An Age of Miracles Continues: The Empire of Rhomania

There was an apology during the war in Spain when the Spanish got the support of the Roman fleet against the north Africans. I think this was during or before the reign of Andreas Nikitas.

I think there was also an "apology" by the Tenth Crusade-launching Pope for the Black Day. I know he fined Venice heavily - then turned around and used that money to hire Condottieri to fight Rome. Yes, the apology (if it even existed, I could be remembering wrong) was fake as all hell but it did exist.

I think there was also an "apology" by the Tenth Crusade-launching Pope for the Black Day. I know he fined Venice heavily - then turned around and used that money to hire Condottieri to fight Rome. Yes, the apology (if it even existed, I could be remembering wrong) was fake as all hell but it did exist.
The Pope-in-Rome did do that yes. He only did it after the King of Aragon screwed over the Venetian reinforcement schedule via closing the Strait of Messina and threatening military action. Essentially no one outside the Pope and the Venetians liked the fact that an Empress got raped to death.

What right does modern Rhomania has to object to the formation of the EU? They may not like it but to use it as a pretext for a declaration of war would be a terrible move, condemned all over the world and paint them as a state mired in the past.

They may not like it but to use it as a pretext for a declaration of war would be a terrible move, condemned all over the world and paint them as a state mired in the past.
They seemingly know and don't care. Their unapologetic attitude certainly indicates so.

Cryostorm

Monthly Donor
What right does modern Rhomania has to object to the formation of the EU? They may not like it but to use it as a pretext for a declaration of war would be a terrible move, condemned all over the world and paint them as a state mired in the past.
Well they wouldn't have to go to war, just threaten sanctions or making things difficult. Besides this is similar to what China would say if for some reason Taiwan decided to be annexed to Japan or the US. Powerful nations can get away with a lot more than others. Another thing to point out is that the whole world would not be united in its backing, take modern Russia again, one could say the current actions in Ukraine are the same thing and while the majority of the West might have a similar view on it the rest of the world is a lot more varied in their reception. I am sure the current state(s) in the Maghreb and the Russian lands aren't going to be shedding tears over a lack of European unity, probably pile right on themselves.

If your nation is strong enough it doesn't have to care so much what the rest of the world condemns. Especially with historical backing this bloody and assuming that Roman diplomats aren't incompetent, Rome could count on a lot of the world not being willing to go to war with a superpower to protect Western Europe's right to get together and form a European Union. Especially if they have any interest in keeping a new superpower from forming that could meddle in their own affairs. The real EU hasn't, but depending on how far TTL's EU would take things that is more than enough population and economic potential to be a dominant power.

So because of that, it doesn't matter that the Romans have no right to interfere that way. They will because they have the army and the willpower to back it up, and likely no one else wants the Union badly enough to fight someone like that.

On the other hand, TTL's European Union might form because Rhomania is so powerful. If you've got a hostile superpower on your doorstep, you quickly learn to forget your differences with your other neighbors and come up with a unified plan for what to do if the worst happens. Look at NATO.

When the Hell did that happen? You people seem to remember the timeline in much greater detail than I.

Black Day of Smyrna. Where the mother and sister of Andreas Niketas were raped by Venetian soldiers in front of his eyes, and his mother was killed during the act. I think it was around the 1450s, not entirely sure though.

However, it's been years since those updates, so only natural to not remember everything. I did a re-read a few months back, otherwise I wouldn't recall many details either.

TLDR on the post about Rhomania rejecting the EU proposal. "No, screw you, we've done too much horrible shit to each other for us to do this, besides you expect us to apologize for what we've done to you but we get no apology for what you've done to us? Piss off you cunts."
Setting that aside, I'm wondering how and even if secularism could take off in Rhomania, I mean they still have quite an autocratic leader that's authority is based of it being apparently god given. Perhaps modern thought could spin it as the Emperor being the protector of the people or say that the emperor is a symbol of Rhomania, something like that.

Last edited:

Vince

Monthly Donor
TLDR on the post about Rhomania rejecting the EU proposal. "No, screw you, we've done too much horrible shit to each other for us to do this, besides you expect us to apologize for what we've done to you but we get no apology for what you've done to us? Piss off you cunts."

If this is almost 4 centuries later and Rome is still pissed about this than it would suggest Europe has tried to invade the Empire several more times since the War of Roman Succession. OTL the 18th and 19th centuries had the European powers change alliances quite frequently.