Dread Nought but the Fury of the Seas

Yet they labelled it 'battlecruiser', British humour at its finest.

I sometime wonders where was the limit? If they had build these things, other nations would have to respond. If this escalate into unrestricted building race, what kind of monsters would they build after? By the 1940s OTL modern battleships would likely be dwarfed by the size of the new ships now under construction.
Budget and dockyard size. No point in building a 100k UBERVESSEL if you can't dock it anywhere but in the deepeset part of the channel. 60 - 70k tons would probably be about the upper limit really.
That was the idea behind the Tillmans, to stop with the incrementalism and just get to the biggest practical ships. Their only limits were fitting into the Panama canal, IIRC.

The US can handle 100k ton warships alongside at New York, Philadelphia, Norfolk, Mayport, Bremerton, Alameda, San Diego, and Pearl. The US did have a 60k-70k limit for warship hulls (as opposed to more bulky merchant hulls) in the old Panama Canal locks, but the expansion planned in the 1930s and only just recently completed would have probably allowed warship hulls up to about 120k tons.

The UK on the other hand isn't blessed with as many deep water ports and those it does have tend to be surrounded by shallower areas. Its like the Nazi's and their H-45 which was insanely big. Too big for the Kiel Canal.

Love it.

Kinda reminds me of what the RN did OTL with the G3's.

-Order 4x before 1921 WNT.
-Order 7" deck armour for ships.
-Leak said order of 7" deck armour.
-Convince world it is belt armour and not deck armour.

Imagine the kittens the USN would have had if the G3's OTL were built then everybody else realized the 7" belt armour was in fact deck armour and the things actually carried a 14" belt!!

Or to put it another way, Yamato had 16" belt and 8" deck on 72,000t, 20 years later.
I could have sworn that the deck armor was up to 8" thick. Also the 14" belt was partially paid for by being a little less tall than the standards of the day(with coverage below the waterline in particular being a little skimpy)and by only covering 259' of the armor belt's total length of 522' with the balance being 12" thick. Still give the design a decent modernization in the 30s(ie give it modern engines and use the saved weight to improve its fire control, AA,improve the TDS,and extend the belt,etc)and it would still be a very capable frontline unit. Heck even without a decent modernization it would still be a pretty good ship especially as compared to what the British had otl

Last edited:
I wonder how the naval part of WWII would have shaped out if the UK was by some feat of brillant negotiation able to build 2 G3s instead of the Nelsons because everyone thought they would be very thin skinned and figured hey let's let the British waste money on death traps

I wonder how the naval part of WWII would have shaped out if the UK was by some feat of brillant negotiation able to build 2 G3s instead of the Nelsons because everyone thought they would be very thin skinned and figured hey let's let the British waste money on death traps
The truth would have gotten out eventually and it would have caused, to put it politely, a diplomatic shitfit. The UK would have breeched a treaty in a most flagrant way and would have pissed the US and Japan off.

The truth would have gotten out eventually and it would have caused, to put it politely, a diplomatic shitfit. The UK would have breeched a treaty in a most flagrant way and would have pissed the US and Japan off.
Just about the only way I could see the UK getting away with it would be the USN getting Washington and the IJN Tosa(or possibly keeping Hiei in active service or possibly both depending on the terms)as compensation in exchange for a clause that let's the G3s displace their planned 48,000 ish tons and even then I imagine that the UK is probably going to also have to get rid of a couple of the Iron Dukes a few years earlier than otl. Mind you everyone would assume that the UK was going need for speed ala the Lexingtons since they wouldn't know the details of the plans when they agreed and they know that the UK just ordered a bunch of 8" armor plate. Oh boy would they be surprised but hey the UK wouldn't be violating either the letter or spirit of the treaties

Last edited: