[2] The word AIMA means “blood” in Greek, and it has been associated to a supposed prophecy regarding the Komnenian Emperors: that each monarch would have the first letter of their names related to the order of the coined acronym A-I-M-A. Manuel apparently believed in the prophecy and, IOTL, he named all his male sons with the initial letter “A” - thus we had historically Alexios, Ioannes, Manuel and Alexios. In-TL, the situation is very similar, barring the fact that Manuel actually had three sons: Alexios, Andronikos and Alexandros.
You know, it does make me wonder though. Had the Komnenoi continued to reign, would the AIMA naming convention have continued with successive monarchs (ala the Frederik/Christian convention that Denmark has been using to this day) or will we see that dropped at some point. Granted of course, this also is dependent on if a) the Komnenoi still continues to reign, and b) if Byzantium continues to exist.

Wonder if the Rhomanians have anything planned beyond the AIMA prophecy. Do they know what could come next?

Also read the chapter about the lives of Jews in this world. Made me wonder: other than Spain will the Fourth Crusade have any other targets that isn't Constantinople or Zara? My theory is that the Fourth Crusade will be a series of campaigns in different locations rather than a single campaign in a single location as it was before. To clarify, I mean there'll be an invasion in Spain, an invasion somewhere in North Africa, and maybe an invasion somewhere in Nubia or the Middle East.

I suspect Spain not be united in this timeline if the Franks control al-Andalus. Or if the other independent kingdoms will be a part of the new Frankish kingdom. Or if France controls Iberia this time which could have some very interesting consequences though I wonder how the French will actually control it. Plus not to mention there'll definitely be attempts to invade Morocco like OTL though I doubt the Crusaders will enjoy much success like their OTL counterparts.

Last edited:
IIRC, we haven't seen yet any butterfly on the Iberian Christian kingdoms ITTL since the original POD. So, have any of them happened there since then?

IIRC, we haven't seen yet any butterfly on the Iberian Christian kingdoms ITTL since the original POD. So, have any of them happened there since then?

We know that the Reconquesta is going to finish sooner and go further (reaching into Moracco at the very least. There will also be a Crusade which will establish a Kingdom in North Africa, but whether this is directly connected to the Reconquesta or not, I am unsure) - but, yes, I don't think we've really focused on Iberia much.

So what exaclty is going on in Egypt, who has control of it? It seems to be a patchwork of Roman and Crusader warlords.

Damn, I’m getting death flags for the Komnenos dynasty, sucks that it seems they’re still fated to fall and create issues. I hope that reforms can be made to bring the nobles under control.

So what exaclty is going on in Egypt, who has control of it? It seems to be a patchwork of Roman and Crusader warlords.

Damn, I’m getting death flags for the Komnenos dynasty, sucks that it seems they’re still fated to fall and create issues. I hope that reforms can be made to bring the nobles under control.
For now at least. The Rhomanians are definitely not going to get Egypt and the fact that it'll most likely be its own kingdom is going to create a lot of issues between Jerusalem and Constantinople. The Rhomanians are going to be pissed that the Crusaders easily got it after all their hard work was for nothing, the Crusaders will tell the Rhomanians "you snooze you lose", and if Egypt becomes its own thing Jerusalem might be pissed about it. So I am definitely betting on a lot of hot egos clashing here.

The end of the AIMA really makes me suspect something really huge is about to happen. And as you suggest it won't be good.

For now at least. The Rhomanians are definitely not going to get Egypt and the fact that it'll most likely be its own kingdom is going to create a lot of issues between Jerusalem and Constantinople. The Rhomanians are going to be pissed that the Crusaders easily got it after all their hard work was for nothing, the Crusaders will tell the Rhomanians "you snooze you lose", and if Egypt becomes its own thing Jerusalem might be pissed about it. So I am definitely betting on a lot of hot egos clashing here.

The end of the AIMA really makes me suspect something really huge is about to happen. And as you suggest it won't be good.
Definitely going to cause issues no matter how it goes. And having Egypt be its own independent realm or realms free of Constantinople an Jerusalem would be quite i interesting. I doubt either of them would be happy with such a thing.

