tumblr_nprablkJoQ1qiu1coo1_540.jpg

And a portrait of he and Louise with their dog. I didn't know they had a dog, but apparently this was a particular pet of theirs. No names supplied though

James%2BSant%2Bc%2B1855.png

And another portrait with a moustache that puts Bismarck and Napoléon III's to shame. Although according to some sources this is Henri, duc d'Aumale. And compared with the print above, the face shape seems wrong (more ice-cream-cone shaped where in the print it's oval), IDK if that could be just due to age and weight gain (your face is one of the most visible places you gain weight in some people) or just artistic license. Either way, given the similarities in appearance between Henri-Frankie-Ferdinand d'Orléans OTL, it's not impossible to think that Henri de Chambord and Henri d'Aumale will look similar

Now I just need to think about what to do with Silesia. The Rhineland territories were "easy" to split from Prussia. Most of them were only acquired in the last 20years or so. Silesia, OTOH, has been Prussian for the last century. Which means its not going to be as easy to sell them that they need to give it up.

I don't think any solution regarding Silesia around 40's of XIXth century (that's where we're right now) would have something to do with Poland, I think it'd be simply brought back into Bohemia.

I don't think any solution regarding Silesia around 40's of XIXth century (that's where we're right now) would have something to do with Poland, I think it'd be simply brought back into Bohemia.
That would likely be an extra big blow to Prussian pride, since it was Fred the Great who took it from Bohemia back in the day

was more wondering as to whether it would affect Russian and Prussian held Poland any. I imagine Russia would be against Austria suddenly having this massive bloc of territory right next to Austrian-held Galicia for worries that it might give Austria "ambitions" of recreating a kingdom in Galicia. Especially with how Polonophilic Frankie was known to be OTL.
That would likely be an extra big blow to Prussian pride, since it was Fred the Great who took it from Bohemia back in the day
It would. The problem would be that the region's been administered by Prussians (Protestants?) for the last century. And, AIUI, administered reasonably "well" (not necessarily brilliantly, but certainly well enough that the locals might mind all these nice (Catholic) troops in Austrian uniforms tramping around). The religious issues are likely to flare up, no?

Lets just say that Leopold's stock ib Europe ATM is pretty darn low. Belgium might not have "helped" much. In fact, Murat's antics may have taken up the most of Leopold's army's time. I dont see Leo being regarded well enough in Europe that he'll get a pair of Habsburgs for his son and daughter. OTOH, now that Sisi's dad is right next door in Dusseldorf, I could definitely see Duchess Ludovika "re-angling" her trajectory for her girls...anyone for Sisi married to Léopold II of Belgium *evil laugh*
The one pushed forward for a crown would be Helene not Elisabeth…

Not really, but I imagine it hurts more to regive it to the Habsburgs than if it was someone else

There isn't anyone else who could receive it (Saxony could get parts of it, but not more) and I don't think Frankie cares.

was more wondering as to whether it would affect Russian and Prussian held Poland any. I imagine Russia would be against Austria suddenly having this massive bloc of territory right next to Austrian-held Galicia for worries that it might give Austria "ambitions" of recreating a kingdom in Galicia. Especially with how Polonophilic Frankie was known to be OTL.

It would. The problem would be that the region's been administered by Prussians (Protestants?) for the last century. And, AIUI, administered reasonably "well" (not necessarily brilliantly, but certainly well enough that the locals might mind all these nice (Catholic) troops in Austrian uniforms tramping around). The religious issues are likely to flare up, no?

Well not really, except that https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wasserpolak would probably not get germanized (or as much germanized as IOTL) under Austrian management of the land.
Tsar is king of Poland as far as European powers are concerned and it's doubtful that Frankie would go to war just to sake of wrestling Congress Poland away from Russians.

