An Age of Miracles Continues: The Empire of Rhomania

Even the Turkish Napoleon can lose a battle. However, the sheer size of the armies in the field probably mean that whoever wins, it will take heavy casualties.

I'm betting either in a Roman pyrrhic victory or a heavy Roman defeat, because that is Iskandar we are talking about, with a veteran army no less. Besides, the World War One is going to be a war for Roman Sucession, isn't? I'm also willing to bet that the Kaisar will not go away from the battlefield unscathed, and maybe Nineveh will be a factor for Roman weakness for the next few years.

A lot of veteran troops on Iskandar's side, but many of which have loot from past wars and are tired of war and ready to settle down. They may on the over cautious side. Iskander also has a lot of undisciplined troops who may make impulsive attacks, get repulsed then panic. The Romans seem to have a more cohesive force which should play to their strengths. I would not be surprised to see Iskandar dying trying to rally troops fleeing from the field.

Iskander is a great commander, but he's facing probably one of the greatest armies that's ever been assembled (up to this point). B444 has highlighted the disparity in quality in the Persian army, I reckon the Akoimetoi will crack the Azabs in the right flank. I just don't see Iskander being able to be everywhere at once and the Romans have talented commanders at all levels. It's going to be a brutal slugfest and there's no way the relatively inconsistent Persian army can stand against so much Guard Tagmata and regulars.
And besides if the Persians do win it swings the power balance even more to them while a Roman victory will make things more equal.

Also, any chance the Ethiopians have recovered and are planning to raid southern Persia with Oman?

This talk of the succession war has got me thinking. Rhomania isn't exactly the best place geographically to host a "world war"... How many sons does Emperor Manfred have? Him being sickly could be hereditary, maybe we are assuming the wrong "Romans" will have the succession war. The OTL world wars were for the most part German-centric after all and B444 loves red herrings.

I love this idea, it would be a great twist considering the long buildup for the War of Roman Succession. The succession of the HRE must already be in disarray from the Brother's War and would give Demetrios an incentive to intervene on behalf of his grandson and the Triunes to prevent such a thing from ever happening. The War of the Spanish Succession (though likely similar in name only) was globe spanning because many nations wanted to prevent the French from gaining the Spanish Crown and colonies. What could be a bigger threat to the Triple Monarchy than Roman allies starring them down from across the Rhine?

I suppose the real question is if Helena's "sacrifice" of her son, Andreas, to prevent a second Time of Troubles will have been for naught? Will the Sideroi let that happen?

No matter what B444 is planning, I'm sure it will be epic. Keep up the awesome work!

I suppose the real question is if Helena's "sacrifice" of her son, Andreas, to prevent a second Time of Troubles will have been for naught? Will the Sideroi let that happen?

Exactly what I was thinking. From a narrative perspective it doesn't make sense for the Empire to plunge into another succession by the sword. Personally I also think there's no chance in hell that Rhomania would ever accept a barbarian on the throne (no matter who their mother's ancestors were), on the other hand a Roman Prince would be much more acceptable to the thrones of other countries i.e. Russian, Arles, Prussia so there's already a precedent.

Last edited:
Exactly what I was thinking. From a narrative perspective it doesn't make sense for the Empire to plunge into another succession by the sword. Personally I also think there's chance in hell that Rhomania would ever accept a barbarian on the throne (no matter who their mother's ancestors were), on the other hand a Roman Prince would be much more acceptable to the thrones of other countries i.e. Russian, Arles, Prussia so there's already a precedent.

Based on the characterization so far, I'd say it's more likely that Demetrios Sideros would oppose any such attempt, particularly because of the promise he made to Helena/his grandmother. That's not the sort of oath anyone takes lightly, especially not our bookish hero. In such a scenario, I'd see him becoming more of the power behind the throne.

Although, he does keep getting promoted against his wishes and it would be hilarious and awesome if the Roman Empire eventually ended up with an Emperor Odysseus or an Empress Athena. Virgil would be spinning in his grave. I hope that's not where the story is going, for the sake of Rhomania stability, but it'd be pretty funny.

On a side note, what is the level of national identity in the HRE? Does anyone think of themselves as German or Holy Roman yet, instead of Bavarian, Saxon, or Bernese?

ImperatorAlexander: An important thing to note is that the quality of Ottoman troops overall has increased substantially; Iskandar is also a good organizer. The Shahsevan are another elite corps alongside the Janissaries and many of the troops now are Qizilbash which are full-time soldiers, replacing (although not completely) the Azabs which varied from very good to pretty poor. Iskandar also has a ton of veteran troops, units, and commanders which are good (including his eldest son, soon to be introduced).

Me, like red herrings? You must be confusing me with somebody else…(Looks innocent)

JohnSmith: I’m going to have to go with ‘no comment’ since I want to avoid spoilers.

HanEmpire: History doesn’t repeat itself, but it rhymes. Other than close locations, I don’t know of any significant similarity between the battles, although blow-by-blow information on Herakleios’ battles is unfortunately quite scarce.

I’ve seen it argued that the War of the Spanish Succession should’ve been called the First World War. It’s with that argument in mind that the War of the Roman Succession is called the First World War IOTL.

Catconqueror: That’s one argument Iskandar is making to those saying this isn’t the most auspicious date for Persians to be fighting Greek-speakers.

Vasilas: I would point out though that the bad times for the Byzantines after Nineveh had nothing to do with the battle. The Eternal War is itself (loosely) based on the Long Turkish War between the Ottomans and the Habsburgs.

Dominic: I will point out that considering my (lack of) mapmaking skills, the maps should be considered as guidelines rather than definitive. Getting precise borders is rather difficult. Checking back on the narrative as of now the Lotharingians have lost Burgundy proper and the Pas de Calais to the Triunes but still retain Franche-Comte and Lorraine although their ability to hold it without (German) Imperial support is highly questionable. At this point Lotharingia is very much a Benelux state.

