DBWI: The Simpsons continues after Season 12

Disney has recently announced plans for a new Simpsons series. Whether it will be as good as the original show remains to be seen. Like many others with fond memories of Springfield and its yellow-skinned denizens, I've greeted this news with a mixture of trepidation and excitement.

In light of this announcement making waves, I'd like to ask a question about the original series: what if it hadn't ended with Season 12?

I wonder would it still have its charm after all these years. But its the Simpsons, it should be good of course! Though it would probably still be cancelled sooner or later, nothing lasts forever anyway.

Well the movie made 300 million in three weeks in North America before the Coronavirus shut everything down. The movie seemed to hit on people’s nostalgia pretty good.

If the people who made the movie make the cartoon it is in good hands.

The Simpsons had passed it's peak by season 12. If they'd kept it going it would just have been rehashing old gags and become increasingly pathetic, like the Flintstones revival they tried a couple of years later. It was of its time but its time had passed.

Honestly, I think the show was showing signs of losing its way before it ended. Take "The Principal and the Pauper", for example. It was an episode that wouldn't have even been considered in earlier seasons, and only the ending reveal that it was just a weird dream Bart had when he dozed off during the ceremony (itself a result of behind the scenes disputes forcing a compromise) preventing it from being a serious erosion of one of the show's core principles: character consistency. I think - and most of you would probably agree with me - that this ultimate revelation was more Newhart than Dallas, if you catch my drift.

Don't get me wrong, the last few seasons weren't necessarily bad, it's just that many episodes felt like they belonged on a different show. Season 12 may have corrected course somewhat, thanks to multiple longtime fans who preferred the earlier seasons joining the staff, but I think it was only inevitable that it would've started straying from its roots again. Call me a purist, but I think it was better that the show ended when it was clearly recognizable as itself, rather than a twisted, lifeless mockery - or worse yet, the very kind of thing it was created as an answer to.

Take "The Principal and the Pauper", for example. It was an episode that wouldn't have even been considered in earlier seasons, and only the ending reveal that it was just a weird dream
Didn't that was a halloween short was extended yet they realize the joke didn't worked as intended?

Disney has recently announced plans for a new Simpsons series. Whether it will be as good as the original show remains to be seen. Like many others with fond memories of Springfield and its yellow-skinned denizens, I've greeted this news with a mixture of trepidation and excitement.

In light of this announcement making waves, I'd like to ask a question about the original series: what if it hadn't ended with Season 12?
For one thing, the fact that Mr. Burns runs a nuclear power plant that pollutes so much wouldn't appear so funny and look environmentally irresponsible. Especially since nuclear power's carbon footprint is seen as its biggest advantage over coal and gas nowadays.

For one thing, the fact that Mr. Burns runs a nuclear power plant that pollutes so much wouldn't appear so funny and look environmentally irresponsible. Especially since nuclear power's carbon footprint is seen as its biggest advantage over coal and gas nowadays.
Yeah, there are a few things at the show that arguably could use some updating.

Yeah, there are a few things at the show that arguably could use some updating.
Umm the Side effect would be to focus less on Homer? As you Say the Nuclear plant jokes worked as chernobyl was so fresh people mind when now people saw Nuclear as a cheap Alternative over fossil fuels ones

Or maybe depict the plant as being more competently run despite Burns' unethical practices and Homer's idiocy. I think this show is supposed to be set in a different continuity, so that might be a good approach.

To get back on topic, if the show didn't get cancelled, how might other adult cartoons have been affected?

Or maybe depict the plant as being more competently run despite Burns' unethical practices and Homer's idiocy. I think this show is supposed to be set in a different continuity, so that might be a good approach.

To get back on topic, if the show didn't get cancelled, how might other adult cartoons have been affected?
I have a feeling Family Guy might've ended earlier. IIRC, there was talk of a possible cancellation in the early 2000s.

I have a feeling Family Guy might've ended earlier. IIRC, there was talk of a possible cancellation in the early 2000s.
Didn't the move to FX with Simpsons RERUNS and other animated series saved it? Cable is more liberal network tv an that helped it