An Age of Miracles Continues: The Empire of Rhomania

Thanks.So where is the Empire going to get it's coal supply from in the meantime before relevant technologies are developed?

They wouldn't.

They would industrialize only when the technology exists to allow them to do so. Germany industrialized later than France which was later than Belgium which was later than Britain. Rhomania will do so likewise, industrializing when technology permits it to do so.

They wouldn't.

They would industrialize only when the technology exists to allow them to do so. Germany industrialized later than France which was later than Belgium which was later than Britain. Rhomania will do so likewise, industrializing when technology permits it to do so.
But how much later?Surely it won't be too late like Russia right?

Ah, seems rome has begun proto industiralation. Good for them :)

Im kinda hoping the steppe hordes destory the cossack host for good, but its not likely. At least they shall go down fighting.

Ah, seems rome has begun proto industiralation. Good for them :)

Im kinda hoping the steppe hordes destory the cossack host for good, but its not likely. At least they shall go down fighting.

What steppe hordes are you talking about? The were defeated by the Ottomans, and the only true hordes left near them are the white horde, and the Khanate of Sibir, both of which were neutral.

Arrix85

Donor
What steppe hordes are you talking about? The were defeated by the Ottomans, and the only true hordes left near them are the white horde, and the Khanate of Sibir, both of which were neutral.

I doubt they're neutral towards Russia, those settlers and adventures keeps on pushing on them. All russian expansion in Siberia was at their expense. No chance for them in the long run, but I bet they're enjoying russian current problems (whatever they are).

I doubt they're neutral towards Russia, those settlers and adventures keeps on pushing on them. All russian expansion in Siberia was at their expense. No chance for them in the long run, but I bet they're enjoying russian current problems (whatever they are).

Maybe not in general, but they are neutral in the current war. Apparently you're talking about general trends, not specifics.

One does not simply comprehend the awesomeness of this timeline,
I certainly can't :(. Basileus, you are too good of a writer for this forum, i think you should turn this into a Ebook:D.

That aside, I have a swagmazing amount of questions.

What are the populations of every major city in the world at this time (my def. of major for 1600 is over 25000, can be lower for northern and eastern Europe)?

Will the "roman" empire keep the Danubian frontier perminatly? I think there might be a Vlach majority of the population on the roman side of the lower Danube valley, after all, that's where they are probably from originally. And speaking of that, will Vlach have greek influence atl instead of slavic influence otl (and will it use the Latin alphabet, it IS a romance language after all)? And will cyrenia be majority Greek?

What will be the end culture of the Levant? (in this case from Antioch to gaza, obviously not including Antioch itself :)) Will it be alwite shia, Maronite christian, Greek, or sunni muslim, or a mixture of the previous? (if it is then can u give us the percentages?) And will it eventually be independent in the modern world?

Will Mesopotamia have an arabic, turkish, or persian culture? or a mix?
Do the andulasiy people in spain speak arabic or mosarabic (and does this also apply to otl Tunisia and tripolitania)? what will they end up speaking? (look at Malta, who's language is technically a form of mosarabic) Will the magreb stay a united country and will it have significant influence? (wealth, colonies, cities)

Will lower Egypt stay mostly Coptic? And will Cairo be part of it? Also, when will the Suez canal be a full canal? (i think its really small as of now)

What will happen to the otl russian far east? will it be part of a greater Chinese empire or part of ttl's Russia? Or will it be independent and have it's own Chinese influenced culture? I've always wanted to see a state based on the amur river valley.

Will japan stay balkanized perminatly? If it does not, what will its culture look like? will Sakhalin, the kuriles, Okinawas, or maybe even tiwan be japanese?

Will their be any Asian colonies in the new world?

Do the kalaka mongols (iotl buddist) become Muslim ittl?

Will the U.S. be in North or south america?

What will modern Dalmatia look like? With the duchies of split and ragusa still mostly dalmatian speaking, will they remain so to modern times or be absorbed into Croatia as in otl?

