Civilization survival ship

Back in the 60s, There were fears that a nuclear war would wipe out civilization. What if the US or UN built a fleet of ships loaded with things people would need to rebuild their civilization. Leave the ships out in the middle of the oceans with notice to mariners of their locations. Treat them like hospital ships, non combatant.
What type of ship would you use? Convert a carrier so half the flight deck is used for grazing of goats or cows? Have storage holds filled with food and supplies? Have a Tanker? Troop ship to carry potential survivors?
Would have to have things like major foundry and machine shops to build parts and tools needed. Crew would have to have sprinkling of different trades. Even ratio of men to women.
Maybe think of it as a ISOT ship. Pack it full of what you think you need to kick start civilization on its way back?
Ok probably a stupid idea, just something I thought of.
Mods, if this should go to ASB go ahead and move it. I wasn't sure if this was right place.

I've seen the idea discussed. The UN isn't going to do something like this, but the US (or other countries) might. You don't want to tell people where it is, though, because then they might target it. The idea wasn't to make it an "ISoT ship", just to use it to store supplies needed for reconstruction - no matter how bad the nuclear war is, there will be survivors, and there will be a lot more of them if they have ready access to stuff like generators and communications equipment.

Historically, the US preferred to warehouse emergency gear on land in dispersed locations rather then at sea, but I don't think it's implausible that they might prefer maritime storage - if they can find the money. Civil defense in the US was always, always strapped for cash. The reason they put out so many pamphlets was because they couldn't find the money to do much more. Changing that is going to be very difficult; Congress was always loathe to spend the money, and very few presidents really cared about it - JFK was the only significant exception.

Morty Vicar

Banned
I know nothing about ships, but I'd imagine a nuclear submarine would be better suited to any given global disasters.

I know nothing about ships, but I'd imagine a nuclear submarine would be better suited to any given global disasters.

Way more expensive, though. Plus not much carrying capacity, and probably not much more survivable as long as you stay inside friendly waters.

Back in the 60s, There were fears that a nuclear war would wipe out civilization. What if the US or UN built a fleet of ships loaded with things people would need to rebuild their civilization. Leave the ships out in the middle of the oceans with notice to mariners of their locations. Treat them like hospital ships, non combatant.
What type of ship would you use? Convert a carrier so half the flight deck is used for grazing of goats or cows? Have storage holds filled with food and supplies? Have a Tanker? Troop ship to carry potential survivors?
Would have to have things like major foundry and machine shops to build parts and tools needed. Crew would have to have sprinkling of different trades. Even ratio of men to women.
Maybe think of it as a ISOT ship. Pack it full of what you think you need to kick start civilization on its way back?
Ok probably a stupid idea, just something I thought of.
Mods, if this should go to ASB go ahead and move it. I wasn't sure if this was right place.

I like it.

BUt no telling people.

No grazing. Fishing.

Ryan

Donor
Maybe not a ship, but a perhaps a vault? Something like Yucca Mountain, though instead of storing nuclear waste it's something like the modern day Svalbard Global Seed Vault, but souped up to include equipment and material?

Prepare for the future with vault tech!

Future_vault.jpg

sorry, I couldn't help it :p:D

Last edited:

Morty Vicar

Banned
Way more expensive, though. Plus not much carrying capacity, and probably not much more survivable as long as you stay inside friendly waters.

I was thinking more about it's vulnerablility to storms and tidal waves etc, possible outcomes of nuclear war or climate disaster of some sort. I'd imagine being submersible would be a major bonus there, even if only to be able to slavage goods from undersea.

CalBear

Donor
Monthly Donor
Would the major combatants really respect the non-combat status of this ship?

It is a interesting idea. I would think a much large nuclear powered commercial cargo vessel would be ideal- http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NS_Savannah

Maybe something based on the Maritime propositioning ships.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maritime_prepositioning_ship#Watson_Class

I doubt it. Back in the day, the Soviets and the U.S. both intended to hit any target that might assist the enemy in reconstruction. You reach full exchange and it is all in, all the way.

I was thinking more about it's vulnerablility to storms and tidal waves etc, possible outcomes of nuclear war or climate disaster of some sort. I'd imagine being submersible would be a major bonus there, even if only to be able to slavage goods from undersea.

In the '60s, people won't be thinking about climate disasters (and a ship wouldn't do much good with that anyway). And nuclear winter wasn't widely recognized as a potential problem until the '80s. So I don't think that would be a factor in deciding whether to use ships or subs. And re: underwater salvage, I'm skeptical how much good that would do, but even if it's useful you can do that from a surface ship just as well.

If the nuclear war is really that bad I would assume the waters are no longer well-defended.

Maybe, maybe not, but the other side probably isn't going to have the resources to go hunting for it. Stay on the move and don't hit port until the bombs have stopped landing.

Maybe, maybe not, but the other side probably isn't going to have the resources to go hunting for it. Stay on the move and don't hit port until the bombs have stopped landing.

That kind of thinking leads me back to a Nuclear Powered Cargo ship as the best design.

As for the ships, im sure the mothball fleet had hundreds of ships that could of been converted. A early Essex? Independance light carrier. Not to mention Liberty ships and Victory ships.
The Army corps of Engineers did experiments with power-barges with reactors. Would be less expensive than a Savanna class ship. But then at least the Savannah could carry cargo as well.
It is true that they could be targets, but then so could storage depots on land could be targeted as well. Keep them moving in a area and could be difficult targets, Considered that for the MX missile. Maybe keep a hunter killer sub near by to protect from seaborne threats.

Imagine something like that coming into new Orleans after Katrina?

Last edited: