DBWI: Different Cold War?

In OTL the cold war has been going between the communist east (China, Japan, Korea, etc.) versus the capitalist west (USA, Britain, Brazil, etc.). How could we get a drastically different cold war? Could Russia be involved instead of them being isolationist?

Could Russia be involved
I can't imagine this being the case. Unless the Revolution actually succeeded, and there was no longer a royal family, I can't see why Russia would want to enter back into the world stage after WW1.
However, I can definitely imagine that the communists could have grabbed Indochina. It was a slim victory for the west, easily could've gone differently.

I can't imagine this being the case. Unless the Revolution actually succeeded, and there was no longer a royal family, I can't see why Russia would want to enter back into the world stage after WW1.
However, I can definitely imagine that the communists could have grabbed Indochina. It was a slim victory for the west, easily could've gone differently.
Could Indochina really have gone communist? They seem to be one of the most staunchly anti- communist regions around, and the French have always had influence in the region. Not to mention the anti- communists in India, yikes...

You'd need Japan to lose the sino-japanese war, somehow to confine communism to the mainland if you don't want the Greater Proletarian Republic of East Asia to exist.

maby it would be a third way block

Could Indochina really have gone communist? They seem to be one of the most staunchly anti- communist regions around, and the French have always had influence in the region. Not to mention the anti- communists in India, yikes...
Yes, but you have to turn the dial back before the Sino-French War. The Kuomintang threw their support behind the various leftist secret societies in Vietnam too openly. In the minds of most Indochinese, the Marmites * were too closely associated with the Chinese invaders.

Perhaps if the French had held off on transitioning to native run government until later, that wouldn't have mattered. But the public image between the Monarchy and the West was far too collegial by that point. There wasn't enough animosity to save the Communizers from the taint.

A less stable, more ostensibly oppressed Indochina would have been ripe for anyone to gain support, but I'd have bet on the leftists as much as any other options. They had genuine connections to the peasantry in the North and wealthy backers (relatively speaking), it could have worked.

* Apparently Annamite was a colonial term for Indochinese for the French. I just compounded that with the French word for Marmot. It seemed like a term that could get into common use, maybe.

Last edited:
Yes, but you have to turn the dial back before the Sino-French War. The Kuomintang threw their support behind the various leftist secret societies in Vietnam too openly. In the minds of most Indochinese, the Marmites were too closely associated with the Chinese invaders.

Perhaps if the French had held off on transitioning to native run government until later, that wouldn't have mattered. But the public image between the Monarchy and the West was far too collegial by that point. There wasn't enough animosity to save the Communizers from the taint.

A less stable, more ostensibly oppressed Indochina would have been ripe for anyone to gain support, but I'd have bet on the leftists as much as any other options. They had genuine connections to the peasantry in the North and wealthy backers (relatively speaking), it could have worked.
i seriously doubt it, western intervention would have battled like hell to keep Indochina from falling like dominos