An Age of Miracles Continues: The Empire of Rhomania

I think the best chance for a native North American state with a chance of long term survival is a Apache or Navajo Empire based on the plains and the Colorado River Basin and/or a Comanche Empire on the Great Plains. The thing that would need to happen is if one or both could play the game Siam did in playing the other powers, Mexico, Arles, Triunes, Scandinavia, and possibly Japan and Russia, of each other and becoming buffer states. Personally I think an Apache/Navajo Empire has the best shot, especially if they absorb other North American natives as they get kicked out of the rest of the continent.
I tend to doubt the ability for any Plains Empire to survive against Mexican or Triune aggression because of their distinct vulnerability towards their major food source and way of life, which is the American Bison. I fully expect an aggressive and expansionist Mexico or Triune America to go full ham on Bison genocide once they become tired of the existence of these "barbarians" and discover that weakness. With no food and an overwhelming military advantage from their enemies, they'll be forced to capitulate, albeit not without a grueling fight against them.

A Puebloan Empire in the Southwest seems more likely to survive against Mexico or Triune America since they aren't as reliant on animal foodstuffs and can farm staples as part of their diet. Assuming Mexico and Triune America remain relatively equivalent rivals, it's possible that they can play off each other in order to survive, although I don't know how long that will last when their enemies are so hungry for land.

Cryostorm

Monthly Donor
Get the feeling that the Kingdom of France getting the additional land and money from these new conquests will piss off neglected Englishmen something fierce.
You mean they might feel a little peeved at spending of their blood and money for France to get bigger and to get even more domestic competition? Why ever would you think that.

Cryostorm

Monthly Donor
I don't think they can convert all of Island Asia to Orthodox Christianity, but I think the majority of them might be during the modern period.
In my opinion, I think the Heraklian Islands could be over 75%-90% Orthodox while Nusantara and other parts of Island Asia might be lower, with Hindus/Buddhists/Muslims making up for the rest of it. Roman Catholics or Bohmanists could also make up a minority as well.
I do think this is arguable, at least for any part under Rhoman administration. The current high Muslim demographics are a result of events and conditions during and after the current TL date after all and Rhoman missionary work seems to be much more like the OTL Muslim model than the Dutch Protestant model.

The biggest thing that would reduce it is the current fracturing of Island Asia and, most importantly, the prestige and success that Hindu states have had in this TL. It's the last that might see Hinduism not utterly disappear the way it did OTL.

I think the most interesting result of the Lotharingian-Triune war is that the English part of the Triunes "lost". Not only did they gain nothing from the peace treaty but all the "beyond the line" possessions have been transferred from Triune to Lotharingian control. So France got fabulously wealthy territories, the 2nd or 3rd most important port in Europe, and a ready made merchant marine; Lotharingia got all the East Indies trade despite losing spectacularly; England got....nothing.

The French got a massive increase in power to their kingdom despite only fighting 2 major battles; 1 of which they outnumbered their opponents 2:1; while England fought a tough war on the seas and got nothing to show for it. For the first time I can look at this and genuinely say "what was Henry II thinking". He has broken the balance that existed between the kingdoms and violated one of the central aspects of any personal union; that benefits must be distributed between kingdoms. There are going to be a lot of English nobles and businessmen wondering why they got into this war only to lose their near monopoly on overseas trade within the kingdoms and see a direct competitor to London be gifted to the France.

Going to echo the sentiments here. This war was a great victory for the United Kingdom’s, but a massive loss for the Kingdom of England.

And won’t this naval rebalancing also affected Ireland too? They don’t have much to offer anyway so now it’s really the Kingdom of France + 2.

Strongly recommending re-reading the Triple Monarchy Update.

Looks like Antwerp is going to replace London in the commercial engine of the Triunes, especially as they'll have no tolls as part of the Kingdom of France.

Understand that it's easier administratively but Henry really should have set up his new conquests as a seperate Grand Duchy or something. Soon the other 2 Kingdoms will be glorified dead weight, especially as the true economic impacts of these conquests plus the little ice age fully take effect. England particularly is going to be very impoverished, especially if all the Merchants relocate to Antwerp.

I definitely think we're seeing the portents for the Triunes blowing itself apart in some sort of civil war, since I don't think the English nobility will forget that they fought this war for essentially nothing, and are in fact punished for it as trade is inevitably going to flow towards Antwerp and away from London or other key territories in England. I see this will become especially notable in Northhumbria as they are going to be even more impoverished than previous years since the Triune economy is more concentrated in the coast of France and Lotharingia. The English people and Parliament won't be especially happy about this and it takes a skilled statesman to manage the interests of all parties in this personal union.

