Albion Rising: A Henry Frederick Timeline

Chapter 212: Virginia

Chapter 212: Virginia

May, 1624

“It’s too damned hot.” William Wode, member of the Colony Council complained tugging at his shirt.

“Rebecca says it’s going to get hotter.” John Rolfe, businessman and another member of the council replied. He didn’t mention that Rebecca had said that this was the hottest the colony had ever been.

“Lord Above.” Wode said, muttering something to himself.

“Well, enough of that.” Sir Francis Wyatt, Governor of the colony said. Wyatt had long flowing auburn hair and a dark beard. His eyes were sharp, and his tongue sharper. “We’ve received a report from the granaries.”

Archibald Stanton, the head of the granaries spoke then. “We’ve got a fair few tonnes of food. Enough to last us through the summer and into the autumn. Should the heat continue, we’re going to need to start planning for shortages come winter.”

“That’s not encouraging.” Wode grumbled.

John had to agree with the man, he knew the situation in Henricus was slightly better, but he didn’t want to have to start sharing food, not when Rebecca and the children would need it. “Still, it gives us something to start working toward over the next few months.” Wyatt said. “It also gives us reason explore further inland.”

John frowned. “You want to go further inland?”

Further inland was uncharted territory, even the Natives weren’t completely sure of what was and wasn’t safe there, and they’d been here for centuries.

“It’s risky, yes, but it also gives us an opportunity. We need to know what else lies within this land and for that we must explore.” Wyatt said.

“And who will serve as a guide?” John asked. He wasn’t sure whether the Natives would, they had odd customs and beliefs about such things.

“I’ve worked out an arrangement with the natives.” Wyatt said. “We’ll give them some land in what we discover in return for this.”

“So easily?” Wode grumbled.

“It’s the thing we need in return for their service.” Wyatt said.

“Next we’ll be giving the blacks land and a horse.” Wode muttered.

“Given they work harder than you, Wode, I think that would be fair.” John sniped.

It was true, Wode got fat off of income he had in Britain, all the while living a life of luxury here. It was infuriating.

Wode said nothing, probably because Wyatt was glaring right at him.

Instead, Wyatt replied. “We’re going to need to make sacrifices going forward. For the good of the colony.”

“Especially as the Crown seems intent on removing the Company from its governance.” Stanton said.

“What?!” Wode exclaimed.

John wasn’t quite as surprised as Wode, he had friends at court after all, but he did have to blink slightly. He had thought it would be a more gradual process, not a sudden one.

“Why would His Majesty do that?” Wode demanded.

“Because of corruption within the Virginia Company.” Wyatt said. “It seems that some of the members of the company have been making bids above their station.”

Wode opened his mouth and shut it and then opened it before shutting it again.

“What does this mean for the colony?” John asked.

“Right now? Very little, the governing structures will remain the same, as will how we get finance. But once the proposed review starts? We’re going to need to prove our worth.” Wyatt replied.

“Hence the journey inward.” John surmised.

“Exactly.” Wyatt said. “We’re going to need to show the King that we are worth every penny and that we can bring more people and justify it.”

“I could speak to my friends at court.” John said. “Get them to fight for us?” He knew Lord de la Warr would happily do that if it meant he continued to get a good price on tobacco.

Wyatt nodded. “Please do, we will need to get all the good impressions that we can get.”

“Surely dealing with the Spanish as they try and encroach would also help?” Wode asked.

“Naturally.” Wyatt replied. “But for the militia to be useful we need to know where the Spanish are and when they’re going to attack. So far we’ve had nothing.”

John expected Wode to grumble then, and so was pleasantly surprised when he said. “I can help there.”

“You can?” John asked.

“I can.” Wode said. “I can get my sons to start tracking the Spanish. We could follow them in a few smaller boats and then see where they land.”

“If they land.” John said.

“They will have to land, the weather being what it is.” Wode said.

Wyatt spoke then before John could answer. “Very well, see to it and do it promptly.”

“Yes, Governor.” Wode replied.

“Now, I’ve had word from Jacobia, and it seems that there are some new powers appearing in the area.” Wyatt said.

“New powers?” John asked.

“The Dutch, of course, but also the French are re-emerging and I believe even ships from Denmark are appearing.” Wyatt said.

“Denmark?” John asked, that was surprising, he hadn’t thought that the Danes had any interest in colonising anything that wasn’t Swedish.

“Indeed, the game is changing.” Wyatt said.

“So, what are we to do?” John asked.

“We need to keep an ear and an eye out, we need to assess the situation and then we need to act.” Wyatt said.

“Act how?” John asked, he didn’t think they had the manpower to go and wage a full war against any of these powers.

“We’ll send word to the Crown and take it from there.” Wyatt said.

