Albion Rising: A Henry Frederick Timeline

It would be very interesting indeed should Hungary break free of the Habsburgs. It would leave the Habsburgs no choice but to focus on the HRE and increase their power there

Mmm, why am I picturing vultures with the Sultan and his Vizier faces observing with an interested eyes?
They have a handful in Persia, with Russia joining in on Persian side with 1621 treaty on Caucasus front (complete with marriage treaty with Georgian Persian proxy); and since Russia has a modernized-to-Dutch-standards army with lots of unemployed people, the participation is going to be interesting.
Especially IF this means that lead mines in Georgia are secured earlier than OTL.
By the seventeenth century, silver mines remained a major source of wealth for Georgia, particularly in Imereti, while copper mining flourished in Kartli in the early eighteenth century.[4]
"We have lots of unemployed soldiers, you have silver and the interest in Volga trade route going unmolested by these unemployed soldiers turned Cossack pirates".

They have a handful in Persia, with Russia joining in on Persian side with 1621 treaty on Caucasus front (complete with marriage treaty with Georgian Persian proxy); and since Russia has a modernized-to-Dutch-standards army with lots of unemployed people, the participation is going to be interesting.
Especially IF this means that lead mines in Georgia are secured earlier than OTL.

"We have lots of unemployed soldiers, you have silver and the interest in Volga trade route going unmolested by these unemployed soldiers turned Cossack pirates".
Is Russia already able to go to war? The one against Poland, complete with a civil war of sort must have hitten hard on them.

Is Russia already able to go to war? The one against Poland, complete with a civil war of sort must have hitten hard on them.
Civil war is over, and the one against Poland resulted in Russia keeping Smolensk and Kiev.
There is much less drama compared to OTL (Moscow was never taken and sacked, the treasury is in better shape compared to OTL, especially since the Baltic coast was never lost and trade with Persia is important).

The problem is that there is the same social problem that caused a spike of robbery on British roads after Civil War. Many people with military training and issues with adjustments to civil life.
So there is either having to tolerate problems on important trade routes (think Stepan Razin uprising 40 years earlier than OTL) or lease some of these troublemakers to Caucasus as "military aid" secured by treaty / marriage treaty. With payment in silver and as a way to remove some troublemaking generals with attitude who dare to think that the new Tsar owes his throne to them, from capital (Mikhail Shuiski is an experienced commander, and not a boy Mikhail Romanov was, but some of OTL problems on internal front are there and are coming from the same people).

Also, Russian entry on Caucasus may lead to building Astrakhan navy earlier than OTL to protect the shipping, but that depends on how well the idea of leasing mercenaries against Turk will fill the treasury.
Caucasus campaigns tended to result in fuckton of non-combat losses due to climate issues up to until end-18th century/Napoleonic era.

Russian entry on Caucasus may lead to building Astrakhan navy earlier than OTL
IOTL Holstein-Gottorp was interested in Persian trade and helped building Navy on Caspian sea.
Such an opportunity presented itself only in 1634, when an embassy from the Duke of Holstein Frederick III arrived at the court of Tsar Mikhail Fedorovich with a request for permission for his subjects to pass through the territory of Russia to Persia on commercial matters. This is reported by the German traveler Adam Olearius in his book "Description of a trip to Muscovy." The embassy also had to negotiate with the Russian authorities on the construction of ten ships on the Volga. The Russian government reacted favorably to this request, hoping to adopt from the Holstein craftsmen the very technology of building large ships. At the end of 1634, six Holstein shipbuilders set out from Moscow to Nizhny Novgorod, and by June 1636 the first ship named after Duke Frederick III "Frederick" was launched. In March 1636, a new Holstein embassy arrived in Moscow, which hired a crew in Russia for "Frederick" from local foreigners and Russians. On October 27, the embassy left Moscow for Persia. According to A. Olearius, 126 people sailed to Persia in total on the Frederick. On November 12, 1636, when "Frederick" was already near Derbent, he got into a powerful storm, received serious damage, and ran aground. As a result, the Holsteins refused to complete the remaining 9 ships; the Russian authorities also lost interest in them.
TTL the Caspian flotilia will be started with Dutch/English subsidies and maybe shipbuilders, as both nations are interested in proxy trade with Persia, and the Dutch entered the market during the war (quite a lot of Russian content in this TL was balancing the trade interests of two nations).
The flagship TTL will be called "Michael the Archangel" after patron saint of the Tsar, likely.

Probably the next Russian chapter can involve the court travelling to Astrakhan to greet in person the Georgian betrothed of Tsarevna Elena and to see the launch of "Michael the Archangel"?