Solitudinem Faciunt Pacem Appellant [1]
For @isabella (essentially all the house of Savoy has left after this treaty is the kingdom of Sardinia)

Soundtrack: Verdi - I Lombardi alla Prima Crociato - S'ascolta il voler cittadino - All'empio che infrange la santa promessa [1]

*exterior* *Milan* *the city is in gala dress* *practically thrumming with anticipation*
*exterior* *the inner courtyard of the Basilica of Sant' Ambrogio* *Metternich enters from one side of the court to a table placed precisely in the middle of the court* *to the other side of the table arrives a very sour looking Carlo Alberto, King of Sardinia, flanked by his wife, children and daughter-in-law* *also with him are the French ambassador, Narcisse-Achille, Comte de Salvandy and Eugène Ney [2]*
Metternich: Monsieur le Comte, I am so glad that we were able to come to a peaceable settlement
Salvandy: it is only thanks to your Serene Highness' abilities that we are all assembled here for this...momentous occasion. My master wishes me to express his utmost gratitude and the intense regard in which he holds you.
Metternich: and I hope to prove to his Majesty in doing so that he can count on support from the Austrians should the French prove...unseasonal...in their disposition towards him.
Salvandy: *as all sit down* we are so glad that Vienna has found the French proposal of extending the Austrian territory as far as the Val d'Aosta to its satsifaction.
Metternich: no doubt the Austrians will be able to better assist our allies now that we are directly neighbours in the Piedmont.
Carlo Alberto: this is absurd! We will not forget Paris' treachery in this matter, nor will we forgive your master's treachery, Salvandy.
Salvandy: there is no treachery, your Majesty. The French king has agreed to allow you to retain Sardinia, it is not our fault that the Austrians landed in Genoa, beat your army like a drum and that it was required for the French to involve themselves restoring your authority. The king simply sees your noble sacrifice as fitting payment for his efforts to restore you to your throne.
Carlo Alberto: *snarling* by banishing me to Sardinia?
Metternich: *offers the pen to Carlo Alberto* if your Majesty will please sign.
Carlo Alberto: *at first, stubbornly refuses to*
Maria Teresa: *sad* *glaring at Metternich* *begging* please, Alberto. If you do not, they might take Sardinia as well, and then we will be-
Carlo Alberto: *sighs* *signs on the paper* *then shoves it at Salvandy*
Salvandy: *takes it* *about to sign when he reads what Carlo Alberto signed "J'abdique" [I abdicate]* your Majesty, I'm afraid you misunderstood what is-
Carlo Alberto: I understood perfectly, Monsieur le Comte. And I will sooner abdicate than what I will cede one inch of my territory to become a French vassal. May Heaven's curse fall on the head of your master that he ends the same as Napoléon, since he is not worthy to die like Saint Louis [XVI] and his wife.
Metternich: it's truly no matter, sire. The prince of Piedmont, or should I say, the new king of Sardinia, is present here after all. *offers the pen to Vittorio Emanuele*
Carlo Alberto: *mockingly* c'est bon, a deaf boy who can barely read or write [3] will sign a document just because Paris and Vienna told him too. His first act as king will be to sign away his inheritance!
Vittorio Emanuele: papa, we have fought, and we have lost. I will not repeat your foolishness by instead of accepting terms that would've left us Piedmont, you invited the French to our foyer. *signs the treaty* *turns to his mother, wife, brother and sister* forgive me. [4]
Carlo Alberto: it is a weak king who asks the forgiveness of his subjects.
Vittorio Emanuele: and it is a king driven by pride who wishes to continue fighting when there is more to lose than to gain.
Carlo Alberto: so the macellaiotto [5] would tell his king how to rule?
Vittorio Emanuele: you abdicated, papa. That means that the macellaiotto your are insulting is the king now. And as your king, I order you to apologize to Mama for such slander.
Maria Teresa: *looks embarrassed, both by her husband's outburst and by her son's response*
