Albion Rising: A Henry Frederick Timeline

"Mashenka" is just not a formal address. The formal address will be "Maria". "Masha" is a short version. "Mashka" is a variant of a fraternal appeal to a friend or a teaser. "Mashenka" is an affectionate address. And all these are derivatives of the name "Maria".
Mashka is the most plausible if the girl is relative low-born. 17th century etiquette allowed this.

Last edited:

Rev

Banned
Mashka is the most plausible if the girl is relative low-born. 17th century etiquette allowed this.
Ну, если только по этикету, так то это обычное обращение даже равных по положению друзей. Просто мне трудно представить формальное общение подростков друг с другом.

Well, if only by etiquette, then this is the usual treatment even of friends of equal status. It's just hard for me to imagine formal communication between teenagers with each other.

Ну, если только по этикету, так то это обычное обращение даже равных по положению друзей. Просто мне трудно представить формальное общение подростков друг с другом.
So, the most plausible.

Visitors from the Kingdom of Imeriti? Trade should flow nicely from the Persians then.
The Georgians were considered viable marriage partners since at least 50 years ago.
It's good (from Vasya's own PoV) that Vasilii's betrothed is not a Georgian girl (though the Vasilii's fiancee's stepuncle is not above Vasilii's getting some... experience with servants beforehand).

Henry is a devout Christian and deeply in love with his wife. I doubt he’ll take a mistress. It would be for show at most.
Devoutly religious people had affairs, look at how many Popes had mistresses and illegitimate children.
Having a mistress was a sign of virility and masculinity.
Historically people like, George II of Great Britain who could be considered to have been very in love with, Caroline of Ansbach, still enjoyed having mistresses.
She is an interesting candidate for well, keeping Royal company, and she's a Royal cousin. So a position of King's companion may be a way to help said cousin find a way in life.
Lady Maxwell is likely to be appointed to Duchess of York household and not Queen's, though.
But combining the need to have a mistress with the need to provide charity to a widowed cousin may lead to... interesting things.
The reason I went with widows, is like Ogrebear, stated, there is less interest in them from other suitors, less chance of them producing a child and more likely to just be happy to oblige the service rather then expecting anything in return.
The three respectable widows you've mentioned, or at least two of them (Margaret Maxwell and Philadelphia Scrope) are likely to be in household of Duchess of York and not of Queen.
Though Mrs Scrope was a trusted confidante of Queen Mother (and likely IS).
I can’t remember seeing a list of which ladies in waiting are with the Queen, Queen Mother and the Duchess of York.
Anne Marie may suggest to her mother in law and sister in law, that she has an opening for another lady, but placing the advice, that she wants them to be slightly older and possibly widowed.
Oh, I didn't feel like you were attacking the Bible at all. Just pointing out that the interpretations used to justify chattel slavery required some very selective reading.
Oh ok, thank you.
They are very selective and have to be interpreted a certain way but sadly as we know, there are people of every religion and every nationality who will find texts that fit their narratives.
Indeed, of course, man could always pull out.
Pulling out? If he thinks it's going to save Anna? I think he would. After all, he can always ejaculate into his hand aha.
I don’t wish to comment on the pull out game of his royal highness, however biology doesn’t work that was an the “pre game warm up” can just be as effective as the “touch down”
This could be the scare that forces Henry to take a mistress, hearing the news that his wife became pregnant even with his POG, leading to, death of both in childbirth, death of both during the pregnancy or miscarriage of the baby.
The Bible in general has long been a book of slaves. To the service of power and the justification of exploitation (not only of slaves) she moved on much later. And for slaves in the colonies, there were excuses up to the point that Indians and Negroes refused to be considered people, and thus justified genocide and enslavement. So even where the interpretation of the Bible is not enough, in the name of profit it can simply be bypassed.
Along with all the other religions and as well as other political, social and civil issue.
But we don’t need to turn this wonderful story thread into a debate on slavery.

Devoutly religious people had affairs, look at how many Popes had mistresses and illegitimate children.
Historically people like, George II of Great Britain who could be considered to have been very in love with, Caroline of Ansbach, still enjoyed having mistresses.

The reason I went with widows, is like Ogrebear, stated, there is less interest in them from other suitors, less chance of them producing a child and more likely to just be happy to oblige the service rather then expecting anything in return.

I can’t remember seeing a list of which ladies in waiting are with the Queen, Queen Mother and the Duchess of York.
Anne Marie may suggest to her mother in law and sister in law, that she has an opening for another lady, but placing the advice, that she wants them to be slightly older and possibly widowed.

Oh ok, thank you.
They are very selective and have to be interpreted a certain way but sadly as we know, there are people of every religion and every nationality who will find texts that fit their narratives.

I don’t wish to comment on the pull out game of his royal highness, however biology doesn’t work that was an the “pre game warm up” can just be as effective as the “touch down”
This could be the scare that forces Henry to take a mistress, hearing the news that his wife became pregnant even with his POG, leading to, death of both in childbirth, death of both during the pregnancy or miscarriage of the baby.

Along with all the other religions and as well as other political, social and civil issue.
This is true plus I could see Henry’s clerk of the closet (if it’s the Puritan Burton) using the story of Onan to convince Henry against spilling his seed etc

Lady Margaret Maxwell can be a good compromise for "Royal Bedwarmer" as it's unlikely the Duke of Hamilton and Cambridge would advance any more he already is by placing his sister in King's good graces. Out of the list I like her the most.

Oh ok, thank you.

Feels completely OOC for Henry. It’s already been established he doesn’t wholly subscribe to all contemporary social norms

Chapter 207: Women At War

Chapter 207: Women At War

August, 1623

The silence was beginning to feel deeply oppressive, such that Anna Maria had to say something. “Why is everyone so down?” She demanded, her tone sharper than she had intended.

Mary, Lady Effingham, daughter in law to the Earl of Nottingham spoke then. “The news from the war is not encouraging, Your Majesty.”

Anna sighed. Word had arrived earlier that day about the first battle between the British fleet and the Spanish fleet, after the two had been chasing one another for months. It had ended in a stalemate, with both fleets breaking apart to regroup. “It was not a defeat.” Was all she could say.

“But surely we need more than that?!” Mary said.

“Indeed we do, but victories do not always happen immediately.” Anna said, echoing something Henry had said when he’d told her.

Isabel, the Countess of Holland spoke then. “Begging your pardon, Your Majesty, but I think that is not right.”

Anna looked at the woman. Isabel was a fiery woman who ruled her husband, she was also someone Anna trusted. “Why do you say so?” She asked, wondering what answer Isabel would give.

“With the greatest of respect to Lord Nottingham, I think that perhaps the time has come for him to be replaced.” Isabel said.

Anna was about to protest this when Mary spoke. “I agree. My father in law is a good man, but he is old. Very old. Times have changed.”

Anna looked at Mary, surprised, she would’ve thought that the woman would stand by her father in law. But the woman simply looked at her and shrugged. “Who would you replace him with?” She asked then.

“The Earl of Warwick.” Isabel said. Anna looked at her. “He has experience and he knows the navy like the back of his hand.”

“He has never fought in a proper battle before.” Anna pointed out. “Only raids and skirmishes.”

“Still, it’s something. He knows the tactics. The Earl of Nottingham, with the greatest of respect, does not.” Isabel said.

Anna wasn’t sure what to make of that. Of course, the decision wasn’t in any of their hands, it was in Henry’s, but something about Warwick sat the wrong way with her, and such she wasn’t sure she would feel comfortable having him command the fleet. She was about to give voice to that when the Countess of Warwick spoke up herself.

“I don’t think Robert would accept the offer even if it was made.”

“Why?” Anna asked looking at the other woman intrigued. She looked gaunt, as if she were fading away, which perhaps she was.

“He knows that he lacks experience and he wishes to observe the Earl of Nottingham.” The woman said.

Anna nodded and looked at her other ladies. “You see, all is not so far gone.” Though if Nottingham didn’t pull out a victory soon, she got the feeling that there would be consequences.

Her ladies seemed to accept this, and Anne, Marchioness of Huntly spoke then. “Did you hear about what happened to Elizabeth Sheldon?”

“The Mayor’s daughter?” Anna asked. Sheldon was the current Lord Mayor, at least that’s what Anna remembered, she never kept up with local politics, finding it quite boring.

“Yes.” Anne said.

“What happened?” Anna asked.

“She was kidnapped by Christopher Villiers two days’ ago.” Anne said sounding scandalised.

Anna had heard about this. It seemed that the Marquess of Buckingham’s younger brother had gotten it into his head that he needed to marry an heiress and so he’d gone for one who was wealthy, wealthier than even the Marquess’ own wife. Henry had ordered the Trained Bands to find the couple.

