Alternate Liberias

What were some other places besides the Pepper Coast that were considered to be the potential founding spot of Liberia to put emancipated slaves following the ACW? Not just Liberia, really any proposal to relocate former slaves by any country can be discussed here.

Last edited:
Haiti? There were some attempts to resettle African-Americans there and were somewhat successful, though this number stayed below 10,000.

Haiti? There were some attempts to resettle African-Americans there and were somewhat successful, though this number stayed below 10,000.
How could that have gone if it was more successful? I mean, it's nearby, so it's not hard to pay for transportation, and it's a newly independent, impoverished, relatively weak country. Haiti was home to only about 800,000 people in 1870. Even only a million freedmen moving to the island could have made "Amerigo-Haitians" the majority.

How could that have gone if it was more successful? I mean, it's nearby, so it's not hard to pay for transportation, and it's a newly independent, impoverished, relatively weak country. Haiti was home to only about 800,000 people in 1870. Even only a million freedmen moving to the island could have made "Amerigo-Haitians" the majority.
Jean-Pierre Boyer seems to have been the primary backer of African-American immigration to Haiti but I think you'd need something that makes Haiti more attractive to African-Americans in the first place. A more stable Haiti under either Toussaint or Dessalines might last longer, though I can see Boyer attempt to establish a Black majority in a united Hispaniola under Haitian rule with these immigrants.