I really hope not! I want to the Kommnenos dynasty last a heck of a lot longer and keep the empire strong and prosperous and all that.

Definitely going to cause issues no matter how it goes. And having Egypt be its own independent realm or realms free of Constantinople an Jerusalem would be quite i interesting. I doubt either of them would be happy with such a thing.

I really hope not! I want to the Kommnenos dynasty last a heck of a lot longer and keep the empire strong and prosperous and all that.
Yep, we defo need a Constantinus Komnenos that rebuilds the empire in Crimea or something lol.

My theory is that the Fourth Crusade will be a series of campaigns in different locations rather than a single campaign in a single location as it was before. To clarify, I mean there'll be an invasion in Spain, an invasion somewhere in North Africa, and maybe an invasion somewhere in Nubia or the Middle East.

I suspect Spain not be united in this timeline if the Franks control al-Andalus. Or if the other independent kingdoms will be a part of the new Frankish kingdom. Or if France controls Iberia this time which could have some very interesting consequences though I wonder how the French will actually control it. Plus not to mention there'll definitely be attempts to invade Morocco like OTL though I doubt the Crusaders will enjoy much success like their OTL counterparts.
We know that the Reconquesta is going to finish sooner and go further (reaching into Moracco at the very least. There will also be a Crusade which will establish a Kingdom in North Africa, but whether this is directly connected to the Reconquesta or not, I am unsure) - but, yes, I don't think we've really focused on Iberia much.
Parallel efforts as part of the 4th crusade is possible.
The main effort is borne by, let's say, in Iberia, spearheaded by the French in support of fellow Christian kingdoms in Iberia (who else would lead the crusade in Spain if not the King of France, who has absolutely no vested interest in settling some accounts with the Aragonese regarding some matters in Provence...).
But the Sicilians have also interests in North Africa, so they could at the same time make a grab for ports in Tunisia and Libya and take over the ancient breadbasket of Italy.

Parallel efforts as part of the 4th crusade is possible.
The main effort is borne by, let's say, in Iberia, spearheaded by the French in support of fellow Christian kingdoms in Iberia (who else would lead the crusade in Spain if not the King of France, who has absolutely no vested interest in settling some accounts with the Aragonese regarding some matters in Provence...).
But the Sicilians have also interests in North Africa, so they could at the same time make a grab for ports in Tunisia and Libya and take over the ancient breadbasket of Italy.
tbf I do want to see Aragon take over Occitania as compared to Catalonia, but it'd definitely be interesting if we get a mozarabic kingdom from a native rebellion that got strengthened by the crusaders. It'd be quite different from otl Spanish kingdoms. Also I hope Leonese becomes an important language in Iberia unlike otl.

yeah I defo could see the Sicilians say 'Tunisia delenda est!' lol

but seriously a longer lasting kingdom of sicily would be very cool, especially if they also take Tunisia and Libya and use it to control the passage of ships between the med, while having quite a lot of revenue from the crops and the wealth around the ocean.

tbf I do want to see Aragon take over Occitania as compared to Catalonia, but it'd definitely be interesting if we get a mozarabic kingdom from a native rebellion that got strengthened by the crusaders. It'd be quite different from otl Spanish kingdoms. Also I hope Leonese becomes an important language in Iberia unlike otl.

yeah I defo could see the Sicilians say 'Tunisia delenda est!' lol

but seriously a longer lasting kingdom of sicily would be very cool, especially if they also take Tunisia and Libya and use it to control the passage of ships between the med, while having quite a lot of revenue from the crops and the wealth around the ocean.
The problem is that Aragon much preferred keeping Catalonia than they ever did Occitania given their multiple negotiations and treaties with France regarding ownership of both.

The problem is that Aragon much preferred keeping Catalonia than they ever did Occitania given their multiple negotiations and treaties with France regarding ownership of both.
I mean yeah I agree with your thoughts about it.

I just find a fragmented France is an interesting concept, and considering that the crusader states would have a lot of occitan speakers they could be a source of power for occitan to break free of France, especially Syria.

As far as I know, the Aragonese did not have any claim over Languedoc. The claim over Toulouse has been, for the time being ITTL, settled in favor of the House of Poitiers as Dukes of Aquitaine, while Raimondines survive in Septimania (or Lower Languedoc as it may be called, albeit in company of the House of Trancavel). The only lands north of the Pyrenees the Aragonese control, that is only if the House of Barcelona ascends to the Aragonese throne as per OTL, would be Roussillon and Provence.
While they intervened in support of the Counts of Toulouse during the OTL Albigensian crusades, ITTL they probably won't, because their claims in Provence are in direct conflict with those of the Raimondines, and that along the Stephanese controversy, if I remember correctly, sparked what could become this TL's hundred years war between the Capetians and the Welfs.

As far as I know, the Aragonese did not have any claim over Languedoc. The claim over Toulouse has been, for the time being ITTL, settled in favor of the House of Poitiers as Dukes of Aquitaine, while Raimondines survive in Septimania (or Lower Languedoc as it may be called, albeit in company of the House of Trancavel). The only lands north of the Pyrenees the Aragonese control, that is only if the House of Barcelona ascends to the Aragonese throne as per OTL, would be Roussillon and Provence.
While they intervened in support of the Counts of Toulouse during the OTL Albigensian crusades, ITTL they probably won't, because their claims in Provence are in direct conflict with those of the Raimondines, and that along the Stephanese controversy, if I remember correctly, sparked what could become this TL's hundred years war between the Capetians and the Welfs.
tbf something like the languedoc breaking off with crusader help (prob with a duke who disliked the french king and wanted independence) with syrian and maybe aragonese help would work. Then, the Aragonese get in a personal union with Provence and it'd work.

tbf something like the languedoc breaking off with crusader help (prob with a duke who disliked the french king and wanted independence) with syrian and maybe aragonese help would work. Then, the Aragonese get in a personal union with Provence and it'd work.
How would that be? What I said is that Languedoc is anything but united politically and Barcelona Aragón does not the faintest basis for a claim, even by this era standards.
Besides, Occitania or Languedoc may designate a linguistical area, but at this point in time, there was no real sense of identity that would be paramount to nationhood. Aside of nobles, soldiers and merchants, most people lived and died on the same land they were born on and never traveled beyond the confines of their village or town.
That leaves only political/feudal allegiances. So, who to rebel? The dukes of Aquitaine ? Their domain span the Atlantic coast from the Loire to the Pyrénées foothills. They are not defined by a single cultural or linguistical identity as you go from Languedoil lands in the Loire valley to Gascon and Basque speaking lordships in the south to occitan Toulouse. Only the Counts of Toulouse could have pretended to enforce a semblance of Occitan common identity, but this TL had Languedoc ripped apart at Aquitaine's advantage.

Last edited:
How would that be? What I said is that Languedoc is anything but united politically and Barcelona Aragón does not the faintest basis for a claim, even by this era standards.
Besides, Occitania or Languedoc may designate a linguistical area, but at this point in time, there was no real sense of identity that would be paramount to nationhood. Aside of nobles, soldiers and merchants, most people lived and died on the same land they were born on and never traveled beyond the confines of their village or town.
That leaves only political/feudal allegiances. So, who to rebel? The dukes of Aquitaine ? Their domain span the Atlantic coast from the Loire to the Pyrénées foothills. They are not defined by a single cultural or linguistical identity as you go from Languedoil lands in the Loire valley to Gascon and Basque speaking lordships in the south to occitan Toulouse. Only the Counts of Toulouse could have pretended to enforce a semblance of Occitan common identity, but this TL had Languedoc ripped apart at Aquitaine's advantage.
basically I'm saying that the languedoc and toulose rulers want greater independence and fight the french for their own independence, not for any nationalistic reasons. then have them and aragon be under a personal union due to some unfortunate deaths.

you'd need a bit of luck for all of it to happen but isn't all history like that?