Genoa and Cristina: *all just look like they want to be "anywhere" not here*
Carlo Alberto: *stares his son down* *as though to say: "make me"*
Maria Beatrice: *finally steps between the men* *like she has done this a thousand times before* *and perhaps she has* stop! I will not have this odour of injury poison the child that God has placed in my womb! *nobody else seems to have known she was pregnant* cease this reproaching of one another! You are like the Thebans who will not stop until you have slit one another's throats! Look to your own consciences, they *looks at Metternich and Salvandy* have been able to do this because of the rancour between you *looks at her husband and father-in-law* Do you see what damage your squabble has brought to our home?
*now Carlo Alberto actually looks embarrassed* *not by the "guilt" but by being shown as unable to control his daughter-in-law*
Metternich: *half-smirking* *as if to say "she's right you know"*
Maria Beatrice: *rounding on Metternich* and you, Prince Munster, you are limited in your abilities, infinite in your rapaciousness, only loving that which you do not possess. You are the idol of a fallen god who remembers the heavens. People complain of the despotism of princes, but yours is no less than theirs. You hold the people that you so make Austrians or Frenchmen with the stroke of a pen in the same contempt that Rousseau held the great seigneurs: I warrant that had you been born in a hovel in Corsica instead of a castle in the Rhineland, you would be no different, after all, it is the most abominable despots who, on seizing a sceptre, are precisely the same men who ranted against despotism.
Metternich: your Royal Highness, to compare me to Emperor Napoléon is...rather disingenious. That assumes we have the same aims.
Maria Beatrice: *smiles at Metternich as she takes a step towards the table* but you do, Prince Munster. You are a man who cannot bear the thought of any being superior to him. You are one of those men who believe in equality just as he did. A depraved taste for wishing to bringing all down to the same level: the "equality" of which you speak is an unnatural desire that is best expressed as "let no man occupy a higher seat than I do". Your equality and Napoléon's is an equality in slavery because you could not tolerate an equality in liberty. You are both borne onwards by an invincible pride continually to overthrow every thing which they have not made; and in order to work out new creations, they separate themselves from the source of all existence. Fortunately, God has put limits to the abuse of powers: he has willed that once you go beyond the boundaries He has set, it will destroy itself.
Salvandy: *half-patronizingly* *he's actually speaking to Vittorio Emanuele like "get your wife under control"* your Roy- your Majesty, I think you should sit down, lest you exhaust yourself. If only for the good of the child in your womb.
Vittorio Emanuele: *conveniently doesn't hear Salvandy*
Metternich: Madame, you would compare me to Napoléon? Or perhaps, you mistake your great friend, the duc de Reichstadt, for being his father. Having met both, I assure you, they have much in common in their impatience and their thoughtlessness. They both hasten to enjoy and abuse glory, they have reached the end of the world and will hurry through their monuments, their laws, their victories...they do not endure. While Europe bears many signs of Napoléon's rule, he died under a strange roof, and when his death was announced in Paris, not even a passer-by mourned him who had brought France to such heights. Europe's peace has been my unrelenting aim since I took office, it is both Napoléon and your friend who have been unable to accept that. When his Majesty dismisses me, I will return to my lands the emperor has so graciously bestowed upon me and there live my life out in peace and quiet. Secure in the knowledge that while I have no monuments, or streets, or squares raised to my name, my legacy of peace will be the one that endures. Will your friend be able to say the same?