Wode snorted, but didn’t counter what the Governor had said, and John breathed a sigh of relief.

Clearly, Wyatt was done talking though for he asked. “Does anyone have anything else they would like to discuss?”

When nobody said anything, the man nodded and said. “I’ll see you all in a week’s time then.” Wyatt got up and left, and a few moments later John and the others also got up. It was slow moving and John couldn’t help but feel that there was something lurking in the shadows. Something that might harm them. what it was, he didn’t know, but the feeling was there and it wouldn’t go away.

Last edited:
Palatinate Family Tree
Palatinate Family Tree.jpg

Aye

Though looking at the view from NA they are right about the game changing though if the spanish land I'd probably look at hiring the first nation fellows to help harass any force advancing from their landing site.
This is true
So the Granny Louise gets the third girl (OTL Henriette or an ATL child born instead of OTL Louis next year) named after her?
Perhaps Louise Charlotte if Robert’s romance with Charlotte continues?
;)

Thinking about the Palatine matches - a Hesse-Darmstadt girl is a waste for a heir, but would be nice for Karl Ludwig who can be created Count Palatine of Umstadt as part of the marriage (the amt goes with the bride).
A Saxony girl so all three Protestant electorates are linked by marriage would be much better for Frederick Henry (Magdalene Sybille specifically, as she makes more sense for Electoral Prince than for Prince of Wales who'll be looking for one of her older sisters), as Fred's sister is married to Brandenburg.
And Elector John George I is pro-Imperial enough to consider Cecilia Renata of Styria as a wife for his heir, provided King of Bohemia parts with selected parts of Lusatia/Silesia as a dowry,

OK with Anne to the Netherlands if she is not competing with her British cousin.

Last edited:
Thinking about the Palatine matches - a Hesse-Darmstadt girl is a waste for a heir, but would be nice for Karl Ludwig who can be created Count Palatine of Umstadt as part of the marriage (the amt goes with the bride).
A Saxony girl so all three Protestant electorates are linked by marriage would be much better for Frederick Henry (Magdalene Sybille specifically, as she makes more sense for Electoral Prince than for Prince of Wales who'll be looking for one of her older sisters), as Fred's sister is married to Brandenburg.
And Elector John George I is pro-Imperial enough to consider Cecilia Renata of Styria as a wife for his heir, provided King of Bohemia parts with selected parts of Lusatia/Silesia as a dowry,

OK with Anne to the Netherlands if she is not competing with her British cousin.
Hmm tbis is true, could
Be an intriguing time abd would stop Karl Ludwig from scheming in the future
Would it not be every penny?
it would indeed

Hmm tbis is true, could
Be an intriguing time abd would stop Karl Ludwig from scheming in the future
Yes. I think that his relatives wouldn't be as greedy TTL as he was, and being a landed Count Palatine would make him happy enough to make him a loyal subject of his brother.
Re. younger brothers, getting naturalized via a foreign heiress match is not bad if there is no suitable amt to offer.

And even if Hessian girl is slightly older than Karl - all of his uncles are either married to or are courting slightly older girls currently.

Last edited:
BTW, Given how the TTL 2nd Duke of Hamilton and Cambridge according to our notes TTL gets an ATL marriage (Anna Sapieha, a maid of honor/ward of the Queen and youngest daughter of the famous PLC Chancellor Lew Sapieha, as opposed to OTL Buckingham's niece), and Anna's OTL marriage was infertile with all infants dying in childhood (her OTL husband had 4 children from second marriage), even if we attribute the infertilty to poor genetic match, a version of 3rd Duchess of Hamilton can be the only child to survive infancy, and the heiress for Rupert/Maurice of Palatinate to marry if any of them is to naturalize in their uncle's kingdom (she'll be of approximately the right age, as the marriage is happening right now if not happened yet).

BTW, Given how the TTL 2nd Duke of Hamilton and Cambridge according to our notes TTL gets an ATL marriage (Anna Sapieha, a maid of honor/ward of the Queen and youngest daughter of the famous PLC Chancellor Lew Sapieha, as opposed to OTL Buckingham's niece), and Anna's OTL marriage was infertile with all infants dying in childhood (her OTL husband had 4 children from second marriage), even if we attribute the infertilty to poor genetic match, a version of 3rd Duchess of Hamilton can be the only child to survive infancy, and the heiress for Rupert/Maurice of Palatinate to marry if any of them is to naturalize in their uncle's kingdom (she'll be of approximately the right age, as the marriage is happening right now if not happened yet).
Definitely :)

Was thinking about Mary Villiers as the only child of her parents to survive infancy TTL for a historical in-joke especially given that her OTL husband is likely to marry a Seymor girl to join the claims of cadet branches, but she is too low a match for a King's nephew except as a scandalous love match.