden - don’t want to spoil too much.
Jorgensen - backbench Libertarian list MIP
Hawkins - leader of the Ecological-Radical Movement in the Ohio Country