*fade to black*

[1] Tacitus' line: they make a desert and they call it peace (i.e. They rob, kill and plunder and deceivingly call it "Roman rule", and where they make a desert, they call it "peace".)
[2] "Listen to the will of the people - to the enemy who breaks this sacred promise [the treaty] from Verdi's not-too-terrible, but not brilliant follow up to the more famous Nabucco, The Lombards at the First Crusade.
[3] yup, Marshall Ney's third son was Salvandy's secretary at the time. Shortly to be transferred to Brasil as charge d'affaires in November 1843 OTL
[4] pretty much OTL. Vittorio Emanuele was either genuinely lazy academically, or he had some sort of learning difficulty. The only reason I speculate the disorder is because of personal experience where a genuine problem (dyslexia) was written off as "just lazy" by the schools and the teachers. As for the deafness, I'm not sure how true it is, but apparently, OTL, VEII suffered from this from a relatively early age, so much so that they even had to work out specific orders so he could understand commands. But given that Vittorio Emanuele was likely with the Sardinian armies in these campaigns, him having a similar deafness to Wellington
The Duke, many years ago, being deaf [due to standing forward of an exploding gun], sent for his medical man, who poured some stuff [lotion of lunar caustic] into his ear, not knowing that the drum of the ear was broken. This proved very mischievous in its results. The Duke said it was not sound that was restored to him; it was something terrifically beyond sound: the noise of a carriage passing under his window was like the rolling of thunder. Thus suffering, he returned home about the middle of the day, and went to bed. Next day, Dr. Hume called and found the Duke staggering about the room. Dr. Hume, although he well knew the Duke’s temperate habits, supposed that he had taken a little too much wine overnight, and had not recovered from it. He was leaving the room, when the Duke said to him : Hume, I wish you would look to my ear ; there is something wrong there.’ Hume looked and saw that a furious inflammation had begun, extending to the brain ; another hour, and the stuff would have done for the Duke what all his enemies had failed to do : it would have killed him.
[5] little butcher/butcher's boy. This is based on the rumour that Vittorio Emanuele was a "changeling". When he was little, there was an actual fire in his nursery (looking at you, Meghan Markle) so bad that the nanny was burned to death according to the report. The rumour went that Vittorio Emanuele was a substitute son of a butcher (either one Tanaca, whose son disappeared around the same time; or Mazzucca, of the Porta Romana who suddenly became very wealthy after his only son died). The reason for this rumour was how even his mother admitted in a letter that "I don't know where this child has come from, he resembles none of us" and Vittorio Emanuele resembled his father so little that many public were convinced of it's truth. Problem was...Vittorio Emanuele bore a striking resemblance to the duke of Genoa, so either they took a second child from Tanaca or Mazzucca, or the rumours were about as true as Philippe Égalité being the son of his mother's coachman.

@The_Most_Happy @isabella @VVD0D95 @Jan Olbracht @Ramontxo @HortenseMancini @Anarch King of Dipsodes @Dragonboy @kaiidth @SavoyTruffle @Wendell @nathanael1234 @Fehérvári @Guatemalan Nat-Synd @Valena @maw @LordMartinax @Grey Wolf

Last edited:
Oh. The savoys Will NEVER forgive the french For this.

And just You wait Metternich, your son called legacy Will be only that of adherence of a bygone age, stagnating, failure and miscalculation. Frankie Will left one You could only dream of.

For @isabella (essentially all the house of Savoy has left after this treaty is the kingdom of Sardinia)

Soundtrack: Verdi - I Lombardi alla Prima Crociato - S'ascolta il voler cittadino - All'empio che infrange la santa promessa [1]

*exterior* *Milan* *the city is in gala dress* *practically thrumming with anticipation*
*exterior* *the inner courtyard of the Basilica of Sant' Ambrogio* *Metternich enters from one side of the court to a table placed precisely in the middle of the court* *to the other side of the table arrives a very sour looking Carlo Alberto, King of Sardinia, flanked by his wife, children and daughter-in-law* *also with him are the French ambassador, Narcisse-Achille, Comte de Salvandy and Eugène Ney [2]*
Metternich: Monsieur le Comte, I am so glad that we were able to come to a peaceable settlement
Salvandy: it is only thanks to your Serene Highness' abilities that we are all assembled here for this...momentous occasion. My master wishes me to express his utmost gratitude and the intense regard in which he holds you.
Metternich: and I hope to prove to his Majesty in doing so that he can count on support from the Austrians should the French prove...unseasonal...in their disposition towards him.
Salvandy: *as all sit down* we are so glad that Vienna has found the French proposal of extending the Austrian territory as far as the Val d'Aosta to its satsifaction.
Metternich: no doubt the Austrians will be able to better assist our allies now that we are directly neighbours in the Piedmont.
Carlo Alberto: this is absurd! We will not forget Paris' treachery in this matter, nor will we forgive your master's treachery, Salvandy.
Salvandy: there is no treachery, your Majesty. The French king has agreed to allow you to retain Sardinia, it is not our fault that the Austrians landed in Genoa, beat your army like a drum and that it was required for the French to involve themselves restoring your authority. The king simply sees your noble sacrifice as fitting payment for his efforts to restore you to your throne.
Carlo Alberto: *snarling* by banishing me to Sardinia?
Metternich: *offers the pen to Carlo Alberto* if your Majesty will please sign.
Carlo Alberto: *at first, stubbornly refuses to*
Maria Teresa: *sad* *glaring at Metternich* *begging* please, Alberto. If you do not, they might take Sardinia as well, and then we will be-
Carlo Alberto: *sighs* *signs on the paper* *then shoves it at Salvandy*
Salvandy: *takes it* *about to sign when he reads what Carlo Alberto signed "J'abdique" [I abdicate]* your Majesty, I'm afraid you misunderstood what is-
Carlo Alberto: I understood perfectly, Monsieur le Comte. And I will sooner abdicate than what I will cede one inch of my territory to become a French vassal. May Heaven's curse fall on the head of your master that he ends the same as Napoléon, since he is not worthy to die like Saint Louis [XVI] and his wife.
Metternich: it's truly no matter, sire. The prince of Piedmont, or should I say, the new king of Sardinia, is present here after all. *offers the pen to Vittorio Emanuele*
Carlo Alberto: *mockingly* c'est bon, a deaf boy who can barely read or write [3] will sign a document just because Paris and Vienna told him too. His first act as king will be to sign away his inheritance!
Vittorio Emanuele: papa, we have fought, and we have lost. I will not repeat your foolishness by instead of accepting terms that would've left us Piedmont, you invited the French to our foyer. *signs the treaty* *turns to his mother, wife, brother and sister* forgive me. [4]
Carlo Alberto: it is a weak king who asks the forgiveness of his subjects.
Vittorio Emanuele: and it is a king driven by pride who wishes to continue fighting when there is more to lose than to gain.
Carlo Alberto: so the macellaiotto [5] would tell his king how to rule?
Vittorio Emanuele: you abdicated, papa. That means that the macellaiotto your are insulting is the king now. And as your king, I order you to apologize to Mama for such slander.
Maria Teresa: *looks embarrassed, both by her husband's outburst and by her son's response*
Genoa and Cristina: *all just look like they want to be "anywhere" not here*
Carlo Alberto: *stares his son down* *as though to say: "make me"*
Maria Beatrice: *finally steps between the men* *like she has done this a thousand times before* *and perhaps she has* stop! I will not have this odour of injury poison the child that God has placed in my womb! *nobody else seems to have known she was pregnant* cease this reproaching of one another! You are like the Thebans who will not stop until you have slit one another's throats! Look to your own consciences, they *looks at Metternich and Salvandy* have been able to do this because of the rancour between you *looks at her husband and father-in-law* Do you see what damage your squabble has brought to our home?
*now Carlo Alberto actually looks embarrassed* *not by the "guilt" but by being shown as unable to control his daughter-in-law*
Metternich: *half-smirking* *as if to say "she's right you know"*
Maria Beatrice: *rounding on Metternich* and you, Prince Munster, you are limited in your abilities, infinite in your rapaciousness, only loving that which you do not possess. You are the idol of a fallen god who remembers the heavens. People complain of the despotism of princes, but yours is no less than theirs. You hold the people that you so make Austrians or Frenchmen with the stroke of a pen in the same contempt that Rousseau held the great seigneurs: I warrant that had you been born in a hovel in Corsica instead of a castle in the Rhineland, you would be no different, after all, it is the most abominable despots who, on seizing a sceptre, are precisely the same men who ranted against despotism.
Metternich: your Royal Highness, to compare me to Emperor Napoléon is...rather disingenious. That assumes we have the same aims.
Maria Beatrice: *smiles at Metternich as she takes a step towards the table* but you do, Prince Munster. You are a man who cannot bear the thought of any being superior to him. You are one of those men who believe in equality just as he did. A depraved taste for wishing to bringing all down to the same level: the "equality" of which you speak is an unnatural desire that is best expressed as "let no man occupy a higher seat than I do". Your equality and Napoléon's is an equality in slavery because you could not tolerate an equality in liberty. You are both borne onwards by an invincible pride continually to overthrow every thing which they have not made; and in order to work out new creations, they separate themselves from the source of all existence. Fortunately, God has put limits to the abuse of powers: he has willed that once you go beyond the boundaries He has set, it will destroy itself.
Salvandy: *half-patronizingly* *he's actually speaking to Vittorio Emanuele like "get your wife under control"* your Roy- your Majesty, I think you should sit down, lest you exhaust yourself. If only for the good of the child in your womb.
Vittorio Emanuele: *conveniently doesn't hear Salvandy*
Metternich: Madame, you would compare me to Napoléon? Or perhaps, you mistake your great friend, the duc de Reichstadt, for being his father. Having met both, I assure you, they have much in common in their impatience and their thoughtlessness. They both hasten to enjoy and abuse glory, they have reached the end of the world and will hurry through their monuments, their laws, their victories...they do not endure. While Europe bears many signs of Napoléon's rule, he died under a strange roof, and when his death was announced in Paris, not even a passer-by mourned him who had brought France to such heights. Europe's peace has been my unrelenting aim since I took office, it is both Napoléon and your friend who have been unable to accept that. When his Majesty dismisses me, I will return to my lands the emperor has so graciously bestowed upon me and there live my life out in peace and quiet. Secure in the knowledge that while I have no monuments, or streets, or squares raised to my name, my legacy of peace will be the one that endures. Will your friend be able to say the same?

