An Age of Miracles Continues: The Empire of Rhomania

Well that ended rather nicely for everyone involved, except Elisabeth.

Sadly, I don't think it will end well for Demetrios Sideros as the Germans are definitely going to intervene in Elisabeth's favor now and that has the makings for a very bloody war. I'm also under the impression that Maria of Agra will probably still rebel with the Eastern Armies to put one of her children on the throne. So either way I still think we will have a civil war, unless I'm completely wrong and she is perfectly fine with her children losing their rightful inheritance.

Isn't Odysseus head over heels in love with Maria? I'm not sure how mutual that feeling is, but at the very least she seemed very kind towards him. And Demetrios seems to be aware of Odysseus' affection and even suspects he wants to marry her. Maria marrying the Kaisar would be quite scandalous, but it could secure some support and security in the east once the Germans attack. It would also complicate things in terms of succession with Andreas' illegitimate children still being around, and now as step-children of the Kaisar and eventual Emperor.

Then there's also the moment Maria shared with Andreas before he died. Maybe he shared his wishes for succession with her. If he said he wants his close friend Odysseus and almost-brother to succeed him over his bastard sons, I'm not sure Maria will act against that. Unless of course he wanted one of his illegitimate kids on the throne, in which case she might rebel regardless of any friendship to Odysseus.

Isn't Odysseus head over heels in love with Maria? I'm not sure how mutual that feeling is, but at the very least she seemed very kind towards him. And Demetrios seems to be aware of Odysseus' affection and even suspects he wants to marry her. Maria marrying the Kaisar would be quite scandalous, but it could secure some support and security in the east once the Germans attack. It would also complicate things in terms of succession with Andreas' illegitimate children still being around, and now as step-children of the Kaisar and eventual Emperor.

Then there's also the moment Maria shared with Andreas before he died. Maybe he shared his wishes for succession with her. If he said he wants his close friend Odysseus and almost-brother to succeed him over his bastard sons, I'm not sure Maria will act against that. Unless of course he wanted one of his illegitimate kids on the throne, in which case she might rebel regardless of any friendship to Odysseus.

I do genuinely think that Andreas' memory may well lead to Odysseus swearing to adopt Andreas' children and name one of them Kaisar, thus guaranteeing them both protection and a line of succession. (Unless of course, Maria and Odysseus hook up and have a Purple Child, in which case.....)

I can't see Maria betraying Odysseus, because he was basically a brother to Andreas. That is a strong bond.

I do genuinely think that Andreas' memory may well lead to Odysseus swearing to adopt Andreas' children and name one of them Kaisar, thus guaranteeing them both protection and a line of succession. (Unless of course, Maria and Odysseus hook up and have a Purple Child, in which case.....)

I can't see Maria betraying Odysseus, because he was basically a brother to Andreas. That is a strong bond.
Perhaps the kids are adopted, and then a porphyrogennetos is born, to add tension.

Isn't the oldest bastard the son of some peasant mistress? Maria doesn't seem like the type to kill a child out of ambition for her own children. Story-wise it'll be quite a letdown to see the House of Timur rise only to last 2 Emperors before some adopted bastard-hybrid retakes the throne. And they're not that much younger than Odysseus anyway. I think the gap is less than 10 years? What are the chances they die first.

“That a young and beautiful woman was unable to persuade her husband, who was known to enjoy sowing oats, to screw her every now and then, says a lot about her, none of it complimentary.”
Savage
Awesome update Basileus. Poor Demetrios. He may be the only man in the running that doesn't want to be Emperor. Though I've gotta say he and Jahzara are a good couple, she's not someone to be messed with.
And the blood of Timur rises again. It's Ironic that the one to bring them back is the most Bureaucratic man in the most Bureaucratic Empire on earth (except maybe China). He's like Theodoros but instead of Money he's purely interested in Administration.

Speaking of the Germans, what's the state of their Empire look like now? As I recall they have a huge population but have less of an ability to exert their will over the parts they don't directly rule. I know they've brought the states much more under their thumb than OTL Hapsburgers, but how centralized are they?
Rome and her allies could've accepted Elizabeth if she ruled as a Roman (Hence why it wasn't her that hired the Bremen soldiers) but if Germany tries to force the issue, either for himself or Elizabeth, they'll never except. Serbia especially has recent memories of Latin oppression and are grateful to the Romans.

I'm skeptical about the prospects of a German invasion into Rhomania. The prospects of a German-Roman PU would be a nightmare situation for every country in Europe and the other German princes within the HRE, no one is going to support it.

The likelihood of a German ruling Rhomania is less likely than me winning a huge lottery every week so what could be a more realistic objective? Free Elisabeth and marry her to Odysseus? There's no territory to conquer since they don't share any borders.

What are the chances of Demetrios getting this tax reform pushed through before anything crazy happens?

How does one create a thread I had a idea for a TL where Alexander the great's empire and China divided the world then fought a massive world war 1/world war 2 dieselpunk combo war that without nukes turns downright apocalyptic.

How does one create a thread I had a idea for a TL where Alexander the great's empire and China divided the world then fought a massive world war 1/world war 2 dieselpunk combo war that without nukes turns downright apocalyptic.

In the top-right of each forum there's a red 'Post New Thread' button. Click that and you'll come to a page where you can enter a title and body text for a new thread. Your idea would probably go in the 'Before 1900' subforum (where we are now), the 'Writers' Forum' subforum if you intend it more as a narrative- or character-driven work, or in the 'Alien Space Bats' subforum if it involves anything supernatural, SF, or otherwise entirely eschews strict plausibility.

