An Age of Miracles Continues: The Empire of Rhomania

I'm surprised that Demetrios isn't too concerned about Japanese pretensions of Imperial equality, especially given that the Japanese Emperor has studied in Constantinople. Wouldn't the Romans for the sake of prestige address them as Great King? Or does the geographical distance prevent any Roman control over this issue?

I feel like Iksander is starting to turn into a Gary Stu, even Andreas Niketas hasn't defeated so many powerful foes. IMO Romans + Georgia + Cossacks + Northern India > Crusaders + Venice + Hungary + Mamelukes. Hopefully the Ottomans have Time of Troubles of their own to balance things out.

I'm surprised that Demetrios isn't too concerned about Japanese pretensions of Imperial equality, especially given that the Japanese Emperor has studied in Constantinople. Wouldn't the Romans for the sake of prestige address them as Great King? Or does the geographical distance prevent any Roman control over this issue?
Why should he? It's on the other side of the globe. Words are free. I forgot, if it happened ITTL like in OTL, but didn't Genghis Han wiped out the Khwarzamians because of an insult? A bit of politeness may bring good relations for cheap. The problem with local 'Emperors' is that they styled themselves Roman Emperors (or thereabouts). Japan is going to be a friendly, Orthodox country, who will look up to Constantinopole, on the other side of the globe (little to no conflictual interests), and a safe port for Roman ships. There isn't any reason to work themselves up about it.

I had hoped that Demetrios would have learnt his lesson with overextending. Is his goal to simply wreck Hungary or carve it up?
Just some questions about a possible German intervention. Friedrich's resources should be stretched just as thin as Rhomania's, IRC he borrowed a huge sum of money from Roman bankers to help with his Civil war, how dried up is his money supply? Are the Triune backing Karl? I would imagine that they'll be very happy if the German's decide to intervene in Hungary, there is no way Friedrich can sustain a three way war between the UK, Rhomania and his brother. By the way, are the Scandinavians looking to take a bite out of Germany while they're vulnerable?

Last edited:
I won't lie, the concept of the Japanese Orthodox Empire tickles me. Bravo! I wonder if this might lead to knowledge of the New World reaching them, alongside the deep water craft needed to attempt the journey. Having an Orthodox Japan with colonies in California would be an interesting contrast to the non-Orthodox East Americas.

Although, wow - that is a vast push by the Romans and Italians - and adding a land border to boot! So much for a meaningful buffer state - a Roman Balkans (well, Roman Italian and Serbian) would be a great consolation prize after losing to the Ottomans. Who are doing insaaaanely well. I mean, christ - beating armies 5-to-1 even against Elephants is one hell of a feat. If Iskandar is building up enemies and rivals that aren't a threat to him, but don't make a move, his heir is going to have huge, threatened shoes to fill. I won't lie, I'd find it poetic if Iskandar loses his heir and then dies in a war with India - the unraveling would be well, magnificent. You could even call it "Alexandrian" :D

How advanced is China in terms of technology? Demographically and economically they're doing worse that OTL since the Qing conquest was quick and painless compared to what we have here. Territory wise how much do the Zeng control? To me the borders look pretty sim liar to the Song Dynasty, maybe slightly less. Would a reduced and ravaged territorial base push China to innovate more?

It'll be interesting to see how they deal with this new imperialist Japanese Empire looming on their flank. They'll be wanting to spread the true faith all through Asia.

How advanced is China in terms of technology? Demographically and economically they're doing worse that OTL since the Qing conquest was quick and painless compared to what we have here. Territory wise how much do the Zeng control? To me the borders look pretty sim liar to the Song Dynasty, maybe slightly less. Would a reduced and ravaged territorial base push China to innovate more?

A ravaged territorial base may well lead China to consider the idea of the Divine Mandate violated.

It'll be interesting to see how they deal with this new imperialist Japanese Empire looming on their flank. They'll be wanting to spread the true faith all through Asia.

I'm curious as to why you say Imperialist - they have an Emperor, but it is still just a Japan with a different faith. (Unless I've missed some overt Imperialism).

Although, combining that with China - if the Chinese people can believe the Mandate of Heaven has been lost - if you read into the idea that the Roman Empire is now the Empire of the Setting Sun, rather than China, you could read that as Orthodox Japan not considering any Chinese leadership of China legit. (Super reading into it, but run with me a sec).

So if Japan no longer recognises China as the Empire of the Setting Sun, compared to their Empire of the Rising Sun - could Japan, going full Imperialist make a move to invade China? If China has further instability issues then a strong assertive Japan establishing Orthodox Daiymo in China is a really weird, but fun idea.

I don't think Japan has a cultural or philosophical problems with putting waraji on the ground in China, be it for conquest or spreading the the word of God by words or steel - it has logistical and numerical problems. That was the main reason for their Korean Campaign IOTL, to amass cannon fodder and establish a secure foothold to serve for further campaigns against China.

I don't think Japan has a cultural or philosophical problems with putting waraji on the ground in China, be it for conquest or spreading the the word of God by words or steel - it has logistical and numerical problems. That was the main reason for their Korean Campaign IOTL, to amass cannon fodder and establish a secure foothold to serve for further campaigns against China.

I guess this is where the Rum Peranakans and Malays come in?

Although, combining that with China - if the Chinese people can believe the Mandate of Heaven has been lost - if you read into the idea that the Roman Empire is now the Empire of the Setting Sun, rather than China, you could read that as Orthodox Japan not considering any Chinese leadership of China legit. (Super reading into it, but run with me a sec).

