An Age of Miracles Continues: The Empire of Rhomania

Hey B444, just curious to know the numbers of warships the navies of Europe have. I know you said that the Dutch and Triunes have a larger merchant marine, but whom has the largest navy at this point?

Last edited:

Arrix85

Donor
A little short of time, I'll comment later on. A small nitpick: About Pisa you wrote the Ebro caused the silting of its harbor, it's the Arno. The former is in Catalonia.

Well, whoever wins the brothers war will inherit a war torn empire, as this cannot be short. Hungary may want to join Karl to bite off some disputed lands.

I wonder if the Barbary states will ever get a colony of their own.

Anyways, it seems the Lombards are always trying to bite off more than they can chew. They really should go for a more gradual expansion if possible. Which probably isn't the case.
I though they were doing that and almost all of italy panicked and allied florence :confused:

Probably not, they both don't seem too interested in colonization in the new world and have the fact that pretty much every great naval power barring the Triunes despise them beyond reason and would do everything in their power to shatter any kind of colonial attempt.
Truines and Barbery Pirates! Best Friends for Life! :p

He got ill and retreated before battle with Imperial fleet, it's all in the update.

Hm, so Sicilian fleet is crippled and a few of Roman regional squadrons are wiped out. That doesn't sound good for the security of western sea aproaches.

I wonder how long until they are all replaced? I guess Venetian and Imperial arsenal can replace ships pretty fast, but is there money and sailors to man them?

Also, do the Sicilians have an arsenal of their own? I seem to recall one being in Messina or somewhere.

So something like full muster of Sicialian army is 23,000 men? I expected a bit more honestly. They're the Tagmata-themata type, not full proffesionals like Imperial troops?
Must have accidentally skipped that sentence.:eek:

A pagan Vinland is impossible considering the POD, but various traditions derived from paganism still extant in Scandinavian Christianity is entirely probable although I would need suggestions.
The Bishop of Åbo, Mikael Agricola described the pagan gods and practices of the locals in the 16th century thus: http://www.sagazorm.net/zorm/mythology/epajumalat.html

http://aheathensday.com/2006/09/finnish-paganism-part-2.html (Describes some syncretic practices)

This also describes one syncretic ritual: http://i.imgur.com/I92Fbwn.png

For example, the Karelians continued the pagan harvest celebration, but merely identified the god of harvest and fertility with St. Urbanus (Fin. rendition: Köynnös) who got martyred under grapevines. Heathen Finns also believed the soul-bird brought the soul at birth and took it back at death, so they attached carved birds to their graves, both grobu-style and typical cross ones.

Sadly there's less information about Nordic pagan practices after the 13th century. I've heard of Norwegian pagans selling healing magic amulents, invented by the White God on the cross.

By the way, Kalevala ends in when Christianity comes to Finland, and the protagonist (pagan) hero fashions himself a ship out of copper and sails far far away to the West.

PS: If East-SA becomes muslim and West-SA becomes Christian (?), they can abandon "Deus Vult" and "Allahu Ackbar" as a battlecry in the favor of "East/West Side". :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Arrix85

Donor
True, true. Nice to see others having some trouble with that.

Sure the chaos is building up between the upcoming start of the Eternal War (it will be interesting to see how the transition goes from the current war to that), the barbary pirates stepping up big time, war in Italy (that's new :rolleyes:), civil war in Germany, unknown trouble in Russia, etc... Something awesome is coming (for us to read).

Interested to see how this German civil war will affect their eventual participation (I assume) in the eventual war of Roman Succession.
So currently Shah Iksander is leaning towards establishing more peaceful relations with his Western Christian neighbours if only they would stop laying waste to Muslim lands, we also know that the Eternal War will be Rhomania vs Persia. Would I be correct in asumming that something terrible happens to Iksander that would be the catalyst for long lasting negative relations between the two empires?

So currently Shah Iksander is leaning towards establishing more peaceful relations with his Western Christian neighbours if only they would stop laying waste to Muslim lands, we also know that the Eternal War will be Rhomania vs Persia. Would I be correct in asumming that something terrible happens to Iksander that would be the catalyst for long lasting negative relations between the two empires?

Isn't Eternal war this current war between Rome and Ottomans?

Arrix85

Donor
Isn't Eternal war this current war between Rome and Ottomans?

Looking back you should be right. I remembered that reference about a book published in 1604 (not there yet) and written during the "opening stages" of the eternal war, given that the current war has stepped up in 1601 and the book was 1000 pages long...