Just out of curiosity what is Demetrios' exact descent from Timur? We know he's the grandson of Timur II but IIRC Shah Rukh (Timur's TTL Grandson?) only had 2 sons, one who went on to rule China and Mahmud who was assassinated. My memory is hazy but I assume Demetrios would be descended from Mahmud?

Also, how rich is Demetrios? I don't think there's been someone with such a private portfolio of investments and holdings since Herakleios II.

Also, how rich is Demetrios? I don't think there's been someone with such a private portfolio of investments and holdings since Herakleios II.

I'm sure there have been plenty of Imperials and the Plethon-Medici richer than him, but he's done very well for himself given he's only a court official. Did he inherit much from his father after his death?

Also B444, what were Demetrios' thoughts on his father dying against the Ottomans? Perhaps some revenge is in order after he sorts out this German mess.

Also B444, what were Demetrios' thoughts on his father dying against the Ottomans? Perhaps some revenge is in order after he sorts out this German mess.

I'm not sure Demetrios is really the sentimental sort. Pointless revenge wars against Ottomans do not seem like acting in characher. On the other hand, knocking a rival down is a plausible strategic goal and he did buy Timur's sword, so who knows.

Anyway, I wonder how will the war start and who will be the combatants. It seems Elisabeth and Germans won't have any support in Rhomania proper, so Theodore will have to straight up invade untouched and undistracted Roman Empire to force Elisabeth's claim. That seems like a recipe for disastar.

Anyway, I wonder how will the war start and who will be the combatants. It seems Elisabeth and Germans won't have any support in Rhomania proper, so Theodore will have to straight up invade untouched and undistracted Roman Empire to force Elisabeth's claim. That seems like a recipe for disastar.

Maybe the Germans think they can take on Rhomania, the past 100 years have went very well for them, not so much for Rhomania. There’s also the matter they have the German Emperor’s sister and he technically should be the new Emperor by their worldview. They aren’t a naval power so the only recourse they have is an old fashion invasion, not taking any action would be an abject humiliation.

Arrix85

Donor
They aren’t a naval power so the only recourse they have is an old fashion invasion, not taking any action would be an abject humiliation.

you're right, but it's really difficult to fathom what a feasible objective may be... Punishing the Romans? Any appropriately sized invasion force will weaken Germany on other possible fronts.

you're right, but it's really difficult to fathom what a feasible objective may be... Punishing the Romans? Any appropriately sized invasion force will weaken Germany on other possible fronts.

Maybe have Hungary annex Serbia? Or just a massive indemnity and Elisabeth’s freedom? There’s no feasible path to the throne with Alexandros off the table.

Now that I think about Napoleon is probably going to begin his rise in this war, so there’s going to be a big naval battle, and that requires a naval foe, Spain throws in with the Germans?

Maybe have Hungary annex Serbia? Or just a massive indemnity and Elisabeth’s freedom? There’s no feasible path to the throne with Alexandros off the table.

Now that I think about Napoleon is probably going to begin his rise in this war, so there’s going to be a big naval battle, and that requires a naval foe, Spain throws in with the Germans?

The right question might be what he's going to be offering the Triunes to join the war on the German side.

I imagine that the Germans would be willing to invade Rhomania because they don't understand how they see inheritance and dynastic royalty. For whilst in Latin Europe they would see this as a horrifying usurpation of authority in the Rhoman Empire they view this as Sideros ridding the Empire of a barbarian with no true claim to power who could potentially ruin everything. So when the war starts I imagine that the HRE will believe they'd have internal help from the nobility and soilders horrified by this usurpation of the Divine right of Elizabeth instead of Siderios doing the proper thing. Reality will of course come and knock them for a loop by showing that the Romans don't give a shit about the "divine right of Kings" in the way Latin Europe does and then they will realize they just made it worse for Elizabeth's (or the HRE emperor for that matter) claim by invading and thus kicking in the ITTL intense anti-Latin paranoia to high gear, something they didn't even imagine happening. So the HRE would act like a bull in a china shop and when they realized their initial plan wouldn't work they are already embroiled in a major war and will likely bring in allies to help them.

Last edited:
I imagine that the Germans would be willing to invade Rhomania because they don't understand how they see inheritance and dynastic royalty. For whilst in Latin Europe they would see this as a horrifying usurpation of authority in the Rhoman Empire they view this as Sideros ridding the Empire of a barbarian with no true claim to power who could potentially ruin everything. So when the war starts I imagine that the HRE will believe they'd have internal help from the nobility and soilders horrified by this usurpation of the Divine right of Elizabeth instead of Siderios doing the proper thing. Reality will of course come and knock them for a loop by showing that the Romans don't give a shit about the "divine right of Kings" in the way Latin Europe does and then they will realize they just made it worse for Elizabeth's (or the HRE emperor for that matter) claim by invading and thus kicking in the ITTL intense anti-Latin paranoia to high gear, something they didn't even imagine happening. So the HRE would act like a bull in a china shop and when they realized their initial plan wouldn't work they are already embroiled in a major war and will likely bring in allies to help them.

I don't know about this, are the Latins REALLY that ignorant of the Roman attitudes? It isn't like they've been disconnected from each other. It seems like a stretch.

You'd be surprised what the right combination is self importance, indignation, perceived enemy weakness, support, and greed mostly can accomplish. A cocktail of self-assured success as it were.

Plus the fact those who do know the Roman court would see Demetrios as a bureaucrat and one who wouldnt know how to fight a war. "He's a bean-counter. A glorified taxman, with too many books".

This issue, I feel, will cut into the matter of the title of Emperor of The Romans once and for all.

Last edited: