DBWI: Britain Never Took Alaska

Well, in the aftermath of the Crimean War, Russia was practically forced to give Alaska to the British Empire in exchange for peace and partially paid for their indemnities...

What if, for somewhat reasons, Britain never ended up being that interested in Alaska, to begin with, and decides to let Russia keep their North American possession? Could Russia end up holding on to Alaska or is British settlers' occupation of Alaska being inevitable at this point?

Could Russia end up selling Alaska to other nations/empires? The United States does have several settlers tried their luck in illegally migrating to Alaska, and Japan definitely has several fishing outposts/villages build there before Britain exerted their property rights and expelled both of the encroachers. What if in Russian-held Alaska, the Russians decide that maybe selling the what was a barren arctic land to either the United States or Japan would be more profitable?

EDIT: Whelp, I meant to post this in Pre-1900 forum, not Post-1900 forum due to obvious Crimean War POD.

It’s possible Alaska would become a hide away for White Emigres following the civil war. With the Bolsheviks pushing into Siberia it seems the logical choice for them to cross the Bering Straight and create a government in exile in Alaska, likely under Alexander Kolchak. This new Russia-In-Alaska would develop its own culture, economy and world affairs similar to Taiwan.

It’s possible Alaska would become a hide away for White Emigres following the civil war. With the Bolsheviks pushing into Siberia it seems the logical choice for them to cross the Bering Straight and create a government in exile in Alaska, likely under Alexander Kolchak. This new Russia-In-Alaska would develop its own culture, economy and world affairs similar to Taiwan.
I mean the Chinese Communists in Taiwan are about to collapse. Russia-in-Alaska would prosper as they would have the gold and oil money

Palmerston's Ice Box. Whoever thought it was a good idea to accept Alaska from the Russians. Nothing but snow and midges.

I think the British Empire did the best thing in it's history signing Alaska and the Northern Territories over to the First Nations as an indigenous peoples Dominion ruled by the tribes.

The Polar Bear, White Eagle and Grizzly Bear regiments have long been the Empires cold weather fighting force who can forget their magnificent campaign that kept Norway out of Hitler's greedy little hands.

Palmerston's Ice Box. Whoever thought it was a good idea to accept Alaska from the Russians. Nothing but snow and midges.

I think the British Empire did the best thing in it's history signing Alaska and the Northern Territories over to the First Nations as an indigenous peoples Dominion ruled by the tribes.

The Polar Bear, White Eagle and Grizzly Bear regiments have long been the Empires cold weather fighting force who can forget their magnificent campaign that kept Norway out of Hitler's greedy little hands.
OOC: A Inuit/First Nations-derived Gurkhas-esk force sounds awesome.

IC: I wonder what would happen if the Brits kept Alaska. As we know the natives are very leery about mineral extraction, preferring to keep their ancestral homeland as unspoiled as possible. Gotta believe GB would be far more likely to allow oil/gas/mining companies to drill and dig.

IC: I wonder what would happen if the Brits kept Alaska. As we know the natives are very leery about mineral extraction, preferring to keep their ancestral homeland as unspoiled as possible. Gotta believe GB would be far more likely to allow oil/gas/mining companies to drill and dig.
I think the locals are quite able to look after their own territory. It's noticeable how many mineral survey teams accidentally disappear or have terrible accidents where they accidentally shoot themselves in the back. Some of the injuries look like double tap shots but according to the Royal Northern Mounted Police they're all accidents and no you can't open the coffin because Wolves got to the body.

That entire bill made so many steps for indigenous peoples possible. My grandad was a naval liason for those actions, and he saw the Grizzlies attack on Narvik. The pictures I saw in history class way back when got me interested in the period, and are the reason I am a forum member today. My mother's Godfather was a member that lives here in Britain, and I live down the road from them now.

I can truly say that a world without a British Alaska would be a much duller one.

I think the locals are quite able to look after their own territory. It's noticeable how many mineral survey teams accidentally disappear or have terrible accidents where they accidentally shoot themselves in the back. Some of the injuries look like double tap shots but according to the Royal Northern Mounted Police they're all accidents and no you can't open the coffin because Wolves got to the body.
Lets be real, these are less common than people claim, and in most cases I doubt it was anyone other than some private citizen(s) who got way too protective of the land. Besides, plenty of mines and oil/gas wells are there already. Besides, a good number of 'surveyors' are found to be poaching anyway.

Okay, that's just racist.

Overall, indigenous peoples and culture would be in worse shape across the continent by my thoughts, especially without a certain treaty that placed limits on british or american missionary activities.

Another thing is that without the regiments, Nazi German forces could be more spread out rather then concentrating on Russia, the Balkans, and northern Africa. By extension, Spain wouldn't have joined the war on the side of the Axis (OOC: butterflies lead Spanish Civil happening earlier and are in better shape by time of war) and Portugal would do the same but on the allied side.

I mean the Chinese Communists in Taiwan are about to collapse. Russia-in-Alaska would prosper as they would have the gold and oil money
The Nationalists would have been able to pursue the Communists across the Straits if Chiang hadn't given the Dalai Lama a blank check to centralize power in Tibet, requiring the NRA to bail out Lhasa a couple years later.

Britain would take it anyway during the Revolution (to preserve the peace) and justify keeping it in the 20's as repayment for the Soviets defaulting on the WWI war debts. While it would become home to the White Russian refugees as OTL it would be firmly under British control. No way is London letting anyone else have access to all that Alaskan gold.

