As Dreamers Do: American Magic Redux

Since ET isn't until '82, the Sixth Sense would likely be Henry Thomas's debut role unless there's someone else that was already active that could play that character.

Actually, is Leonard Nimoy available as the psychologist? He did play one (both human and pod--he managed to be creepy (1)) in the 1978 version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers...

Ann Jillian could play the boy's mother--she was in her late 20s, and marrying young was still not unheard of in the 1970s (plus, it'd be a different role from Cassie Cranston on It's A Living, which I hope is still a series ITTL). Or, if not Ann Jillian, how about Barrie Youngfellow, her co-star on It's A Living (she was Jan on the show--and lasted for all six seasons, becoming the lead after Jillian left)? She'd be the right age to play Cole's mother, and she looks similar to Toni Collette (who played Cole's mother IOTL)...

(1) He also was a creepy murderer in Columbo, too--the psychiatrist role would certainly be an anti-Spock...

Last edited:
I kinda they don't do the whole psychologist was dead the whole subplot in this version but instead makes him more like Gary Collins character from the 1972 TV show.

With M. Night not directing The Sixth Sense, I doubt they'd be pushing for the twist ending.
Nope. No twist ending here.

Actually, is Leonard Nimoy available as the psychologist? He did play one (both human and pod--he managed to be creepy (1)) in the 1978 version of Invasion of the Body Snatchers...

Ann Jillian could play the boy's mother--she was in her late 20s, and marrying young was still not unheard of in the 1970s (plus, it'd be a different role from Cassie Cranston on It's A Living, which I hope is still a series ITTL). Or, if not Ann Jillian, how about Barrie Youngfellow, her co-star on It's A Living (she was Jan on the show--and lasted for all six seasons, becoming the lead after Jillian left)? She'd be the right age to play Cole's mother, and she looks similar to Toni Collette (who played Cole's mother IOTL)...

(1) He also was a creepy murderer in Columbo, too--the psychiatrist role would certainly be an anti-Spock...
Nimoy might be filming Star Trek: The Motion Picture.

Youngfellow would be good. It would've been 1977 or 1978 that Ann Jillian records her lines for Disney's Rapunzel for a 1979 release.

The State of the Animation Industry as of 1978
Warner Bros. will undergo a feasibility study of returning to the animation business for themselves after recent years of licensing their iconic characters to CMJ, DePatie-Freleng and Avery-Clampett for recent Saturday Morning projects.

The smash success of Bert and Ernie on the small screen could signal the start of a longer-term alliance between Jim Henson and Hanna-Barbera. Both parties have even discussed forming a joint venture for live action films with former Columbia chief Peter Guber, Disney's Ron Miller or Paramount's Michael Eisner rumored to be ideal candidates to run it.

Walt Disney Pictures will debut two new shorts from director Don Bluth. The Small One will play before a reissue of Pinocchio this holiday season. The second short, Banjo the Woodpile Cat, will play in front of Rapunzel, which will be released for Thanksgiving of '79. On the small screen, Disney's Grantray-Lawrence division is developing Casper and the Angels for Fall '79.

Over at 20th Century-Fox, another Disney subsidiary, the anime dubs have helped give anime a foothold on American television. However, the Fox chairman's office has sat vacant since Alan Ladd, Jr. joined Columbia. That might change as Roy E. Disney, Walt, Sr.'s nephew, has recommended Pomona College classmate Frank Wells to fill the vacancy. Roy is currently the CEO of Grantray-Lawrence after Ray Patterson left for Ruby-Spears.

Rumors persist that Pippi Longstocking, slated for 1980, may be the farewell project for longtime Famous Studios exec Walter Lantz. But some say he Walter has one last Woody Woodpecker "cartune" left in him. Famous has also confirmed they've reached a deal with King Features Syndicate on a new Popeye series.

1979 will mark the thirtieth anniversary of Crusader Rabbit, the twentieth of Rocky and Bullwinkle and the tenth of Karen Sympathy. What will Jay Ward Productions do? After spending most of the Seventies focused on TV commercials for clients like Quaker Oats, we'll have to wait and see.

Are the Chipmunks ready for a comeback? CMJ and Bagdasarian Studios seem to think so.

Ruby-Spears' very first project, Fangface, is set to hit airwaves on Saturday Mornings this September.

With Tex Avery's health in decline, Avery-Clampett could be on its way to a corporate takeover.

Nelvana has two feature projects in the works, The Devil and Daniel Mouse, slated for later this year and Rome-O and Julie-8 for 1979.

The seeds for Danjaq/Williams have been sown in Atlanta. Financial backing will be provided by longtime James Bond producer Albert R. "Cubby" Broccoli with United Artists handling distribution. Meanwhile, Richard Williams will continue to operate his London office. The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe will be produced on an accelerated schedule for a Christmas 1979 release, going head to head with Disney's Rapunzel.

Bringing up the rear
Murakami-Wolf-Swenson
Filmation

Warner Bros. will undergo a feasibility study of returning to the animation business for themselves after recent years of licensing their iconic characters to CMJ, DePatie-Freleng and Avery-Clampett for recent Saturday Morning projects.

The smash success of Bert and Ernie on the small screen could signal the start of a longer-term alliance between Jim Henson and Hanna-Barbera. Both parties have even discussed forming a joint venture for live action films with former Columbia chief Peter Guber, Disney's Ron Miller or Paramount's Michael Eisner rumored to be ideal candidates to run it.