Will the kingdoms of aragon and arels unite? they are both mostly Occtian/Catalan speaking, even today, Catalan is about as different from the Occtian dialects as they are from each other. (so will there be Catalan colonies in the new world?)

Will Portugal re-absorb galica? the two langues both came from old galican and culturally they are more similar to each other than Spain (castile).

What will be castille's main port with Seville belonging to the andulasi?

Will dutch stay a separate identity from German?

Will their be a united Turkish culture (as in Kazakhs and uzbecks, not otl turks, and definatly not tajaks, nobody remembers that they are actually Iranians, not Turks:mad:)

Will Malaysia and Indonesia stay a united culture? and if they do, will it be Muslim or christian?

Who will colonize the majority of the Caribbean? (otl ex: English lesser Antilles, Spanish greater Antilles)

Will north america be balkanized?

Will Constantinople be the biggest city in the world in modern times? will it be the biggest in Europe? if it isn't the biggest city in the world, what is?

Whew that took a long ass time to type out. Feel free not to answer some of the questions if they are spoliers:D

Thanks and good bacon,
Swagster

To save Basileus some time, I'll try to answer these questions to the best of my knowledge(I've got too much time):

One does not simply comprehend the awesomeness of this timeline,
I certainly can't :(. Basileus, you are too good of a writer for this forum, i think you should turn this into a Ebook:D.

That aside, I have a swagmazing amount of questions.

What are the populations of every major city in the world at this time (my def. of major for 1600 is over 25000, can be lower for northern and eastern Europe)?
I'll leave this huge, huuuge question for Basileus since I don't know.

Will the "roman" empire keep the Danubian frontier perminatly? I think there might be a Vlach majority of the population on the roman side of the lower Danube valley, after all, that's where they are probably from originally. And speaking of that, will Vlach have greek influence atl instead of slavic influence otl (and will it use the Latin alphabet, it IS a romance language after all)? And will cyrenia be majority Greek?
The Empire will keep the Danubian frontier since the Vlachs are very friendly towards the Empire. They have strong Greek influence due to the large amount of trade being done with the Empire, as well as having lots of their intellectuals study in Imperial Universities. They will use Cyrillic alphabet as a result.

What will be the end culture of the Levant? (in this case from Antioch to gaza, obviously not including Antioch itself :)) Will it be alwite shia, Maronite christian, Greek, or sunni muslim, or a mixture of the previous? (if it is then can u give us the percentages?) And will it eventually be independent in the modern world?
The Levantine coast will be Orthodox/Greek-dominated, including Antioch. The minor religions will probably have strong regional followings since the Imperial government has instituted a program of special status for their adherents. They will likely remain part of the Empire since the dominant ethnic group is Greeks.

It will likely have a Turkish majority throughout, substantial Arabic influence around Basra, and a smattering of Persian culture around the eastern fringes.

Do the andulasiy people in spain speak arabic or mosarabic (and does this also apply to otl Tunisia and tripolitania)? what will they end up speaking? (look at Malta, who's language is technically a form of mosarabic) Will the magreb stay a united country and will it have significant influence? (wealth, colonies, cities)
They will speak Mozarabic, and no the Northern Africans will not speak the same language. They'll be speaking Maghrebi Arabic I reckon.
As for their political status I believe they'll be breaking up in the near future, given how shaky the Marinids have been.

Will lower Egypt stay mostly Coptic? And will Cairo be part of it? Also, when will the Suez canal be a full canal? (i think its really small as of now)
Lower Egypt will be dominated by the Copts, but Cairo will be the centre of the Nile German ethnic group. Suez Canal will be built as a full canal as soon as the technology comes around, which I suspect will be in the early 19th century or so.

What will happen to the otl russian far east? will it be part of a greater Chinese empire or part of ttl's Russia? Or will it be independent and have it's own Chinese influenced culture? I've always wanted to see a state based on the amur river valley.
It will be part of Russia, just like in OTL. There's very little to stop Russian expansion into the area.

