earlier machine gun 1850s

Would it possible for the technology in 1850s to produce a similar version of Gatling gun even outside the USA like the British or French?

It would need metallic cartridge and box magazine. The former was in it’s infancy and the latter not invented. It’s not impossible but very unlikely. But there’s no reason you can’t invent a cap and ball volley gun.

Any such gun would very have a slow fire rate, every heavy and produce very large clouds of black powder smoke making seeing any targets very hard or impossible.

Any such gun would very have a slow fire rate, every heavy and produce very large clouds of black powder smoke making seeing any targets very hard or impossible.
It is 10 years before Gatling invented his.

No way of wanking the same type of gun 10 years earlier?

That doesn't mean people or nations wont be interested or see the utility of such a weapon.
I do not think they would see the need for such a weapon at the time.
A gentleman and officer would not like to see his men using such a weapon except in the colonies against tribes like the Zulu.
God save the King.

Last edited:
Mitrailleuse exists.

It's not exactly a Gatling gun, however.
The earliest mitrailleuse were apparently developed in the 1850's, so I guess this is OTL unless you're looking for one of these early designs to be adopted in that decade, which wouldn't be impossible I suppose but would still be a fairly fiddly weapon lacking the potential of a gatling gun loaded with metal cartridges.

You gotta have that before you have that and so on. Black powder. Iffy high grade steel. Lack of proven metallic cartridges. Proven primer ignition. My Enfield replica rifled musket fouled out after about 25 to 50 shots.

How about better black powder shell guns and mortars? Better land mines?