Gold Eagles question

Since the $10 gold Eagle coins from the Mint are legal tender, would you be able to buy things with them? For example lets say the Eagles are worth $800 and you buy something for $8000. Could you hand over 10 eagles( face value $100) instead of $8000 cash. Then what would you pay taxes on? $100 or $8000?
That is of course you find someone willing to make the deal.

IIRC even if it's worth more to a collector you can only use a money in the US for the stated value of it. However if you strike a deal with whoever you're buying the stuff worth $8000 from then you're fine.

I'd think the only one who'd be 'willing to make the deal' would be a rare coins dealer, because he's about the only one who'd have a real idea of what they are worth. Most people wouldn't, and would be looking at that face value of $10, and having no clue as to what it's really worth. Try to tell the cashier at Walmart that 'sure, this coin has a face value of $10, but it's really worth $800!', and they're likely to ask you for 'real money' instead...

My brother bought a dozen beers from me with an Australian 1966 50c coin, the silver value was about $9 at the time, but a shop wouldn't accept it as $9.

I'd think the only one who'd be 'willing to make the deal' would be a rare coins dealer, because he's about the only one who'd have a real idea of what they are worth. Most people wouldn't, and would be looking at that face value of $10, and having no clue as to what it's really worth. Try to tell the cashier at Walmart that 'sure, this coin has a face value of $10, but it's really worth $800!', and they're likely to ask you for 'real money' instead...
My sister got a silver dollar (the recent kind) in payment. There is a religious book company which I don't patronize that gives discounts for those who pay in gold and silver.