Will japan stay balkanized perminatly? If it does not, what will its culture look like? will Sakhalin, the kuriles, Okinawas, or maybe even tiwan be japanese?
Basileus has stated in the past that he wants Japan to stay balkanized well into the 20th century, though I have no idea if this plan has changed or not. The fates of the islands mentioned are unknown.

Unlikely, though Basileus said he'd like to see Koreans becoming expansionistic, in a reverse of OTL.

I have no idea who the Kalaka Mongols are, and a Google Search has failed me. Can you provide more information?

US may not even exist ITTL.

What will modern Dalmatia look like? With the duchies of split and ragusa still mostly dalmatian speaking, will they remain so to modern times or be absorbed into Croatia as in otl?
They'll have spend centuries split apart from one another, with very different cultural hegemons influence each. I doubt they'd like being absorbed, especially since doing so would lose them a lot of their autonomy.

Will the kingdoms of aragon and arels unite? they are both mostly Occtian/Catalan speaking, even today, Catalan is about as different from the Occtian dialects as they are from each other. (so will there be Catalan colonies in the new world?)
That's what we've been hoping for, but Basileus has not given any hints as to their fate. If it does occur Catalans will come to the New World alongside the Occitans.

Will Portugal re-absorb galica? the two langues both came from old galican and culturally they are more similar to each other than Spain (castile).
They're both part of the same empire (in that multiple royal titles are under a single ruler) now, so that may indeed occur. I don't know enough about how the Castille-Portugal Union works internally to be sure though.

That'd be Lisbon.

Most definitely, yes.

Will their be a united Turkish culture (as in Kazakhs and uzbecks, not otl turks, and definatly not tajaks, nobody remembers that they are actually Iranians, not Turks:mad:)
Unknown, but seeing as they'll be crushed between the two juggernauts of Persia and Russia, it is unlikely.

Will Malaysia and Indonesia stay a united culture? and if they do, will it be Muslim or christian?
They definitely won't, since we're already seeing heavy cultural divides being created. The Romans are using a cultural assimilation policy, so lots of Malays of the peninsula will identify as Romans and speak Greek as their first languages.
As for the rest, they're going to stay Muslim since it'd give them strong cultural barrier against the Christian invaders (Romans, Portuguese, and more).

Who will colonize the majority of the Caribbean? (otl ex: English lesser Antilles, Spanish greater Antilles)
Arles has most of the Caribbean under their control. In contrast, the Triunes are focussing on OTL Thirteen Colonies, the Scandinavians are going for OTL Canada, the Spanish (Castille-Portugal) are going for Brazil, while the Andalusi are going for Guyana and northern Brazil.

Unknown at this juncture.

Will Constantinople be the biggest city in the world in modern times? will it be the biggest in Europe? if it isn't the biggest city in the world, what is?
It will likely remain the largest in Europe, especially once industrialization hits. Given that the Empire will industrialize before Vijayanagara and the Chinese do, Constantinople may indeed become the biggest city in the world by modernity.

Whew that took a long ass time to type out. Feel free not to answer some of the questions if they are spoliers:D

Thanks and good bacon,
Swagster

To save Basileus some time, I'll try to answer these questions to the best of my knowledge(I've got too much time):

I'll leave this huge, huuuge question for Basileus since I don't know.
yeah, probably for the best

The Empire will keep the Danubian frontier since the Vlachs are very friendly towards the Empire. They have strong Greek influence due to the large amount of trade being done with the Empire, as well as having lots of their intellectuals study in Imperial Universities. They will use Cyrillic alphabet as a result.
Wait, in that case, wouldn't the Vlach script be Greek? even though it looks like cyrillic its still its own script.

What will be the end culture of the Levant? (in this case from Antioch to gaza, obviously not including Antioch itself ) Will it be alwite shia, Maronite christian, Greek, or sunni muslim, or a mixture of the previous? (if it is then can u give us the percentages?) And will it eventually be independent in the modern world?
The Levantine coast will be Orthodox/Greek-dominated, including Antioch. The minor religions will probably have strong regional followings since the Imperial government has instituted a program of special status for their adherents. They will likely remain part of the Empire since the dominant ethnic group is Greeks.
Will there be enough Greek settlers to be a majority though?

It will likely have a Turkish majority throughout, substantial Arabic influence around Basra, and a smattering of Persian culture around the eastern fringes.
I don't think enough Turks migrated to become dominate in the north either though, but cultural assimilation could work in the long run, but definitely not in the south, too many Arabs around Basra.

They will speak Mozarabic, and no the Northern Africans will not speak the same language. They'll be speaking Maghrebi Arabic I reckon.
As for their political status I believe they'll be breaking up in the near future, given how shaky the Marinids have been.

When I say Tunisia and tripolitania i'm talking about the despotate of Carthage and the sparsely populated tripolitania region. ittl they are roman vassals, but "Carthage" (actually just a renamed Tunis) has had a lot of Genoan immigration in this time line if you don't know. So I think i'm justified wondering if that particular region will re-latinize (but still inherit a lot of Arabic words). The fact that tripolitania is so under-populated as of ttl means that the dominate language of "Carthage" will likely become dominate in tripolitania as well, possibly even cyrenea too. But I suspect that cyrenea will be reserved for Greek settlement only.

Lower Egypt will be dominated by the Copts, but Cairo will be the centre of the Nile German ethnic group. Suez Canal will be built as a full canal as soon as the technology comes around, which I suspect will be in the early 19th century or so.
*facepalm* I forgot about the Nile Germans:eek:. what do you think will be the modern population numbers for the Nile Germans and Copts?

It will be part of Russia, just like in OTL. There's very little to stop Russian expansion into the area.
Why would u think that? Even though Vladivostok is a super good port, it is much much closer to Korea and chine than it is to Russia. I would like a different scenario here then otl's, which was totally unfair for china. However if you thought I meant the whole far east i'm sorry to confuse you. I only meant the transamur

Basileus has stated in the past that he wants Japan to stay balkanized well into the 20th century, though I have no idea if this plan has changed or not. The fates of the islands mentioned are unknown.
I know that japan is going to be balkanized for a long time, but will it eventually reunite?

Unlikely, though Basileus said he'd like to see Koreans becoming expansionistic, in a reverse of OTL.
So if the Koreans become expansionist will they settle a small colony in the new world (i find this unlikely), or otl manchuria and the transamur?

I have no idea who the Kalaka Mongols are, and a Google Search has failed me. Can you provide more information?
I don't know how to spell Kalaka correctly:eek:, but I mean the mongols of the country of Mongolia today.

US may not even exist ITTL.
b444 has hinted in one of his foreshadowing updates that their will be a United states:p, but he said it wont be located where we think it is

They'll have spend centuries split apart from one another, with very different cultural hegemons influence each. I doubt they'd like being absorbed, especially since doing so would lose them a lot of their autonomy.
What I mean is that eventually the Dalmatian Latins got assimilated into south Slavic culture, but will this happen ttl? (SURVIVING RAGUSA FOR THE WIN!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D)

That's what we've been hoping for, but Basileus has not given any hints as to their fate. If it does occur Catalans will come to the New World alongside the Occitans.
Why has no one done a timeline on a united occtina of both sides of the Pyrenees? (SOMEONE MAKE ONE DAMNIT!:mad::mad::mad:)

They're both part of the same empire (in that multiple royal titles are under a single ruler) now, so that may indeed occur. I don't know enough about how the Castille-Portugal Union works internally to be sure though.
I forgot about that *facepalm* :eek:

That'd be Lisbon.
see above

Most definitely, yes.
this wasn't really a serious question, but i just thought it would be good to put it out there.