*fade to black*

[1] Tacitus' line: they make a desert and they call it peace (i.e. They rob, kill and plunder and deceivingly call it "Roman rule", and where they make a desert, they call it "peace".)
[2] "Listen to the will of the people - to the enemy who breaks this sacred promise [the treaty] from Verdi's not-too-terrible, but not brilliant follow up to the more famous Nabucco, The Lombards at the First Crusade.
[3] yup, Marshall Ney's third son was Salvandy's secretary at the time. Shortly to be transferred to Brasil as charge d'affaires in November 1843 OTL
[4] pretty much OTL. Vittorio Emanuele was either genuinely lazy academically, or he had some sort of learning difficulty. The only reason I speculate the disorder is because of personal experience where a genuine problem (dyslexia) was written off as "just lazy" by the schools and the teachers. As for the deafness, I'm not sure how true it is, but apparently, OTL, VEII suffered from this from a relatively early age, so much so that they even had to work out specific orders so he could understand commands. But given that Vittorio Emanuele was likely with the Sardinian armies in these campaigns, him having a similar deafness to Wellington

[5] little butcher/butcher's boy. This is based on the rumour that Vittorio Emanuele was a "changeling". When he was little, there was an actual fire in his nursery (looking at you, Meghan Markle) so bad that the nanny was burned to death according to the report. The rumour went that Vittorio Emanuele was a substitute son of a butcher (either one Tanaca, whose son disappeared around the same time; or Mazzucca, of the Porta Romana who suddenly became very wealthy after his only son died). The reason for this rumour was how even his mother admitted in a letter that "I don't know where this child has come from, he resembles none of us" and Vittorio Emanuele resembled his father so little that many public] @Guatemalan Nat-Synd @Valena @maw @LordMartinax @Grey Wolf
Goodbye Savoy… Try to make something of Sardinia this time instead of destroying it…
Metternich continue to NOT see the damages he has done around…

And I absolutely love this chapter…

@Kellan Sullivan
Maybe you could ask people here to make a map for your TL:

It's worth a try.

Oh. The savoys Will NEVER forgive the french For this.

And just You wait Metternich, your son called legacy Will be only that of adherence of a bygone age, stagnating, failure and miscalculation. Frankie Will left one You could only dream of.

So to confirm, the house of savoy is left with only Sardinia. Not piedmont or savoy itself?
yup. With the Lyonais intervention, Carlo Alberto was like "what the hell, Louis Philippe!" So Louis Philippe sends the French army to Savoy to "clear the Lyonais out". And then just politely decides to regard the lands taken as conquered territory (plays better to the public in France as well)

yup. With the Lyonais intervention, Carlo Alberto was like "what the hell, Louis Philippe!" So Louis Philippe sends the French army to Savoy to "clear the Lyonais out". And then just politely decides to regard the lands taken as conquered territory (plays better to the public in France as well)
You can bet VE Will correct the wrongs with pregudice when the time is right.

Goodbye Savoy… Try to make something of Sardinia this time instead of destroying it…
could Sardinia actually be developed TTL (were there any natural resources/industrial opportunities that went unused/underfunded OTL)? Or is it like Corsica in that it's main "value" is that it's "there".