No way is London letting anyone else have access to all that Alask
Yeah, the 1930s Yukon-and-Klondike Gold Rush basically poisoned the relationship between Britain and USA, especially after US ended up accusing Britain of protecting the murderers of several US Citizens, and kicking several "long-term residents of Alaska with US Passports" for little to no reason.

The bad blood over the 1930s Gold Rush (which is basically several thousands of (mostly poor) American Migrants trying to illegally try their fortune) was often cited as the chief cause of US Neutrality in the Second World War, along with how US interests basically bankrolling The Japanese Empire to "Liberate" European colonies in Asia.

OOC: Due to less people being interested in Alaska, gold is found much much later

The bad blood over the 1930s Gold Rush (which is basically several thousands of (mostly poor) American Migrants trying to illegally try their fortune) was often cited as the chief cause of US Neutrality in the Second World War, along with how US interests basically bankrolling The Japanese Empire to "Liberate" European colonies in Asia.
This maybe true to an extent, but that doesn't excuse the 'safe harbours' provided to the likes of Adolf Eichmann. Did anyone ever see the documentary Nazi Hunters? That guy getting off scot-free was disgusting. Sorry for getting political, but the borderline sponsorship of dictatorships and tyrants America was involved in in the 40s-60s was awful. Is it any wonder that they got turned down for admission to all but the lowest tier of Commonwealth trade association? Too many people have grandparents or great uncles that were killed by an American weapon.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Well, it might have avoiding the current tensions. I personally saw a train headed toward Bellingham last week and it very much did NOT look like the routine shuffling of advance brigades. Brits might have finally pushed too far on the Puget Sound EEZ issue.

Yep if they dont shoot you first the sight of a First Nation trooper charging you screaming and carrying a 20 inch Gutting Knife will turn the best soldiers guts to brown water.

After the 1879 Yellowknife Native Treaty, the 1911 Juneau Fishing and Hunting Rights Accord and the 1930 Treaty of Westminster were signed by the British Empire and the First Nation tribes the British could want but they were not going to get. There are generations of Ottawa and London trained First Nation Lawyers who retired wealthy after running rings round the Canadian, US and British governments. The saying that a First Nation Lawyer is the only human being who can enter a revolving door behind you and come out first is 100% true as the Chinese recently found when they entered talks over rights to use Dutch Harbour and ended up agreeing to build a tunnel linking Unalaska Island to the mainland. Apparently the Chinese negotiators still cant work out exactly how that happened.

Too many people have grandparents or great uncles that were killed by an American weapon.
Let's be fair here, the US-Backed Japanese liberation of India and South East Asia is pretty much justified. Hell, US basically set Philippines independent first as an example, and Japan basically let the natives of French Indochina, Malaya, Serawak, Burma, and Dutch East India to took control of their own nations as soon as they set-up their government (often with American "advisory board" and deals with both Japanese Zaibatsus and US Companies, but still, they were basically much better deals than continuation of European Imperialism). Nowadays, the nations there were a rather stable, peaceful countries that while not being exceptionally successful, at least managed to stay as the typical tropical Nations and Kingdoms.

True, nowadays people do point out about Japanese being hypocrites with their "Not-Colonies" of Choson/Korea and Manshukoku/Manchuria. Technically those two are indeed not colonies, but Vassal Kingdoms of the Japanese Emperor (The Joseon and Aisin-Gioro are still their regional rulers), but most of their population and culture ended up being Japanized anyway. But that was how Realpolitik happened.

This maybe true to an extent, but that doesn't excuse the 'safe harbours' provided to the likes of Adolf Eichmann. Did anyone ever see the documentary Nazi Hunters? That guy getting off scot-free was disgusting. Sorry for getting political, but the borderline sponsorship of dictatorships and tyrants America was involved in in the 40s-60s was awful. Is it any wonder that they got turned down for admission to all but the lowest tier of Commonwealth trade association? Too many people have grandparents or great uncles that were killed by an American weapon.
The issue of Nazi War Criminals fleeing to the United States can primarily be chalked up to the influence of the German-American communities more distasteful elements including the very offensive politics of the wealthy Dietrichs. While yes, those men should've faced justice the fact of the matter was and is that the bad blood between Washington and the Commonwealth made extradition a no-sell.

I don't it's particularly fair to paint the US as an utter sponsor of dictatorships and tyrants, however. the Philipines and Cuba are rather prosperous democracies, and Britain has had its long bloody history of sporting strongmen and dictators in the Middleast, and that's without mentioning the "methods" employed by Commonwealth forces in the "Emergencies" in Kenya, and Aden, or the Bush wars in Rhodesia and South Africa.

Last edited:
Considering the actions of the US Army in the Mexican Police Action, Britain has nothing to apologise for in how it deals with terrorists in the Commonwealth.

What makes you say that?
On British Empire's part, the inter-dominion Borders of Nunavut (that roughly comprised Alaska and Northern territory) is kind of jagged since it follows the traditional Tribal Lands of the First Nations which is kind of weird and jagged on their borders to British Columbia and Canada.

True, they were still nominally subjects of the British King, but they were pretty independent nowadays, with their chief contribution to the Empire being their soldiers, that were pretty much replacement to the Sikh and Gurkhas after Japan's botched Liberation of India that turned the subcontinent into what is basically a series of hostile warlord states.

A Russian-owned (or basically any non-British owned) Alaska will meant Britain won't even think to turn the weird map monstrosity that is the Dominion of Nunavut into reality.