So if I'm wrong (and looks likely) I'm afraid the current roman victories will be mostly reversed (let's pray they keep Marsin and the territories ceded with the treaty of Van) since the OTL Long Turkish War was inconclusive at best.

Isn't Ottomans=Persia in this timeline? Afterall the ruler now calls himself Shahanshah.

Technically speaking you wouldn't call any state in Persia by the name Persia, or even Iran, until the Iranian Revolution. The state is named after the dynasty in Muslim tradition so you would refer to Persia as the Ottomans or the Ottoman Shahdom or the Ottoman Sultanate or whatever. Same logic behind Safavids, Qajars, Sasanian, etc.

Any potential anti-ottoman allies to the east, such as the Sukkuri?
On a slightly related topic, I know the Vijayanagara emperors have tended to oscillate between supporting the Romans and supporting the Portuguese. Who do they have better relations with at present? I'd imagine that the capture of the Kabah and the destruction of Mecca have earned the Romans serious credit among the enemies of Islam, even in distant India.

Darthfanta: Edits have been made based on your comments. Karl claims Friedrich’s election is invalid by marrying an Orthodox princess and has enough backing to ‘elect’ himself in his brother’s place.
/
Sicily is a respectable and well-organized and prosperous state, but its resources place it in the middle of the second-tier powers. Lombardy, Castile, and Georgia are good examples of top-level second-tier powers. The Roman Empire, Ottoman Empire, Holy Roman Empire, United Kingdoms, and the Great Kingdom of the Rus are the first-tier powers, as all of them have at least 12 million inhabitants whilst everybody else is at most 5 million.
/
Djacir: The Romans have forces operating in North Africa but the area is an extremely tough nut. Just look at the OTL Iberian expeditions.
/
Soverihn: The corsairs aren’t going to get a colony. They have no interests in that area and any established colony would immediately be a target for all of the other powers. Even the Triunes wouldn’t like it. The corsairs do a good job of distracting the Iberians and Arletians, but King’s Harbor doesn’t want extra competition in the Sunset Lands.
/
Calsidon: I agree wholeheartedly.
/
Stark: Ships and weaponry can be replaced quickly. The arsenals can churn those out and money is available, but trained manpower not so easy and fast to replace. Plus the army has priority.
/
Sicily has weapons manufactories plus a drydock in Messina but nothing comparable to the Imperial/Venetian arsenals. For a preindustrial society with about 3 million inhabitants, 23,000 troops (majority are theme-tagma) plus a moderate-sized navy seems a good size.
/
HanEmpire: Sicily can build fregatai and smaller galleons and probably three-deckers as well, but wouldn’t have the money and manpower to maintain the latter.
/
Alexandria Eschate: The Romans have about two hundred warships, although these vary from light galleys to Andreas Niketas and are spread from Sicily to Pyrgos. The Dutch and Triunes have at most half the number of hulls but these are all galleon/fregatai types and do not include heavy-armed merchantmen.
/
Arrix85: :eek: I is stupid. Fixed.
/
Sh3baproject: Hungary has some interesting prospects ahead of it. It can pitch into Germany, or resume the drive into Italy that it has been pursuing intermittently for the last 200 years, and the Romans look quite distracted.
/
Gianni rivera: Yeah, Germany’s had a very easy 1500s. The 1600s won’t be as kind.
/
Niklaus: Thanks for the information. I admit I very likely won’t go into much detail about Vinland. The Roman Empire is overall the focus of the TL even though it does take looks at many other places as well.
/
ImperatorAlexander: Iskandar is the odd man out in both the Roman and Ottoman Empires for wanting good relations between the two states and part of that is ‘India is shiny and not as well armed’. They’re two great powers that share a long common border who are divided by religion and already have a great deal of baggage with each other. Negative relations here are the default state.
/
Eternal War: Yes, this is the Eternal War, although that is a name that was obviously not around at the beginning of the conflict.
/
Frustrated Progressive: The Sukkuri are enraged over Mecca so they aren’t going to be Roman allies in the near future. The Vijayanagari though were ecstatic over what the Romans did to Mecca so that helped improve relations but the old issues are still extant. So Vijayanagari-Roman relations are better but not good.

Naturally, Rhomania's what we're here for. It's just that my area of expertize is just extremely narrow and Scandinavia-related. :D