Crown Imperial: An Alt British Monarchy

So that's Missy, Vicky and Willy...

OHHH...

I've just spotted the five year gap between the sixth and seventh child. Does that imply we're looking at a third marriage for George??
Could be him and his wife having a big fight and then reconciling. We know that George's second marriage won't be constant marital bliss. Or just fertility issues.

Could be him and his wife having a big fight and then reconciling. We know that George's second marriage won't be constant marital bliss. Or just fertility issues.
Fertility issues I find hard to believe, given the regularity of the earlier three children, but a big fight, or something that takes George/The Queen away for a year or so sounds plausible.

Ah well, I'm sure @Opo will reveal everything in good time. But in the meantime, my brain will be whirling, trying to choose between possibilities. Not many TLs manage to make me do that, but this one has!

There was a four year gap between Leopold and Beatrice for Victoria and Albert IOTL, so a five year gap isn't exactly unrealistic or indicative of marital strife or a third wife.

Opo

Monthly Donor
Wow. I'm quite overwhelmed by so many kind and generous messages, I'm sure I don't deserve all your lovely compliments but I'm very grateful nonetheless.

It's fantastic to know that so many people are enjoying the timeline and clearly you're all as fond of its characters as I am. I'd just like to take this opportunity once again to say a very sincere thank you to all of you who have been reading and to those of you who gave your thoughts on the ending to Part Two. I was very nervous as to how people would respond as I know how popular Louise was. Your comments are all so wonderful to read and I can't wait to get started on Part Three as we journey into the next phase of George V's life.

I also LOVE the suggestions you're all putting forward for George's second wife. There were actually a few suggestions that made me pause and think "Ooh, why didn't I consider her at the time?". I had great fun playing match-maker and drawing up a long list of all the eligible brides in Europe at the time but naturally, you'll have to wait and see who will eventually become the next Queen consort. She's got to be *just right* for our Georgie after all.

At the risk of repeating myself, once again, I can't thank you all enough for your responses. It's just so lovely to know that a year on Crown Imperial is still being enjoyed and I can honestly say that it's a joy to work on and share with you.

I remember reading earlier in the timeline that someone compared George to Henry VIII because of George’s lack of sons. Now, that comparison will be even more noticeable because even though George has a son, it cost him his wife which is what happened to Henry!

I remember reading earlier in the timeline that someone compared George to Henry VIII because of George’s lack of sons. Now, that comparison will be even more noticeable because even though George has a son, it cost him his wife which is what happened to Henry!
Except george isn't an evil asshole like henry

Opo

Monthly Donor
I'm currently in the middle of some much needed housekeeping for Crown Imperial before we move into Part Three of George V's reign.

I'd had feedback before that new readers can sometimes find this TL a bit overwhelming to get into as they need to read so much before they can catch up with where we are. To this end, I'm putting together some simplified timelines which will serve as a kind of TL: DR for each part.

I'll add this link to the first post in this thread but for those regular readers who might still want to check out the simplified timeline, you can find it in my Test thread by clicking here.

But I'm happy to say that you can now also download a free PDF version of the King George IV timeline with some illustrations by clicking here. Please be aware that the footnotes in this PDF may contain some spoilers for subsequent instalments of Crown Imperial.

I'll be putting together something similar for the two parts of our George V timeline and will hopefully be able to make these available before we go into Part 3. At the very least, the simplified timelines for each part will be available though the PDF versions take some time to format!

Last edited:
I'll be putting together something similar for the two parts of our George V timeline and will hopefully be able to make these available before we go into Part 3. At the very least, the simplified timelines for each part will be available though the PDF versions take some time to format!
I think there's a problem for the PDF file. For some reason I can't open it.

Opo

Monthly Donor
I think there's a problem for the PDF file. For some reason I can't open it.
Thank you for letting me know! Do you mean you can't open it once it's downloaded or that the download link itself doesn't work?

I'll look into both and see what I can do to fix it.

PDF GV Error.png

... is what it says.

Opo

Monthly Donor
Ah thankyou! I think it's an error with filehost. I've now changed the link to a DropBox one so that should be more seamless!

Opo

Monthly Donor
It was a fantastic read, btw. Solidifying my opinion that this TL is one of the best in this site. Possibly the best pre-20th century TL currently.
That's so very kind of you, thankyou!

The George IV timeline was my first foray into alt-history and looking back on it earlier to write the summary, I think it served as a nice little introduction to what came later but it was fairly short and I think it could have been a bit more detailed. And I think it may have moved a little too quickly as I was still finding my feet with the characters, setting, period and the genre itself.

Maybe one day when I bring Crown Imperial up to the modern day, I'll return to George IV's story and flesh it out a little more. But I'm very glad you enjoyed it nonetheless!

I'm very excited for the future! Keep up the good work and commendable research! Goodluck.
I also wanted to mention how much I love this TL. It also reminded me that I’m not as close a reader as I think. Louise’s death took me surprise even though I know childbirth was quite dangerous then.

I wonder if George will commission a requiem mass by Felix Mendelssohn. I find this fitting because Mendelssohn is both German and Jewish which I think honors Louise because of her acceptance of Jews in a place where anti-Semitism was common.

Opo

Monthly Donor
I also wanted to mention how much I love this TL. It also reminded me that I’m not as close a reader as I think. Louise’s death took me surprise even though I know childbirth was quite dangerous then.
Thank you for your kind feedback!
I wonder if George will commission a requiem mass by Felix Mendelssohn. I find this fitting because Mendelssohn is both German and Jewish which I think honors Louise because of her acceptance of Jews in a place where anti-Semitism was common.
AFAIK that sort of thing went out quite a long time before George's reign. The last "royal requiem" I can find mention of is the Funeral Anthem for Queen Caroline by Handel. I think by the 1840s, other set pieces had become so popular (like the Dead March from Saul) that it was seen as a bit ostentatious to commission anything new.

It's a very sweet idea though and whilst we won't see half of London turned over to memorial halls/monuments as we did in the OTL when Prince Albert died, Queen Louise will be immortalised in other ways.

In related news, I've had a week to update and plan and the first chapter of Part Three will most likely be published tomorrow. :)