Chinese State in Australia

The Yue didn't get their act together until Vietnam, though Yue and Minyue did provide significant resistance.
Actually, before the Han invasion in the Thuc and Trieu dynasty(Nanyue) the people who we now call the Viets which call themselves Kinh were under a union with the Zhuangs, I believe the Zhuangs could had assimilated the Kinh.

Basically China conquering Australia is borderline ASB they might explore and settle but they will not colonize because it is too far and they did not know Australia, Majapahit colonizing Australia is very possible due to it's proximity, they just need more population for colonization.

scholar

Banned
Actually, before the Han invasion in the Thuc and Trieu dynasty(Nanyue) the people who we now call the Viets which call themselves Kinh were under a union with the Zhuangs, I believe the Zhuangs could had assimilated the Kinh.
I view the Zhao Tuo state as chinese in origin, rather than one created by the natives. This is because it was, in fact, a chinese remnant state left over from the Qin after the initial conquest of the lands. Its true that the state was even more influenced by the natives than the state of Chu, but it was for all intents and purposes a chinese state at its heart. It was conquered in less than a century, before the grandchildren of the Qin died off.

I see I should have elaborated a bit more on what happened before the landings near Darwin.

In TTL, the Ming dynasty never existed. The Yuan broke up a bit earlier and China was divided between Shun (north) and Wu (south), while Shun the most powerful militarily. Faced by a more powerful and expansionist neighbor, guarded only by the Yangtze river, the Wu were forced to become better seafarers and traders, so that they could recruit potential allies and money sources from abroad. An example of this trend is that the Wu capital was at Guangzhou, both well situated to participate in trade with southeast Asia and India, and really far away from the Shun border.

Eighty years pass, and the Wu invite Timur's successor, Shah Rukh, to invade Shun China. He does, eventually succeeding after a long and difficult campaign aided by what was essentially a Chinese fifth column. Except then he doesn't leave, declaring himself the First Emperor of the Tieh dynasty. The Tieh then proceed to overrun Mongolia, Korea, and finally Wu over the next several years.

The Wu are forced to flee into exile. First they go to Tondo, but are expelled when the Tieh demonstrate they have naval capabilities. They then go to Champa, but are also expelled when Champa becomes a Tieh vassal. They then move on to Majapahit, which doesn't want them either because of old trade rivalries, but also bars the Wu from traveling west. With no other choice, the Wu are forced to stop at the first piece of land they come across, Australia. That's the 100 year backstory to the opening post. Hopes that clears things up.

And on the subject of Chinese colonies, I was referring to the 'bunch of settlers pack up and settle in some, relatively uninhabited place far, far away' a la New England.

You need to clarify those for me, because it appears to me that you may be misinformed, particularly about Japan. Japan was culturally dominated by China, copying and developing chinese ideals into their own, with some Korean influence, and merging it with their own. Japan, however, was never colonized by the Chinese.

Well, not quite the same thing, but the Ryukyus were vassals of China for a period of time.