As Dreamers Do: American Magic Redux

Entertainment News for January 1981
Timothy Allen Dick, 27, in prison for smuggling cocaine at the Kalamazoo airport, will be eligible for parole early this summer.
- The Detroit Free Press

[State Attorney General] George Deukmejian makes several public denials after reports surfaced of a possible corruption investigation involving Filmation chief Lou Scheimer.
- The Sacramento Bee

Ted Turner announces his bid for the troubled Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer studio.
- Variety

Paramount Pictures acquires the rights to Clash of the Titans, the Greek/Roman mythological epic which is slated for a summer release. The money from the purchase is expected to keep MGM afloat while they await approval from federal regulators over Ted Turner's proposed acquisition of the studio.
- The Hollywood Reporter

It's a huge mess right now after ABC cancelled The Katzenjammer Kids.
Timothy Allen Dick, 27, in prison for smuggling cocaine at the Kalamazoo airport, will be eligible for parole early this summer.
- The Detroit Free Press

[State Attorney General] George Deukmejian makes several public denials after reports surfaced of a possible corruption investigation involving Filmation chief Lou Scheimer.
- The Sacramento Bee

Ted Turner announces his bid for the troubled Metro-Goldwyn-Mayer studio.
- Variety

Paramount Pictures acquires the rights to Clash of the Titans, the Greek/Roman mythological epic which is slated for a summer release. The money from the purchase is expected to keep MGM afloat while they await approval from federal regulators over Ted Turner's proposed acquisition of the studio.
- The Hollywood Reporter
Tokyo disneyland broke ground in jaunty 1981. I support the idea of disney going to south korea austuirlia or maybe some where in europe for the next part atl because thye already have naradreamland and possible even yokhama disneyland. I'd have the oriental land company team up with toho shoen ninetnedo and studio ghiblie or tousto proudtion to make a japanes cultural themepark

I'm honestly worried that Saturday Morning Cartoons Blocks might not survive. That mess ABC created might lead to the downfall of Saturday Morning Cartoons as a whole.

Hopefully I'm wrong though.
I know I said that I'd like to handle the SatAM lineups of this timeline, but with that mishap, I feel sorry for the guys who ACTUALLY deal with this job right then and there!

So yeah. While the new dub ideas for Fox and Warner Bros. back in that one time, with Maya the Bee by Fox, Honeybee Hutch by Warner Bros, and a second Fox dub that is currently on the tip of my tongue right now, were received surprisingly well on your ends, I would like to keep that schedule as a one-and-done project if you'd please.

Just as long as the cenrsorship dosn't go hogwild and led to childern programing becomeig a wasteland of uncreative cutcuter shcook
I second this. Last thing we need is garbage on Saturday Mornings. There needs a balance, which may take time to find but it needs to happen after what happened ITTL.

@Mitch!

There’s also the realization that, although Daniel Abbott is alive and well, there are no updates on the whereabouts of some of the other original characters from American Magic. This includes Rachel Stone and Gus St. Pierre. What are either of them, or any original character, up to now?

Gus, now 3, was born Augustus Jean-Claude St. Pierre on November 30, 1977. He is the youngest of six children raised by Blanche and Virgil St. Pierre in Jefferson Parish, Louisiana.

Rachel Stone will turn 20 in February. She is currently a student at the University of Maryland, but is planning to transfer to Evergreen State College in Olympia, WA for the Fall of 1981.

Zack Dillinger, now 50, is in the running to become Hollywood's "Cartoon Czar." However, some within the Screen Cartoonists Association of America (SCAA) may prefer someone from outside the industry to avoid potential conflicts of interest. Zack joined the Walter Lantz studio as a senior in high school. He then became a journeyman for different studios before settling at Nelvana around 1977.

Whitey Larkin, now 54, is another candidate for the role of the SCAA's Cartoon Czar. Again, he and Zack Dillinger have some very fierce competition. Margaret Loesch, Judy Price [1], Squire Rushnell [2] and even former California governor Ronald Reagan

[1] IOTL, she was head of children's programming at CBS when Mighty Mouse: The New Adventures was pitched to the network.
[2] IOTL, he was head of children's programming at ABC during the Beany and Cecil disaster of 1988.

"Blair," the young girl that was abducted by John Kricfalusi in the original American Magic thread, was born in December of 1980 in New Rochelle, New York.

Margaret Loesch
Considering her background in both Fox Kids and The Hub/Hub Network IOTL, I'd vote for her to be the Cartoon Czar in a heartbeat ITTL. I mean, running the places that brought you multiple 90's classics AND one of the biggest phenomena in modern animation history in one fell swoop? Now that's what I'd call television executive royalty!

Considering her background in both Fox Kids and The Hub/Hub Network IOTL, I'd vote for her to be the Cartoon Czar in a heartbeat ITTL. I mean, running the places that brought you multiple 90's classics AND one of the biggest phenomena in modern animation history in one fell swoop? Now that's what I'd call television executive royalty!
Couldn't agree more. She was the one who gave Power Rangers a chance OTL. I respect her for that.

1. What's the next movie release?
2. Ronald Reagan? So who was the Republican nominee in 1980?
3. What titles were part of Disney's experiment with Home Video sold at Fotomat?

I want to see Embassy acquired by another company, perhaps Time, ABC, Metromedia, or Sony.
I'd go with either Sony or ABC. Sony because they own it IOTL, and ABC because it fits from a phonetic perspective...

Ay-Bee-See = Ehm-Bah-See

You see? ABC and Embassy do fit together from a phonetic perspective.