Early confederate victory’s out west 1862

This isn’t so much a timeline then a question. However Suppose if the south did not attack Kentucky in1861 by not leavening their forces and supply lines stretched out to then.
Could confederate successfully defend Nashville from Don caroled Buells troops? February 25, 1862,

10,000 soldiers under Bragg will arrive in time to defend fort Donelson. Well I did my research and most Confederates soldiers could have escaped capture according to journal Nathaniel Bedford Forrest.

so if more troops come then grant will have to lay siege to the fort . In about a month I think he could take it.
What about Nashville?
Union forces I think it’s still camping near Shiloh even if granted not take Donelson yet.

I'm not clear as to what exactly your asking. If the Confederates never invaded Kentucky the dispositions of forces would've been different then in the OTL. If your asking could the division defending Nashville have marched to the defense of Ft Donelson, I suppose they could, but only at the risk of losing the city to Don Carlos Buell's Army. The Confederate strategic problem was they didn't know what the Union objective was, Donelson, Nashville, or Columbus. Nashville is over 80 miles away from Ft Donelson, so it would take a week to march there, assuming the roads are good. They could move some regiments more quickly by river boats, so if they decided to concentrate at Ft Donelson I guess they could. The question would be could they arrive before the battle was over.

If Grant found the forces at Donelson were stronger then his own army, there never would have been a siege. Grant would've tried to draw Floyd towards him, while Buell took Nashville, and Foote brought his fleet up the Cumberland, to do what he should have done, and destroy the fort by long range bombardment. After taking Nashville Buell could march west against Floyd's rear. Johnston might try to concentrate against Grant, before he could link up with Buell. The whole campaign would be completely different then the OTL.

I'm struggling to understand where the Confederate victory is? Or is a Confederate victory the absence of a defeat?

Kentucky was going to declare for the Union sooner rather than later, and Grant was going to move into Kentucky regardless of whether the Confederates did it first or not, so Polk's invasion not happening has little impact in the long run.

The Confederates could potentially repell an attack on Nashville if Sidney Johnston's army was there instead of up at Bowling Green, however unless they did a better job of defending Fort's Henry and Donelson then they'd just be exposed by the Federal dominance of the river and be forced to abandon upper-Tennessee anyway

I'm not clear as to what exactly your asking. If the Confederates never invaded Kentucky the dispositions of forces would've been different then in the OTL. If your asking could the division defending Nashville have marched to the defense of Ft Donelson, I suppose they could, but only at the risk of losing the city to Don Carlos Buell's Army. The Confederate strategic problem was they didn't know what the Union objective was, Donelson, Nashville, or Columbus. Nashville is over 80 miles away from Ft Donelson, so it would take a week to march there, assuming the roads are good. They could move some regiments more quickly by river boats, so if they decided to concentrate at Ft Donelson I guess they could. The question would be could they arrive before the battle was over.

If Grant found the forces at Donelson were stronger then his own army, there never would have been a siege. Grant would've tried to draw Floyd towards him, while Buell took Nashville, and Foote brought his fleet up the Cumberland, to do what he should have done, and destroy the fort by long range bombardment. After taking Nashville Buell could march west against Floyd's rear. Johnston might try to concentrate against Grant, before he could link up with Buell. The whole campaign would be completely different then the OTL.
It was really stupid for the confederates to violate kentucky’s neutrality in 1861. They might have been successful in 1862 but that’s for later. 1861 is bad idea because troops will be stretched out to thin. I am mad I start with they are better president as they divergence. Allow brag to reinforce fort Donelson send 20,00 from the army of the Kentucky (or more) to defend Nashville. Brag could stall In Donelson with the csa troops being dug in in Nashville. Well send troops earlier in 1861 how about that?

Attachments

• 8B6AE14E-6DC2-466E-A921-5E6E0E4FFAA8.png
    8B6AE14E-6DC2-466E-A921-5E6E0E4FFAA8.png
    233.4 KB · Views: 7
Kentucky was going to declare for the Union sooner rather than later, and Grant was going to move into Kentucky regardless of whether the Confederates did it first or not, so Polk's invasion not happening has little impact in the long run.

The Confederates could potentially repell an attack on Nashville if Sidney Johnston's army was there instead of up at Bowling Green, however unless they did a better job of defending Fort's Henry and Donelson then they'd just be exposed by the Federal dominance of the river and be forced to abandon upper-Tennessee anyway
I disagree! Kentucky many people wanted to be neutral that also included Missouri and Maryland . Once Polk invaded in 1861 it angered a lot of people against the csa.
Though you are right that Kentucky would be more willing to tolerate Union violation the csa violations. It would be wiser to invade Kentucky in later 1862 or 1863 in my opinion

Well how long would that take? I do think brag could only stall grant . Nashville is the real importance I think. Fortify the city to what the Confederates can to prevent Union capture And wait long enough to hold in Donelson.

buell needs to be kept busy to prevent reinforcing grant at Shiloh.

The Union can still put encampments in Pittsburgh-landing (where the battle of Shiloh will take place) while grant is just about to take Donelson.

Well how long would that take? I do think brag could only stall grant . Nashville is the real importance I think. Fortify the city to what the Confederates can to prevent Union capture And wait long enough to hold in Donelson.

buell needs to be kept busy to prevent reinforcing grant at Shiloh.

The Union can still put encampments in Pittsburgh-landing (where the battle of Shiloh will take place) while grant is just about to take Donelson.

The main point is the Confederates can't hold both Nashville, and Ft Donelson, at the same time. The best they could do is not let the army be trapped at Ft Donelson. If a good part of the army escaped from Ft Donelson they could fallback to Nashville. Grant, and Buell could coordinate an attack on Nashville, since it's such a critical objective. Pittsburgh Landing is of no importance. The Battle of Shiloh isn't set in stone. There's no reason a major battle was destined to happen there, anymore then at Gettysburg.