“Why would he do that?” Isabel asked.

“Because he’s a fool.” Anna answered. “He thinks that he needs to marry an heiress to compete with his brother and so he went for the Lord Mayor’s daughter.”

“Oh no.” Isabel said. “The poor woman.”

“Indeed.” Anna said. They all knew what Christopher Villiers was like. A man who drank far too much and did far too much of other things than was good for him or anyone else. He had been a favourite drinking companion of King James, until even King James had found him to be too much. He had also tried and failed to marry several heiresses before. All his attempts had ended in failure after the girls’ fathers had decided against it. Henry may have had in one or two of those decisions.

“So, what happens now?” Isabel asked.

“The Trained Bands are looking for them.” Anna said. “The Trained Bands will find them and then Christopher will be punished. The Marquess is also being questioned.”

“Does Your Majesty think he will know where his brother has gone?” Anne asked.

“I believe that is a great possibility.” Anna said. “After all, Buckingham knows more about his family than perhaps even his own mother.” And that woman knew almost everything.

“I just hope that the girl survives the ordeal.” Isabel said.

“As do we all.” Anna replied.

A heavy silence fell then as they all contemplated what might happen should the girl not make it through her ordeal. It would be catastrophic and perhaps incredibly damaging for the war effort. Villiers would be punished regardless, but his brother and his wider family would need to be dealt with as well, and Anna was fully aware that Henry had been wary of doing that given his promise to King James before the latter’s death.

The silence was broken by Penelope who asked. “Will Her Highness Princess Mary be getting married soon, Your Majesty?”

Anna smiled, Crown Prince Christian had proposed to Mary a few weeks ago and she had accepted, which had gotten the court in a celebratory mood. King Christian had given his consent for the marriage long before, but it was nice to see how considerate of Mary, the Crown Prince was. “I believe they will be getting married once the war has ended.” That was what Henry had decided. Better to give them the wedding they deserved.

“Let us hope it ends soon.” Penelope said.

“Indeed.” Anna replied.

I wonder if the Earl of Warwick is not wanting to be in charge of a defeat?

Christopher Villiers- you are a disgrace sir! I suspect the courts will not be lenient when caught, esp if Elizabeth Sheldon is hurt or violated.

Hmm wonder if the Earl of Warwick is not trying to avoid defeat but maybe trying to essentially keep the Spanish under threat and hamper how they react. You know keep them tied down covering for Raiders. If he had the light units maybe cut them loose and start to go after Spanish merchant men and raid coastal areas.

I wonder if the Earl of Warwick is not wanting to be in charge of a defeat?

Christopher Villiers- you are a disgrace sir! I suspect the courts will not be lenient when caught, esp if Elizabeth Sheldon is hurt or violated.
Very possible

and oh indeed his name is going to be sheared that’s for sure
Hmm wonder if the Earl of Warwick is not trying to avoid defeat but maybe trying to essentially keep the Spanish under threat and hamper how they react. You know keep them tied down covering for Raiders. If he had the light units maybe cut them loose and start to go after Spanish merchant men and raid coastal areas.
very possible

Chapter 208: Man Of War

Chapter 208: Man Of War

September, 1623

The wind was in their favour. Robert could feel it lapping at his face and felt relief at that. That was what they needed, something positive, something that would let them get over their nerves and move forward toward achieving their goals. Especially after the last battle, they needed something.

That last battle had been anti-climactic. They’d fought with the Spanish ramming in and sinking perhaps three ships, but they’d also taken damage, and so the Lord Admiral had agreed a truce with his counterpart and they’d both sailed off to their respective docks to get work done to rebuild. For them that had involved going to Ireland and getting the work done.

Now they were back on the waves and the Spanish were approaching. Robert glanced up to the flagpole, where his standard and the Kingdom’s flag were flying high. He was in command of the vanguard. An honour he had demanded before they’d set sail. He was his brother’s representative and it was only right that a Prince command from the front.

Nottingham as Lord Admiral was in the centre. If Robert put the looking glass to his eye, he’d be able to see Nottingham’s ship, HMS Eagle, right in the centre of the centre formation. Nottingham was old, and his tactics showed it. he’d instructed them to lure the Spanish toward them rather than strike out and attack them. Robert didn’t agree but Nottingham had the advantage of seniority.

His first mate, John Hawthorn appeared at his side then. “Ships at the bow side, Sir.”