Luckily Henri II is that kind of person, so I don't think a crisis will happen in the aftermath of the war with the Lotharingians, more like grumbling from the English nobility and the people as Henri will inevitably find some kind of concession that assuages their wrath. However, he is neither perfect nor immortal, and it's only a matter of time where a less capable successor can't maintain the delicate tightrope needed to manage an empire that is both massive and extremely divided.

I definitely think we're seeing the portents for the Triunes blowing itself apart in some sort of civil war, since I don't think the English nobility will forget that they fought this war for essentially nothing, and are in fact punished for it as trade is inevitably going to flow towards Antwerp and away from London or other key territories in England. I see this will become especially notable in Northhumbria as they are going to be even more impoverished than previous years since the Triune economy is more concentrated in the coast of France and Lotharingia. The English people and Parliament won't be especially happy about this and it takes a skilled statesman to manage the interests of all parties in this personal union.

Luckily Henri II is that kind of person, so I don't think a crisis will happen in the aftermath of the war with the Lotharingians, more like grumbling from the English nobility and the people as Henri will inevitably find some kind of concession that assuages their wrath. However, he is neither perfect nor immortal, and it's only a matter of time where a less capable successor can't maintain the delicate tightrope needed to manage an empire that is both massive and extremely divided.
Will the Lothariginians take advantage of this? Especially if the Germans, Arles and Spain also pile on the civil war? Though the problem with the Germans is that it isn't as unified once the civil war tears down the old "false empire".

Bone-Breaker sons will probably join in the coalition to smash the faces of their father number one public enemy. Hehe house hohenzollern back to teach the French bastards their place with a good old 200% discipline (if you get the meaning). Speaking of them I hope they succeed greatly as the Dukes of Brandenburg.

Cryostorm

Monthly Donor
Let's also not forget that it looks like Henri is about to put his hand into chaotic meat grinder of Germany to secure the right bank of the Rhine. Something tells me that this might not go as well as he hopes and might become one more seed of the Triune's time of troubles.

Let's also not forget that it looks like Henri is about to put his hand into chaotic meat grinder of Germany to secure the right bank of the Rhine. Something tells me that this might not go as well as he hopes and might become one more seed of the Triune's time of troubles.
I won't lie, I'm all for a time of troubles that leaves Northern France in the same diplomatic situation as N.Italy. Having no "France" would be great. Especially as it would benefit the Accord even if they don't join.

I won't lie, I'm all for a time of troubles that leaves Northern France in the same diplomatic situation as N.Italy. Having no "France" would be great. Especially as it would benefit the Accord even if they don't join.
We'll see about that, the accord members have always been more hesitant against the Triune, being the bit** that they are when arrayed against their more dangerous "close neighbour".

Time will tell if they have the "balls" to finally stand the f*** up and get their **** together. It's in Arles best interest to really hammer the Triunes at their weakest point so that they can finally have a more "advantageous" position in aspects of both geopolitical situation and their identity as a different nation. They ought to use that opening to solidify their identity.

We'll see about that, the accord members have always been more hesitant against the Triune, being the bit** that they are when arrayed against their more dangerous "close neighbour".

Time will tell if they have the "balls" to finally stand the f*** up and get their **** together. It's in Arles best interest to really hammer the Triunes at their weakest point so that they can finally have a more "advantageous" position in aspects of both geopolitical situation and their identity as a different nation. They ought to use that opening to solidify their identity.
Whatever happens, I doubt the Romans will help their "dear friend" Arles. I would expect that any successful Triune civil war will result in a more federal system.

Lotharingia is basically the Netherlands at this point with a similar focus on Island Asia and importing Eastern wares to Europe as OTL. I believe it will be able to punch above its weight as Bohmanism makes inroads and it chooses to go tall before eventually becoming a buffer state between Germany/The Triunes or a player in its own right.

Also, I can only imagine what kind of internal crisis the Catholic church is now. The Eternal City gone, pope executed, Antipope holding sway over half of your flock, heretics to the east, south and west. Much of its authority has been lost and I foresee it becoming an apparatus of the Holy Roman Emperor and taking on a distinct German character. Is the new pope Clement a German bishop? Upcoming Johann Eck and Zimmermann not forgotten too. All in all ripe grounds for Bohmanism and other heresies to take root.