Walt Disney Pictures will debut two new shorts from director Don Bluth. The Small One will play before a reissue of Pinocchio this holiday season. The second short, Banjo the Woodpile Cat, will play in front of Rapunzel, which will be released for Thanksgiving of '79. On the small screen, Disney's Grantray-Lawrence division is developing Casper and the Angels for Fall '79.

Over at 20th Century-Fox, another Disney subsidiary, the anime dubs have helped give anime a foothold on American television. However, the Fox chairman's office has sat vacant since Alan Ladd, Jr. joined Columbia. That might change as Roy E. Disney, Walt, Sr.'s nephew, has recommended Pomona College classmate Frank Wells to fill the vacancy. Roy is currently the CEO of Grantray-Lawrence after Ray Patterson left for Ruby-Spears.

Rumors persist that Pippi Longstocking, slated for 1980, may be the farewell project for longtime Famous Studios exec Walter Lantz. But some say he Walter has one last Woody Woodpecker "cartune" left in him. Famous has also confirmed they've reached a deal with King Features Syndicate on a new Popeye series.

1979 will mark the thirtieth anniversary of Crusader Rabbit, the twentieth of Rocky and Bullwinkle and the tenth of Karen Sympathy. What will Jay Ward Productions do? After spending most of the Seventies focused on TV commercials for clients like Quaker Oats, we'll have to wait and see.

Are the Chipmunks ready for a comeback? CMJ and Bagdasarian Studios seem to think so.

Ruby-Spears' very first project, Fangface, is set to hit airwaves on Saturday Mornings this September.

With Tex Avery's health in decline, Avery-Clampett could be on its way to a corporate takeover.

Nelvana has two feature projects in the works, The Devil and Daniel Mouse, slated for later this year and Rome-O and Julie-8 for 1979.

The seeds for Danjaq/Williams have been sown in Atlanta. Financial backing will be provided by longtime James Bond producer Albert R. "Cubby" Broccoli with United Artists handling distribution. Meanwhile, Richard Williams will continue to operate his London office. The Lion, The Witch and the Wardrobe will be produced on an accelerated schedule for a Christmas 1979 release, going head to head with Disney's Rapunzel.

Bringing up the rear
Murakami-Wolf-Swenson
Filmation
I really hope their study comes back in a positive light.

I'd go for Michael Eisner on this.

So, does that mean that Don Bluth's classic films become Disney staples? In that case, will The Land Before Time have as many sequels as they did ITTL?

Why is Casper and the Angels made by Grantray-Lawrence ITTL, instead of Hanna-Barbera?

I agree with Roy E. Disney. Bring on Frank Wells! With that said, are there any new dubs in the pipeline for Fox?

If I could make a suggestion, how about a Woody Woodpecker movie after Pippi Longstocking, so that Lantz can end his career off with a bang? As for Popeye, in OTL, at least, Famous Studios was the company that brought him into color, so they kinda know from experience on using his characters. Sure, it might not be in this timeline, but it's something.

It will likely be a new show. I mean, the evidence is in the anniversaries. 30 years for Crusader Rabbit, 20 years for Rocky and Bullwinkle, and 10 years for Karen Sympathy? How could Jay Ward NOT create a new cartoon in 1979?

Well, when the Chipmunks made a comeback during that period IOTL, it led to one of the most popular Saturday Morning cartoons in history, so putting Chuck Jones in the driver's seat for this might be interesting to see.

Here's hoping that the new company can last in this climate.

I actually think that WB should acquire Avery-Clampett, plus their library, and revive their interest in animation by letting the new subsidiary have free reign over the cast. I mean, these two guys ruled the roost back in the 40's at the studio, so it seems to go full-circle to have the company outright acquire a smaller studio for the purposes of restarting their cartoon-making days.

Godspeed, Nelvana.

This box-office brawl could lead to some interesting details in the future. Of course, it's nice that Richard Williams is getting a competent distributor for this.

So, does that mean that Don Bluth's classic films become Disney staples? In that case, will The Land Before Time have as many sequels as they did ITTL?
Land Before Time would probably have 1 DVD sequel which is way better than the 13! we got in OTL.
I actually think that WB should acquire Avery-Clampett, plus their library, and revive their interest in animation by letting the new subsidiary have free reign over the cast. I mean, these two guys ruled the roost back in the 40's at the studio, so it seems to go full-circle to have the company outright acquire a smaller studio for the purposes of restarting their cartoon-making days.
Agreed. That also clears the path for Turner-HB with WB likely out of the race.

Land Before Time would probably have 1 DVD sequel which is way better than the 13! we got in OTL.

Agreed. That also clears the path for Turner-HB with WB likely out of the race.
I couldn't agree more. Then again, the only reason why we have 14 LBT movies is because Universal doesn't have nearly as many animated movies of their own to make sequels out of compared to Disney.

Yeah! Plus, if Turner and WB still merge as per IOTL, that leads to even more cartoons to air on Cartoon Network!

Me too. ITTL maybe Turner could make an investment in the NWA and from there bankroll the consolidation process Jim Crockett was attempting throughout the 80's. Possibly, with benefits for all employees so that wrestlers there won't be broke in their old age.
I would going with Bill Watts' Mid-South West/UFW instead of JMP which became WCW OTL.