4 - Sara Smile - Hall & Oates
5 - Don't Go Breaking My Heart - Elton John
6 - Dream Weaver - Gary Wright
7 - I Write The Songs - Barry Manilow
8 - Love Hurts - Nazareth
9 - Devil Woman - Cliff Richard
10 - If You Leave Me Now - Chicago

Entertainment News for February 1978
Nolan Bushnell sells Atari to Disney in order to focus his energy on his new pizza restaurant concept.
- The New York Times

After a length trial, disgraced war hero Douglas Abbott was found guilty on all incest and paedophilia offences. His youngest son, Daniel, now 19 and working as a cartoonist at the Richard Williams office in Soho, gave a testimony too graphic for the London Times to print, yet swayed a jury that was previously indecisive.
- Angela Rippon; BBC News

Disney to commence yearlong celebrations of Mickey Mouse's 50th Birthday.
- Variety

United Artists, RKO-Desilu, Hyperion, AVCO Embassy express interest in the North American rights to Monty Python's Life of Brian, slated for a 1979 release.
- The Hollywood Reporter

MGM expresses interest in Michael Cimino's script of Heaven's Gate. Cimino is currently working on The Deer Hunter, which will be released in America by Universal with EMI handling foreign distribution.
- Variety

Nolan Bushnell sells Atari to Disney in order to focus his energy on his new pizza restaurant concept.
- The New York Times
I hope they keep their name, remain a console makers and have better success with those consoles.
United Artists, RKO-Desilu, Hyperion, AVCO Embassy express interest in the North American rights to Monty Python's Life of Brian, slated for a 1979 release.
- The Hollywood Reporter
I vote Hyperion so we have a friendship between Walt Jr. and the Monty Python crew, especially Terry Gilliam.

1977 Box Office Top Fifteen

1. Star Wars (Buena Vista)
2. Nessie (Universal)
3. The Spy Who Loved Me (United Artists)
4. Saturday Night Fever (Paramount)
5. Smokey and the Bandit (Universal)
6. The Rescuers (Buena Vista)
7. Where the Wild Things Are (Warner Bros)
8. A Bridge Too Far (United Artists)
9. Close Encounters of the Third Kind (Columbia)
10. Oh, God! (Warner Bros)
11. Wizards (Universal)
12. Slap Shot (Universal)
13. The Smurfs and the Magic Flute (Hanna-Barbera)
14. High Anxiety (Buena Vista)
15. Raggedy Ann and Andy: A Musical Adventure (Columbia)

Maybe with Atari owned by Disney they'll treat their employees with respect and have better quality control. This would butterfly away both the '83 Video Game Crash and the very existence of Activision. So Bobby Kotick will have to find another company to be grossly overpaid at.

If the Atari buyout comes with Bushnell being able to utilize Disney's imagineers for Chuck E. Cheese I'd say that nobody would be able to stand in their way.

I do like the idea of the Pythons becoming friends with Walt Jr. Makes me wonder what movie they'd follow up Life of Brian with ITTL. Or maybe a short-lived animated Python show. The possibilities are endless. Especially if Walt Jr were to get Chapman to stop smoking before he gets throat cancer.

@HonestAbe1809

Well to be honest, Junior's relationship with the Pythons has already begun. Graham voiced Cogsworth in Beauty and the Beast and Michael Palin is up for a part in Rapunzel. Most likely, the film after Brian would probably still be The Meaning of Life.

After a length trial, disgraced war hero Douglas Abbott was found guilty on all incest and paedophilia offences. His youngest son, Daniel, now 19 and working as a cartoonist at the Richard Williams office in Soho, gave a testimony too graphic for the London Times to print, yet swayed a jury that was previously indecisive.
- Angela Rippon; BBC News
Don't drop the soap, Dougie.

- The Hollywood Reporter
I think UA picks it up. With Life Of Brian instead of Heaven's Gate the studio has a much brighter future.

Last edited:
In other news Pepsi plans on selling Wilson sporting equipment to Nike. Nike is doing the acquisition to branch out from shoes to other sporting equipment.(In OTL it was sold to private equity and then to China)

1978 Year end top 10
1 - Wuthering Heights - Kate Bush
2 - Kiss You All Over - Exile
3 - Psycho Killer - Talking Heads
4 - Stayin' Alive - Bee Gees
5 - Baby Come Back - Player
6 - Don't Look Back - Boston
7 - Night Fever - Bee Gees
8 - Old Time Rock And Roll - Bob Seger
9 - Love Will Find A Way - Pablo Cruise
10 - Lay Down Sally - Eric Clapton