Romans acting functionally as Triune allies
After abandoning Island Asia and thus having fewer points of contention, the Triunes and Romans have become that couple who everyone thinks should get together already but still haven't.

Last edited:
Whatever happens, I doubt the Romans will help their "dear friend" Arles.
If helping Arles helps Rhomania the Rhomans should do it. If helping Arles hurts Rhomania the Rhomans should not do it. Rhomania has no friends, only interests. The nature of diplomacy means the country who "screwed" you over yesterday is today's ally.

Rhomania being needlessly petty and vindictive is how the Triunes got this much this quickly in the first place. I would urge D3 and his family/advisors to not make that mistake again.

So far I doubt that Odysseus will make any moves towards direct intervention in any Triune conflict, mainly because he has his hands full with the Ottomans and Island Asia already, not to mention it would threaten the current status quo with Sicily if they are dragged into a war with the Spanish or Arletians, which is something he doesn't want to risk in my opinion. Roman neutrality in Western Europe seems to be the best option as of now, although that could certainly change.

However, if there's any nation that the Romans want to support, it'd probably be the Triunes. As much as Triune competition in Nusantara or India might present a problem for Roman interests, so would an expansion of power with the Spanish and the Arletians if the United Kingdom balkanizes. The Triple Monarchy isn't actively intruding on Rhomania's sphere of influence in Island Asia either, while Spain and Arles are, so it seems natural that Rhomania will align with the Triunes, either indirectly or as an ally.

If helping Arles helps Rhomania the Rhomans should do it. If helping Arles hurts Rhomania the Rhomans should not do it. Rhomania has no friends, only interests. The nature of diplomacy means the country who "screwed" you over yesterday is today's ally.

Rhomania being needlessly petty and vindictive is how the Triunes got this much this quickly in the first place. I would urge D3 and his family/advisors to not make that mistake again.
I doubt they will. I agree with Denlimer that Rhomania is just too busy. Why wage war for some Latins when the Ottomans and the East call? From a geopolitics standpoint, keeping the Triunes strong keeps the Spanish and Arletians honest.

I doubt they will. I agree with Denlimer that Rhomania is just too busy. Why wage war for some Latins when the Ottomans and the East call? From a geopolitics standpoint, keeping the Triunes strong keeps the Spanish and Arletians honest.
Why help the Triunes or the accord? Let them drown in blood and iron, they want to wage against the Triunes? Well goodluck with that western europe. Romans should stay out of it and make the accord re-negotiate the terms of paying the "upkeep" in Italy. The Romans should take a little advantage of that war. No big land grabs just some diplomatic coup to strengthen their western defence.

Why help the Triunes or the accord? Let them drown in blood and iron, they want to wage against the Triunes? Well goodluck with that western europe. Romans should stay out of it and make the accord re-negotiate the terms of paying the "upkeep" in Italy. The Romans should take a little advantage of that war. No big land grabs just some diplomatic coup to strengthen their western defence.
I'm thinking keeping the status quo is just going to be nice. No point giving the accord members any reason to hate Rhomania.

Is Sicily interested in anything in the West in a Triune war? It's one way to force concessions if the Sicilians mess up enough.

I'm thinking keeping the status quo is just going to be nice. No point giving the accord members any reason to hate Rhomania.

Is Sicily interested in anything in the West in a Triune war? It's one way to force concessions if the Sicilians mess up enough.
I'm saying a renegotiation of some of the terms in status quo so that the Romans can free up some of those upkeep to really hammer the Ottomans.

Nothing that will endanger the status quo in Italy, just enough little changes that can bring more benefit to their side. If the latins can come and make demands the same can be said to both Rome and Sicily. They can help provide more naval raids against the Marinids to really "help" the accord to muscle their strength against the Triunes on the north.

Plus it keeps Sicily happy and central Mediterranean safer.

Yeah, I won't lie, as much as I'd back the Accord vs Triunes, simply to ensure that the balance of power firmly leaves the Romans on top, non-intervention and ways to garner goodwill would be the savvy play. With work to secure the Western Med against pirates, it could be worth it simply to allow the Romans and Carthage to creep along the coast, taking and seized ports. Especially since in an anti-Triune war, just keeping the Med safe would be a huge advantage to the anti-Triune participants. Win-Win for the Romans