Brainstorming: Roman Republic collapses in 2-1st Century BC

1. Rome loses the cimbrian war
2. Rome to loses an Analogue to the Social war and collapses leaving rump states and Italia.
3. Mithradates dominates Anatolia ( not needed but in my view it is rather likely )
4. How plausible is it and what is the best way to achieve it?
5. I plan to do this TL concurrently with the Islam One , so a far future project after finishing or taking a break from my Harald TL.

Last edited:
1. Rome loses the cimbrian war
2. Rome to loses an Analogue to the Social war and collapses leaving rump states and Italia.
3. Mithradates dominates Anatolia ( not needed but in my view it is rather likely )
4. How plausible is it and what is the best way to achieve it?
5. I plan to do this TL concurrently with the Islam One , so a far future project after finishing or taking a break from my Harald TL.
The Social War is almost always going to end with the Romans offering immediate citizenship to any rebelling Italian state that wants it the moment the war starts looking dicey, so I'm not really sure a Social War collapse is at all possible.

Re: the Cimbrian war, I guess without Marius you could get the Romans to struggle for far longer-the Cimbri/Teutones are also going to ravage Spain. I'm not sure exactly what a Cimbri/Teuton victory would look like though, since outside of just finding somewhere to settle, it's unclear what their end goal (or if they even had one) was.

Re: the Cimbrian war, I guess without Marius you could get the Romans to struggle for far longer-the Cimbri/Teutones are also going to ravage Spain. I'm not sure exactly what a Cimbri/Teuton victory would look like though, since outside of just finding somewhere to settle, it's unclear what their end goal (or if they even had one) was.
I think their goal was to have a rather stable home , whatever or wherever that is.
The Social War is almost always going to end with the Romans offering immediate citizenship to any rebelling Italian state that wants it the moment the war starts looking dicey, so I'm not really sure a Social War collapse is at all possible.
I was thinking more along the lines of Rome getting in streak of Bad luck and losing the Cimbrian War , an analogue to Social and Mithraditic war and maybe the servile wars, resulting in its collapse .

I was thinking more along the lines of Rome getting in streak of Bad luck and losing the Cimbrian War , an analogue to Social and Mithraditic war and maybe the servile wars, resulting in its collapse .
Ah, well that's an interesting confluence of events. Though I'll say, part of what generated the social war to kick off when it did was the lack of external enemies. The Italians were interested in getting a bigger share of the Roman imperial project (which they benefitted greatly from), not in destroying it. The discontent and political wrangling was largely put off during the Cimbrian War, and if things really start going south for the Romans, it's going to be put off for awhile more. The Italians lose just as much as the Romans do from the Roman state collapsing.

As for Mithridates, particularly if things are going south for the Romans elsewhere, I can definitely see him consolidating his gains in Asia. Though he seemed uninterested in stopping there, and invading Greece was where he ran into trouble iOTL. So he may have to temper his ambitions a bit for this to work out for him.

Though I'll say, part of what generated the social war to kick off when it did was the lack of external enemies. The Italians were interested in getting a bigger share of the Roman imperial project (which they benefitted greatly from), not in destroying it. The discontent and political wrangling was largely put off during the Cimbrian War, and if things really start going south for the Romans, it's going to be put off for awhile more. The Italians lose just as much as the Romans do from the Roman state collapsing.
I agree, but It could end up at a point where the Italians realize the imperial project is failing and revolt as a result. anyways if this revolt i successful , i would curious to know of the Linguistic situation in Italy and Beyond.
As for Mithridates, particularly if things are going south for the Romans elsewhere, I can definitely see him consolidating his gains in Asia. Though he seemed uninterested in stopping there, and invading Greece was where he ran into trouble iOTL. So he may have to temper his ambitions a bit for this to work out for him
Why not Greece? He managed to get the support of a lot of a Greeks . Beyond Greece is hard though.