Will their be a united Turkish culture (as in Kazakhs and uzbecks, not otl turks, and definatly not tajaks, nobody remembers that they are actually Iranians, not Turks)
Unknown, but seeing as they'll be crushed between the two juggernauts of Persia and Russia, it is unlikely.
its an interesting premise though.

They definitely won't, since we're already seeing heavy cultural divides being created. The Romans are using a cultural assimilation policy, so lots of Malays of the peninsula will identify as Romans and speak Greek as their first languages.
As for the rest, they're going to stay Muslim since it'd give them strong cultural barrier against the Christian invaders (Romans, Portuguese, and more).

Islam is not as entrenched in Indonesia as of this point in history, so with a stronger colonial effort, will it become mostly christian? Then it would a lot like this Philippines do now.

Arles has most of the Caribbean under their control. In contrast, the Triunes are focussing on OTL Thirteen Colonies, the Scandinavians are going for OTL Canada, the Spanish (Castille-Portugal) are going for Brazil, while the Andalusi are going for Guyana and northern Brazil.
So will the Andalusi get the amazon basin while the Spanish get the Brazilian highlands, Patagonia, and the rio de la plata? Also, will otl 13 colonies be English, french, or Irish speaking? and how much of the Caribbean do the Arelains have under their control?

Unknown at this juncture.
If their are native states still remaining, and its proven that we will have a native mexico, then I think north america will definitely be balkanized

It will likely remain the largest in Europe, especially once industrialization hits. Given that the Empire will industrialize before Vijayanagara and the Chinese do, Constantinople may indeed become the biggest city in the world by modernity.
*puts on m. bison mask* YES!
YES!

Thanks and good bacon,
Swagster

Last edited:
BTW,what exactly is the situation in China again?IIRC,it's been completely balkanized right?
Nope, that was the original idea but then litterally everyone shot that idea down and instead China was conquered by Shah Rukh before he decided to take on the ERE and the Ottomans is Timur invasion 2.0 Electric boogaloo.

BTW,what exactly is the situation in China again?IIRC,it's been completely balkanized right?

It's divided in two, between the southern Zeng Dynasty (Chinese, possibly of the Canto variety) and the northern Tieh Dynasty (Sinicized Timurids).

@swag of the swag:
-I don't know much about the language situation. All I know is that Romanians used Cyrillic until around 1900, and that Moldovan language still uses Cyrillic.
-The Carthaginians speak their own language. "Carthaginian" is a mixture of Arabic, Genoese Italian, and Greek.
-Tripolitanians are autonomous vassals so they'd still speak Arabic.
-Turks will be majority in Mesopotamia, given that a Turkish Empire lived there for centuries.
-Eastern Siberia has very little that can oppose the Russian Empire. The Manchus and the expansionist Koreans will look to the more fertile southern Manchuria, which is also closer to economic/diplomatic/cultural hegemony of China.
-Basileus has said he wanted the Koreans to explore the Americas from the West, but failed to find a plausible reason for Koreans to even do so in the first place. Asian exploration of the Americas won't happen.
-The Mongols of Mongolia will stay Buddhist. They're too far away from Muslim lands to be strongly affected.
-Indonesians are doing very well in pushing the Europeans out of the main islands, though who knows how things will go there.

Last edited:
Where is the Tieh power base exactly? Their most recent mention was of a spirited Tieh guerrilla campaign in Sichuan, not exactly North China.

They're based in Beijing. Presumably there was some remnant Tieh authority left in Sichuan that didn't like the prospect of losing its authority to the Zeng upstarts.

Is it just me, or have the Romans managed to piss off both the Tieh and Zeng at the same time? Bad strategy.
I thought Zeng's mostly a trade partner,it's the Timurids that they raid against.As for pissing off the Chinese,they probably did cause some historical enmities with the Chinese--which eventually lead to the Pearl Harbor style attack in the future world war.The Romans are almost like the equivalent of Japan in this timeline in that they behaved like the Wakou.