Robert pulled his looking glass out and put it to his eye, sure enough in the distance he could see the first of the Spanish fleet. Keeping the glass to his eye he said. “Get the men ready and spread the signal down the van, John, prepare to initiate step one.”

“Yes, Sir.” John replied.

Step one, that involved moving the ship as quickly as possible so that the cannons were in the right position to fire as quickly and as effectively as possible. Robert had worked on the tactic alongside Nottingham and Warwick. He just hoped it worked as well here as it had done in dock in Ireland.

The ships were getting closer, ever closer. Robert counted it down. They would soon be within range. “Cannons are in position, Sir.” Hawthorn said.

Robert grunted. “Keep them prepped for my command.”

Robert kept his attention on the approaching Spanish vessels. He found himself wondering if they would adopt the same tactics that they had done in the last battle or if there would be some new variant that was included.

He hoped they kept to the same, after all, that was how Nottingham had prepared. Robert counted it down, and then when the first ship came into range he shouted. “Fire!” The command passed down the chain and within moments there was a whip crack as the cannons fired.

Robert watched as the cannon balls came flying out and hit the ship on the bow side. Wood splintered and he heard shouts. “Move forward!” He roared. He knew the Spanish would try and get back at them and he had no intention of allowing that to happen.

His ship moved steadily through the waters, the cannons located at the stern fired off in rapid sequence, clearing out the enemy. “One ship down.” Robert murmured to himself. That was good.

He heard something and turned. “Enemy ships approaching from starboard!” He roared, just as the lookout did the same.

Robert watched as the enemy ships took out two-or was it three? Of the ships in the vanguard and swore. The van gave back as good as they got though. The echoing booms of the cannons causing his body to shake. Explosions hit and men screamed. Battle was in full force.

Robert took a deep shuddering breath, trying to calm himself. This was war, there was no place for hesitancy or anything else like that. It was time to get things sorted. As other ships approached, if they bore the arms of Castile or any of the other Kingdoms that made-up Spain, he ordered his men to fire on them.

The ships went down and so far, they had avoided anyone on his ship getting injured. But then, a cannon ball came and took out someone. Robert stared as the man got knocked into the cold waters of the sea, screaming and crying. Robert shook and then barked out a command to return fire.

There were a series of loud explosions as cannon balls found their marks, and the smell of debris and the dying filled his nose. Robert swallowed. He felt sick and he felt as though he wanted a cup of water, or wine or ale, anything to get rid of the taste in his mouth.

He didn’t call for it though for he knew that doing so would be taken as a sign of weakness.

“Sir!” Hawthorn appeared then. He was covered in sweat.

“What is it?” Robert demanded, feeling sweat on himself for the first time.

“We’ve received a signal from the Lord Admiral, Sir. He’s requesting assistance. Seems the Spanish have broken through his defences.” Hawthorn said.

Robert wanted to swear. How had the Spanish done that? “How’s the situation here?” Robert asked.

“Spanish have moved on; they’ve lost six ships to sinking and five to further repairs. We’ve captured two.” Hawthorn said.

That meant that the bulk of their fleet would be bearing down on Nottingham now then. “Very well, give the command, we’re going to aid Nottingham.”

“He’s not to the stern, Sir. He’s near our bow.” Hawthorn said.

“What?!” Robert exclaimed. How had that happened? He pressed the looking glass to his eye again and sure enough saw Nottingham’s ship under heavy fire.

“We need to get there at once!” Robert yelled.

The command was passed down the chain and sure enough their ship started moving. Robert was praying that they got to Nottingham before his ship sunk. If Nottingham went they were finished. He desperately hoped everything would be fine.

It seemed that God had decided to laugh at his prayers, for as soon as they got within range, there was a large crack, and then the screams came through. Nottingham’s ship went down into the depths, with Nottingham on it.

God save us.

Rev

Banned
Very good. I was even afraid that the story would slide into another "they are weaklings, and my beloved [substitute the name of the country] always wins." It's nice to see that the author's obvious favorite doesn't turn into the invincible Mary Tzu. Thanks.

Which might work for him as he can go for tactics the Spanish will not expect aka making it up as he goes along!

Needs to remember to use signal flags.
Oh agreed
Very good. I was even afraid that the story would slide into another "they are weaklings, and my beloved [substitute the name of the country] always wins." It's nice to see that the author's obvious favorite doesn't turn into the invincible Mary Tzu. Thanks.
got to keep it real after all aha