So if Japan no longer recognises China as the Empire of the Setting Sun, compared to their Empire of the Rising Sun - could Japan, going full Imperialist make a move to invade China? If China has further instability issues then a strong assertive Japan establishing Orthodox Daiymo in China is a really weird, but fun idea.

Hm.

I wonder if Tieh Islam put down any roots.

I guess this is where the Rum Peranakans and Malays come in?
The best strategy for the Japanese would be to take ideas from William's Conquest of Saxon Britain. Wait for a Chinese Time of Trouble, be it an outside invasion, a civil war, or even extended peasant revolts and hit with all the manpower they can scrape, samurai, ronins, peasant-soldiers, foreign allies and mercenaries towards the end of it. They probably won't swallow the whole of China, but they will get both feet in the door. After that, if they keep on it and they don't let up, I'd say they have about even odds in 50 to 100 years to conquer the whole of China.

Hm.

I wonder if Tieh Islam put down any roots.
As a curiosity among the Intellectuals maybe, the Chinese culture is way too strong and entrenched for a foreign religion to make much headway. If there are any large numbers of commoner Muslims in China now, I'd imagine that it'd be a Muslim equivalent of the Taiping (without the rogue theocratic state ofc).

Part of me is sad to see the (supposedly) unbroken Imperial line get cut off, but on the other hand, the guy who led the Shimazu Devils OTL becoming the Holy Japanese Emperor is too good

Arrix85

Donor
I'll try to post a list of emperors by the end of the weekend (and the Komnenoi-Drakoi family tree too).

The ottoman expansion is downright scary.

The roman foray into Hungary reeks of something that will bite them in the future: while a german intervention doesn't seem plausible (the civil war is still ongoing), bad blood could emerge.

Japan's unification is good news for Rhomania, that is if somehow their eastern initiative picks up, if not it's hardly relevant (oh, great someone in this planet cheers for my sports' team, hooray! *groan*) and if receiving this news really had any influence about the war with Hungary, then Demetrios really is a religious nut.

Emperors of Rhomanion, since POD: (as best as I could do)

Theodoros II (1254-1282)
John IV (1282-1316)
Manuel II (1316-1324)
Anna I (1324-1381)
Andronikos II (1373-1376)
Konstantinos XI (1381-1401)
Theodoros III (1401-1403)
John V (1403-1410)
Thomas I (1410-1414)
Demetrios I (1414-1439)
Manuel III (1414-1431)
Theodoros IV (1414-1458)
Andreas I (1458-1517)
Herakleios II (1516-1518)
Nikephoros IV (1518-1528)
Alexios VI (1528)
Alexia I (1528-1537)
Ioannes VI (1537-1541)
Isaakios III (1541)
Stefanos I (1541-1543)
Alexios VII (1544)
Manuel IV (1544)
Giorgios I (1544-1547)
Andreas II (1547-1548)
Helena I (1548-currently)
Demetrios II (1587-currently)

The roman foray into Hungary reeks of something that will bite them in the future: while a german intervention doesn't seem plausible (the civil war is still ongoing), bad blood could emerge.
Letting the Hungarians getting away with attacking the Empire while it was fighting two enemies would be worse. Indirectly, they may be considered responsible with the Muslims regaining the Black Stone. Bad blood has already emerged - from the Imperial side.

Last edited:
Hungary may be facing a brutal war fought mainly on its territory if it gets support from Germany, leaving its land and people devastated.

I'm kind of worried for the Ottomans, for what is going to happen with the death of Iskander. That is a HUGE void of persona in power that will be left and I do not envy his heir. The kid would have to be Andreas incarnate to make it through the first hundred days. I smell trouble coming, while they won't collapse, too strong of state has been built, it will not be the monster it was. They could eventually lose northern mesopotamia for good in time, with it's depletions from the first round of the eternal war.

I'm kind of worried for the Ottomans, for what is going to happen with the death of Iskander. That is a HUGE void of persona in power that will be left and I do not envy his heir. The kid would have to be Andreas incarnate to make it through the first hundred days. I smell trouble coming, while they won't collapse, too strong of state has been built, it will not be the monster it was. They could eventually lose northern mesopotamia for good in time, with it's depletions from the first round of the eternal war.
Nah, Mesopotamia has a much too strong ties to proto-Turkish national identity at this point.
If the Ottoman realm is to lose periphery territories, they're much more likely to lose Transoxiana. It doesn't have the cultural & nationalistic ties that Mesopotamia and Persia does, nor does it have economic incentives to be held down by the central government like India does. It doesn't even have the religious significance that Arabia does.

Even after the hollowing of Mosul and ruining of the area in 1608? The rest of the Mesopotamia region I don't see leaving but the North was just scoured of people, infrastructure and wealth, on top of the Romans really liked using it as a defensive point for their string of forts.

Are there any odds of a buffer state between Rhomania and The Ottomans by a far off chance in the next round.of the Eternal War?

Even after the hollowing of Mosul and ruining of the area in 1608? The rest of the Mesopotamia region I don't see leaving but the North was just scoured of people, infrastructure and wealth, on top of the Romans really liked using it as a defensive point for their string of forts.

Are there any odds of a buffer state between Rhomania and The Ottomans by a far off chance in the next round.of the Eternal War?
It's still a culturally and militarily important region, being a predominantly Muslim Turkish area on the border of the Roman Empire. Keeping it strong and fortified against Roman invasions is crucial if the Ottomans want to keep the rich Mesopotamian plains safe. I expect the Ottomans to build lots of fortresses there.

As for a buffer state, Kurdistan is an option. The Kurds have been shown to be loyal to the Romans though, so they'd be pretty bad at being a buffer.