Antarctic France Timeline: a French Southern Cone in America.

I think that slavery could be important only in northeastern parts of the country (parts talent from Brazil, Missiones). Only there you can grow cash crops

JosephWorld

Banned
I think that slavery could be important only in northeastern parts of the country (parts talent from Brazil, Missiones). Only there you can grow cash crops
You are right, the slave zone is going to be only in the OTL South Brazil and Paraguay. Paraguay is part of the slave zone because I am going to make the region a kind of Antarctic Texas.

Last edited:

JosephWorld

Banned
I just made a change. I pushed back the border with the Portuguese empire from the Paranapanema river to the Tiete river (thus at the level of the OTL city of Sao Paulo) in order to include the entire OTL Mato Grosso Do Sul region in Antarctic France (go to the map on page 4), and make a clean contiguous boundary. Because the Mato Grosso Do Sul is a much too fertile region, and Antarctic France is too populated, impossible that the farmers of Antarctic France do not come to colonize it overwhelmingly in the 19th century.

Last edited:

JosephWorld

Banned
Part XVIII: Demographic transition in metropolitan France and emigration in Antarctic France.

While France was already by far the most populated country in Europe before the 18th century, France experienced, from the 1710s onwards, a demographic explosion never seen before in the world. In the space of 80 years, the French population grew from 20 to 28 million. Indeed, the improvement of the climatic conditions (after several decades of intense cold which had generated innumerable famines throughout Europe) made the mortality rate in France drop, while the birth rate remained at the same time very high. The demographic pressure on the kingdom of France was thus intense. The French countryside was very populated. Shanty towns also appeared in the outskirts of the big French cities, which caused insecurity.

The demographic transition in metropolitan France had a significant positive impact on Antarctic France: from the 1710s to the 1780s, nearly 200,000 emigrants arrived in the Southern Cone and were dispersed throughout the colonies of Antarctic France. Added to this an average natural growth rate of the local population of 25% per decade! Thus, between the census of 1714 and the census of 1784, the population of Antarctic France grew from nearly 600,000 to over 4 million inhabitants, so the colonial population of the Southern Cone was larger than the population of the Thirteen Colonies in North America! Many of the immigrants to Antarctic France were former criminals and dregs of society, deported from metropolitan France...

In the 17th and early 18th centuries, the "Court of Miracles" was a vast range of slums in Paris. These slums were lawless areas where begging, theft and prostitution were the only economic activities. During the 18th century, the Paris police gradually liquidated the Court of Miracles, tens of thousands of hoodlums were thus sent to the bagne or interned in institutions for the marginalised, thousands of them were also sent to Antarctic France. In addition, many convicts from the Bagne of Toulon had to sign a contract in which, in order to regain their freedom, they committed themselves to going to Antarctic France and never to set foot in metropolitan France again.

The departure of nearly 200,000 people to Antarctic France was able to greatly curb the uncontrolled urbanization of the cities, which consequently prevented the formation of a vast lumpenproletariat that could be a source of social tensions and revolts...

Finally, during the 18th century, an increasing number of emigrants to Antarctic France were of foreign origin. Indeed, in the eyes of European Protestants, Antarctic France was considered a hospitable land to practice the Protestant faith in the New World (even if the ratio between Protestants and Catholics began to balance in the 18th century in Antarctic France, due to the massive arrival of French Catholics). So, numerous German or Dutch communities, such as the Pietists or the Mennonites, arrived in Antarctic France. These communities formed sects that evolved completely in isolation (as did the Calvinist Huguenots in the 16th and 17th centuries).

Last edited:
As I'm working on a Huguenot colony TL as well and since I'm quite fond of demographics, I have a great appreciation for this chapter and overall TL.

*White, Hispanic and mixed race, *Black and Native American
I personally think these concepts are too anglicized. And France Antarctique would surely be part of latin america, it would be a latin american country, but the difference is that is majority protestant. More like a romance-speaking Jamaica-like country than an USA-like country, like you said before.