Yeah, there’s quite a big gap between the first-rate powers and the next tier. The Triunes, HRE, and Rhomania (Russia was here before the Sundering) all have at least 17.5 million inhabitants. The largest second-tier powers are in the 5-7 million range (Castile-Portugal, Lombardy, Georgia).

Stark: Gabras isn’t a placeholder. He’s solidly competent, but not brilliant.

Aishio: Toledo’s still the capital of Castile and Lisbon the capital of Portugal. The two countries are still in personal union, not unified, although the connections between the two below the level of the monarch are quite strong.

Arrix85: I admit I haven’t been the most consistent and thorough on this area (from the Roman perspective it’s completely irrelevant). Plus the Triunes have been generally doing a two-steps-forward, one-step-back strategy so the regions have been trading hands fairly often.

I do realize that in 1612 I said the Triunes overran Burgundy which is rather odd considering that the Lotharingians ceded Burgundy to the Triunes in 1578. As a redact I’m going to say that the 1578 cession still happened and that in 1612 the Triunes overran Lorraine (and the Franche-Comte) but were forced to give them back after being defeated by the HRE.

Nurhaci: Currently I’m using Louis XIV France as an upper limit for the Empire’s capability; it’s more organized and efficient but fewer material (particularly population) resources.

Djacir: Yeah, a giant slug-fest like this is going to look much more like an Astara rather than a Ras al-Ayn or a Dojama.

Donald Reaver: Although lots of veterans means that Iskandar has a lot of good troops to corset the newbies, which is always a good way to radically boost the newbies’ effectiveness in battle.

Babyrage: Yup, Ethiopian-Omani forces are raiding the Gulf coast. They are at least on board with Demetrios’ program.

JackExpo: Thanks! I’ll try.

Throughout much of the HRE the people think of themselves as Bavarian/Saxon/Rhenish/whatever first but do think of themselves as German second. There’s more collective solidarity particularly whenever foreigners invade, a legacy of the Hungarian Wars and now the Triunes. The Bernese though think of themselves as a distinct group and whilst a member of the HRE de jure, they’re de facto an independent state.

Although lots of veterans means that Iskandar has a lot of good troops to corset the newbies, which is always a good way to radically boost the newbies’ effectiveness in battle.
On the flip side if the newbies get broken it could unnerve the veteran units and leave massive holes in the battle line. I guess the biggest advantage the Romans have is the School of War and a more developed officer corps.

How good is the Triune army, as a general rule? I know they're a weight class beneath the Romans and they lost to the HRE the last war they had, but my guess is that they're still a solid army.

It would depend I think if the newbie units have veteran units intermingled with them. Otherwise if they are seperate blocks will make a far less influence.

On the flip side if the newbies get broken it could unnerve the veteran units and leave massive holes in the battle line. I guess the biggest advantage the Romans have is the School of War and a more developed officer corps.
Nah, veterans won't be shaken when they see a bunch of green units rout. That's what they're supposed to do, after all.
Now if the veterans were routed and the newbies just happened to see it...

Last edited:
Dominic: I will point out that considering my (lack of) mapmaking skills, the maps should be considered as guidelines rather than definitive. Getting precise borders is rather difficult. Checking back on the narrative as of now the Lotharingians have lost Burgundy proper and the Pas de Calais to the Triunes but still retain Franche-Comte and Lorraine although their ability to hold it without (German) Imperial support is highly questionable. At this point Lotharingia is very much a Benelux state.

Very interesting, I'm curious how the linguistic boundary ends up looking. Lotharingia seems like a very juicy prize for either of its two big neighbours, though probably would be better as a buffer state.

IMO in the coming battle between Rome and the Ottomans the most likely outcome is a narrow victory for Iskander. There's no specific reason he should lose, but the Romans also seem to have better logistics (?). I doubt any territory will change hands, maybe just some minor adjustments, but I also suspect the battle will have major political ramifications. Dead heads of state? Quite possible.

ImperatorAlexander: An important thing to note is that the quality of Ottoman troops overall has increased substantially; Iskandar is also a good organizer. The Shahsevan are another elite corps alongside the Janissaries and many of the troops now are Qizilbash which are full-time soldiers, replacing (although not completely) the Azabs which varied from very good to pretty poor. Iskandar also has a ton of veteran troops, units, and commanders which are good (including his eldest son, soon to be introduced).

One issue I can foresee for the Ottomans is inter-formation cooperation. I doubt they have the same depth and frequency of war exercises and drills that the Romans have to foster inter-Tagmata cooperation. With such huge armies this could play a decisive role if communications start to break down when all hell breaks loose as the 2 armies clash.

General update: So I got back from vacation and was going to work some more on this but then the ac adapter on my laptop broke so now I can't charge it. Of course no one in town has the same kind so I ordered one online and it's scheduled to get here in...three weeks. Wonderful.

I can still write on my old laptop but since it doesn't have any antivirus on it anymore I'm not hooking it up to the Internet. In short until I get the new adapter (hoping it's the adapter and not computer connection that's the issue) I don't have any way of posting updates.

Bah, busted computers are the worst.
Do you keep your drafts and notes on the computer? I'm worried about it being lost if the computer goes.

I can still write on my old laptop but since it doesn't have any antivirus on it anymore I'm not hooking it up to the Internet. In short until I get the new adapter (hoping it's the adapter and not computer connection that's the issue) I don't have any way of posting updates.
Have you tried using Microsoft Security Essentials? It gets the job down and personally I've found that most antivirus softwares are little more than bloatware.