Regarding the potential array of Crusader activities pertaining to pre-Christian Egyptian artifacts: I reckon some destruction is possible (really inevitable, as I am sure not everything from the Middle Ages OTL made it to the present), but given that the artifacts survived some fairly zealous periods of Abrahamic rule OTL (multiple sphinxes, including the Great Sphinx itself, were defaced and/or desecrated in part over the span of the 14th century) I do not think they are liable to be subject to an above-average rate of destruction or defacement by the newcomers.
"We found a large number of books in these characters and, as they contained nothing in which were not to be seen as superstition and lies of the devil, we burned them all, which they (the Maya) regretted to an amazing degree, and which caused them much affliction." Friar Diego de Landa, burning Mayan books.
I think this line of thought is where the idea is coming from, and while it has basis in general, there is a very important distinction between the literature of the Maya (or Donar's Oak, or other pagan artifacts destroyed by Christians) and the relics of pre-Christian Egypt in that the former are reflective of active and extant pagan societies, while the latter are from what is effectively an extinct progenitor culture. Taking the former examples, direct enmity existed between Christians and non-Abrahamic societies which could reasonably facilitate acts of culturcide directed at material forms of religious expression. Burning Mayan literature would reasonably help to destroy means of pagan worship and assist the process of subjugating the Maya under colonial rule, cutting down the Donar's Oak destroyed an important holy site for what were at the time one of the most active threats to European Christian polities, etc.

Destroying Ancient Egyptian artifacts serves no such purpose, with writing being unintelligible to even the Copts and thus neither identifiable nor usable as heathen religious screed and the religious use of large statues and temples defunct for nearly a millennium by this time. Further supporting this lack of systemic destructive impetus is the retention of similar artifacts of pagan cultures across many areas ruled and populated by Christians, including the standing stones in Britain and Scandinavia, Graeco-Roman sites across the Mediterranean, and indeed Egypt itself under Byzantine rule.

Last edited:
I find it likely that the Rosetta Stone, were it found at this point, would be either ignored as a curio or used as building material, hopefully not broken up and possibly arranged so that the strange writings are visible as a decorative element.

I find it likely that the Rosetta Stone, were it found at this point, would be either ignored as a curio or used as building material, hopefully not broken up and possibly arranged so that the strange writings are visible as a decorative element.
I'm not certain, do you mean OTL or ITTL 'at this point'?
At any rate, I believe it would be kept at least as a curio/decorative thing.

Should note the Rosetta stone isn't the only multilingual Egyptian inscription. If this particular decree was broken up, some other would've been found at some point - maybe faster, maybe slower.

Scholars of ancient greek may have been rare but still were a consistent presence in the Mediterannean world, and once one of them with a passing interest in Egypt sees them, they can start studying.

I'm not certain, do you mean OTL or ITTL 'at this point'?
At the point the timeline is at, of course.

I am basing my assumptions largely on how Roman artefacts were treated in Italy at this time - little outright malicious destruction, but a fair bit of rather careless 'this'll do nicely as building material'.

Excepting the expulsion of the Jews in England and some other countries, we don't have other contemporary examples of coerced removal of minority populations in this period, so I believe that this should not be the norm.
The bolded part in addition to the behavior of the First Crusade toward those they perceived as “Mohammedan” as it traveled through Eastern Europe, especially the Rhomaion parts of it, have me skeptical about whether the Moriscos and Muslims would not be expelled. More so when we realize that the Reconquista has been ongoing for centuries and has created a no-man’s land between the Christian and Muslim parts of Iberia in which next to no one lived.

I think the expulsion of the Moriscos becomes inevitable once the Reconquista is finished; the Convivencia was in part a product of foreign policy, avoiding the creation of a potential fifth column. In much of Spain, Jews and Muslims also provide a source of seizable capital for the growing crown of the Early Modern Era, and the religiosity engendered by the final completion of the Reconquista cannot be understated.

That being said, the length of time in which Muslims are tolerated could be longer if the conquest is completed earlier -- Portugal, after all, had centuries between the end of their campaigns of expansion and the Spanish-backed imposition of the Inquisition. However, the lure of capital acquisition through expulsion will continue to be great, and Muslims will be distrusted as perceived proxies for North Africa, the natural theater of Iberian warfare after the end of the Reconquista. On the domestic front, conversion can only help bind the new landowners in conquered Andalusia to their people. If Spain is not united, I could see Aragon perhaps maintaining a longer period of tolerance -- Valencia's Muslim serfs and Girona's Jewish mercantile community are more important to Aragon than they were to a Castille-dominated Spain.

ITTL, I think these problems of foreign policy on the frontiers and the desire for cheap cash through expulsion and social unity through conversion will eventually prompt the Romans to expel their Muslims, although I suspect Turcopole conversion and migration have probably obviated the need for de jure expulsion in much of Central Anatolia.

Last edited:
I think the expulsion of the Moriscos becomes inevitable once the Reconquista is finished; the Convivencia was in part a product of foreign policy, avoiding the creation of a potential fifth column. In much of Spain, Jews and Muslims also provide a source of seizable capital for the growing crown of the Early Modern Era, and the religiosity engendered by the final completion of the Reconquista cannot be understated.

That being said, the length of time in which Muslims are tolerated could be longer if the conquest is completed earlier -- Portugal, after all, had centuries between the end of their campaigns of expansion and the Spanish-backed imposition of the Inquisition. However, the lure of capital acquisition through expulsion will continue to be great, and Muslims will be distrusted as perceived proxies for North Africa, the natural theater of Iberian warfare after the end of the Reconquista. On the domestic front, conversion can only help bind the new landowners in conquered Andalusia to their people. If Spain is not united, I could see Aragon perhaps maintaining a longer period of tolerance -- Valencia's Muslim serfs and Girona's Jewish mercantile community are more important to Aragon than they were to a Castille-dominated Spain.

ITTL, I think these problems of foreign policy on the frontiers and the desire for cheap cash through expulsion and social unity through conversion will eventually prompt the Romans to expel their Muslims, although I suspect Turcopole conversion and migration have probably obviated the need for de jure expulsion in much of Central Anatolia.
I wonder how a Crusader Egypt and Levant will deal with this. Either they wait long enough for the people to convert or they'll go too sudden and risk havoc.

I feel that the only problem with this is the fact that the foreign policy scene will be dominated with Iberia's (and likely various Crusader) campaigns in the Maghreb. They expel the Moriscos and the Jews...where are they gonna go, really? Especially should the Mediterranean become a Christian lake for the first time since the 7th Century.

I feel that the only problem with this is the fact that the foreign policy scene will be dominated with Iberia's (and likely various Crusader) campaigns in the Maghreb. They expel the Moriscos and the Jews...where are they gonna go, really? Especially should the Mediterranean become a Christian lake for the first time since the 7th Century.
I don’t know that Christian Morocco is necessarily in the cards even if Tunisia and eastwards is all Christian.* It’s a significant power in its own right and it would be fighting on its home turf, which OTL spelled disaster for Europeans trying to conquer it. I could see Morocco holding out for a few centuries at least, and an influx of Moriscos would only strengthen it.

*And that’s assuming it’s a completely successful conquest and not a slow-burning hotbed of rebellion out in the Sahara, where the Europeans can’t successfully solidify their control.

Just thought about Russia for a bit. Made me wonder something since ties between Kievan Rus and Rhomania are more different now. As soon as Mongol hold over Russia declines there's going to be different people/factions trying to unite Russia. I could see Kiev taking the role Moscow did. And maybe the Russians will get Rhomanian assistance this time. Of course Rhomania wants something in return like a dynastic union with them in charge.

I could see Russian leaders fleeing to Rhomania to escape Mongol rule and even using Rhomania as a base for operations to resist Mongol rule. And assuming if the Golden Horde exists I can definitely see Rhomania and the GH going head to head with each other.

During the OTL First Crusade the Seljuk Empire collapsed as rival factions fought for control for power. Since the Crusades went better and the Rhomanians got more land will the post-Seljuk collapse be a lot more different? Or will it run the course as it did more or less the same? Will the Khwarazmian Empire exist in this TL and does it try to make a bid to conquer Jerusalem?

Also is there a possibility that some Kurds will be Christianized to the point that they make a significant part of the Kurdish population? And what happens to the Yezidis?

Will the Rhomanians make a go for Cyrenaica too? And the day that the Kingdom of Naples forcibly assimilates its Greek Orthodox population could this give the Rhomanians the excuse they need to invade southern Italy?

Last edited:
The Khwarezmians don't have the force projection to invade Jerusalem IOTL or ITTL as they were. They only invaded the Levant as a result of the steppe nomadic horde that has been mentioned in these threads a million times over.