• Post made for three hours last night (9pm-12am EST) have been deleted. This was necessary due to some problems with server maintenance. Anyone who had problems logging into their account during this time should be fine now.

Grand Registry of American Civil War trivia

One of the more "popular" AH factoids is that Garibaldi offered to fight for the Union in the American Civil War, but was politely rebuffed by Lincoln. Another pop fact is that Russia (article may be editorialized) was diplomatically involved in the war. What other wacky facts are there for AH potential?

* The king of Siam offered to send elephants to President Lincoln as presents in 1860, who politely declined. What if he offered to send war elephants later on, and Lincoln approves?

* U.S. Camel Corps- also predate ACW, but if they kept up the program we could have zouaves riding camels fighting it out in Texas.

* Australia was affected by the ACW, mostly because of the C.S.S. Shenandoah hanging out in the area, but also because there were fears of either Union or Imperial Russian attack.

* San Marino is adorable.

In the spring of 1861, shortly before the beginning of the American Civil War, the government of San Marino wrote a letter (in "perfect Italian on one side, and imperfect but clear English on the other"[6]) to United States President Abraham Lincoln, proposing an "alliance" between the two democratic nations and offering the President honorary San Marino citizenship. Lincoln accepted the offer, writing (with his Secretary of State, William H. Seward) in reply that San Marino proved that "government founded on republican principles is capable of being so administered as to be secure and enduring."[7]

Presaging a theme he would bring to the fore, using similar language, in his Gettysburg Address in 1863, Lincoln wrote: “You have kindly adverted to the trial through which this Republic is now passing. It is one of deep import. It involves the question whether a Representative republic, extended and aggrandized so much as to be safe against foreign enemies can save itself from the dangers of domestic faction. I have faith in a good result...."[6]

* Morocco, despite having been one of the first countries the young U.S. had fought after independence, resolutely affirmed support for the Union over the Confederacy.

* Dutch Suriname could have been a destination for freemen.

Marx was a big fan of Lincoln and Charles Francis Adams sent him a response. So Honest Abe might have been of the opinion: 'Better Red than Reb!'

WI Brigades Internationales had formed nearly seventy years before the Spanish Civil War?

Anaxagoras

Banned
WI Brigades Internationales had formed nearly seventy years before the Spanish Civil War?

It would have been the height of foolishness for Lincoln to accept international military assistance in the fight against the Confederacy. The official position of the United States government was that the war was the suppression of an internal rebellion against its authority and that the CSA was not a legitimate nation. To bring in foreign military forces to suppress a rebellion looks weak. Moreover, there was a strong nativist element in the Republican Party which would have been outraged by such an action. Democrats would have had a field day and it would have all-around been a disaster.

And yet 'Ich fight mit Siegel' was a byword among recent migrants from Germany. There were Irish units on both sides, although in much stronger numbers for the Union. French princes cames to serve on both side with the count of Paris on the side of the Union and the prince de Polignac fighting for the Confederacy. I'm not proposing a flooding of the Union with BI, just that it would be interesting to see a dedicated group of youngsters enthused by the founding of the First International rushing to the US and asking to enlist, just in time to take part in the last months of the siege of Petersburg and the Appomatox Campaign. Or to appoint themselves as the protectors of Lincoln just as Ward Hill Lamon did. Wouldn't it be fun for young communists to stop Booth dead in his tracks? I don't even advocate for their scheme to succeed. Just the fallout of such a mobilization would be fun to speculate about.

Saphroneth

Banned
Another pop fact is that Russia (article may be editorialized) was diplomatically involved in the war.

That article makes my hands itch. It's got significant factual errors...

Here's just one.
The Royal Navy had ironclads, but they were only usable in deep water.

Clearly the author of this article hasn't heard of Aetna, Erebus, Terror, Thunder, Thunderbolt, Glatton, Trusty or Meteor. Seven of these eight ironclads were still around at the time of the ACW and they were all shallow draft - over half of them were shallower than Monitor.

Here's just one.

Don't let it bother you too much. It's from the Réseau Voltaire, a known French conspiracy theory website which heavily supported Gaddhafi and still supports el-Assad, mostly in the name of antizionism. Assume everything put on it is wrong or has an agenda behind it and you won't be far off the mark.

Saphroneth

Banned
Don't let it bother you too much. It's from the Réseau Voltaire, a known French conspiracy theory website which heavily supported Gaddhafi and still supports el-Assad, mostly in the name of antizionism. Assume everything put on it is wrong or has an agenda behind it and you won't be far off the mark.
Fair enough.

I guess it just kind of annoys me that the first eight RN ironclads between them have less recognition or wiki space than, say, CSS Arkansas. Despite the former including the world's first ships with rolled wrought iron armour...

How about, William Tecumseh Sherman was raised as a Roman Catholic.

Perhaps not a vital fact, but still interesting.
(And seemingly something else of which a certain bad AH writer was blissfully unaware ...
... I know I just seem to be unable not to mention it, I'm sorry)

The Northwest Conspiracy was an attempt to create a Confederacy in the former Northwest Territory. Check out "The Northwest Conspiracy" by Thomas Fleming in What Ifs? of American History. David T's original post on SHWI is here. I actually learned about it from my AP U.S. History textbook - The American Pageant.

Apparently, pre-Sumter, secession was quite popular in the freaking heart of the Union itself - the Central Confederacy was a thing. Original source in a thread by Robert (RIP).

Last edited:

Here's just one.

Clearly the author of this article hasn't heard of Aetna, Erebus, Terror, Thunder, Thunderbolt, Glatton, Trusty or Meteor. Seven of these eight ironclads were still around at the time of the ACW and they were all shallow draft - over half of them were shallower than Monitor.

I doubt they particularly did the research but could they have meant available for North America?

Crossing the Atlantic in a shallow draft ironclad sounds like a fairly risky prospect.

Saphroneth

Banned
I doubt they particularly did the research but could they have meant available for North America?

Crossing the Atlantic in a shallow draft ironclad sounds like a fairly risky prospect.
I don't mean to giggle, but as it happens HMS Terror was the first ironclad ever to enter American waters*. She was the guardship at Bermuda in 1861, and was nearly fired upon by an American sloop (Dacotah) while cruising along the American coast in the latter half of that year.

They were a bit clumsy, and tended to be taken under tow for oceanic transit, but were quite capable of cruising independently - far more seaworthy than Monitor, that's for sure!

hms-terror.jpg

* at least, that is, in commission; I'm not sure if there were any non-commissioned ironclad vessels in American waters before the Terror. She certainly predates Virginia and Monitor both though.

Despite being officially neutral, a number of Native Hawaiians joined both the Union and Confederacy.
The current number is believed to be around 100, but since many are likely to have joined under "American" names or misspellings and butcherings of Hawaiian names, it's possible that there were more.

About 60 Chinese also fought in the Civil War, most famously, the sons of Chang and Eng Bunker fought for the Confederacy.
The Siamese Twins were rather prosperous slave owners at this time.

wtf why did Hawaiians even go to the continental U.S. before they were annexed.

The vast majority were the sons of Missionaries who had married into Hawaiian families.
As a result a vast majority of Hawaiians felt sympathetic to the Union, and saw it as their duty to go and fight for the US.

For example, Henry Ho'olulu Pitman was the son of a Massachusetts Pioneer and Hawaiian royalty.

Others were sailors on merchant vessels and ships that got drafted into the war, thus the Hawaiians became part of the navy.

The 12 Hawaiian sailors that fought on the CSS Shenandoah, who were likely forced to have joined the crew after the Shenandoah sank their whaling vessels