Sadly bible verses were used by plantation owners as a way to justify the mistreatment of slaves.
While of course ignoring verses like Galatians 3:28, the Parable of the Good Samaritan, or the fact that Deuteronomy 23:15 commands assisting escaped slaves.

Or Deuteronomy 24:7, which forbids the enslavement of fellow Israelites - that could be interpreted to forbid the enslavement of fellow Christians. And Exodus 21:26-27 requires freeing any slave if you maim them. Exodus 21:2 requires freeing male slaves not born into slavery after 6 years.

Not to mention the Great Commandment, on which hangs ‘all the Law and the Prophets’.

Last edited:
Question- has Henry got a mistress?

Has Anna picked out a lady for him for when she is pregnant and unavailable?

I can see them being open enough with each other for something like this to happen:

SETTING: Great Hall of some Keep, nothing shabby, maybe Kenilworth or similar. Quick music is playing and couples are dancing across the floor in finery, but not masked.

ANNA: Her, over there in the green, with the ruby necklace, she has the high cheekbones you like.

HENRY: Pretty yes, but her father would storm into London and demand a duel. Scottish blood and all that.

ANNA: *laughs* Oh, over there, in the blue, with the opal brooch. Lady [xxxxxx] Older, I will grant you but widowed, lonely, rich, and I know she fancied you.

HENRY: Really? Well she is a bit...

ANNA: What too plump? She is hardly bigger than I. Are you calling me...

HENRY: What, of course not. But the lady there is.... being courted by Ludlow I am told.

ANNA: Nothing in it. She is leading him on. Would definitely be a catch. Less controversial than that [xxxxx] woman who was trying to get close.

HENRY: Marianne never stood a chance. Way too young and scandalous, daughter of an Earl!

ANNA: That's why [xxxxx] is perfect. Older means less chance of bastards, and as she is already wealthy she is not in it for the prizes.

HENRY: Wasn't she in your circle?

ANNA: Perhaps. I saw her about the Palace a few times.

HENRY: *sigh* I have no choice in this do I?

ANNA: Of course you do, but would you prefer I help and avoid too many problems or....

HENRY: Fine make the introductions My Darling.

ANNA: Good man....

Deleted member 147978

I can see them being open enough with each other for something like this to happen:

SETTING: Great Hall of some Keep, nothing shabby, maybe Kenilworth or similar. Quick music is playing and couples are dancing across the floor in finery, but not masked.

ANNA: Her, over there in the green, with the ruby necklace, she has the high cheekbones you like.

HENRY: Pretty yes, but her father would storm into London and demand a duel. Scottish blood and all that.

ANNA: *laughs* Oh, over there, in the blue, with the opal brooch. Lady [xxxxxx] Older, I will grant you but widowed, lonely, rich, and I know she fancied you.

HENRY: Really? Well she is a bit...

ANNA: What too plump? She is hardly bigger than I. Are you calling me...

HENRY: What, of course not. But the lady there is.... being courted by Ludlow I am told.

ANNA: Nothing in it. She is leading him on. Would definitely be a catch. Less controversial than that [xxxxx] woman who was trying to get close.

HENRY: Marianne never stood a chance. Way too young and scandalous, daughter of an Earl!

ANNA: That's why [xxxxx] is perfect. Older means less chance of bastards, and as she is already wealthy she is not in it for the prizes.

HENRY: *sigh* I have no choice in this do I?

ANNA: Of course you do, but would you prefer I help and avoid too many problems or....

HENRY: Fine make the introductions My Darling.

ANNA: Good man....
Could you imagine if Henry Frederick did happen to have a mistress despite having three surviving sons? Anna Maria would lose her marbles if that were to happen.

While of course ignoring verses like Galatians 3:28, the Parable of the Good Samaritan, or the fact that Deuteronomy 23:15 commands assisting escaped slaves.

Snip
I’m not saying that the bible was a pro-slavery book, I am simply answering Ogrebear’s query of:
Not sure the Bible does support slavery?

Sadly like any religion, people through out history have used the wording of texts or even the actions of certain historical religious figures to justify their own beliefs and actions.

Apologies if you feel that I have attacked the bible, I was only pointing out an issue that has been discussed before.

This is an interesting notion, it was very common for monarchs to have mistresses and IOTL George III was seen as weird for not having a mistress and some people rumoured that his madness was brought on by this fact.

The use of a mistress was to “relieve” the king while the Queen was unable to.

Royal bastards had a weird status in history:
- James V of Scotland’s illegitimate son, James Stewart, 1st Earl of Moray, would go on to serve as Regent during the minority of James VI.
- Henry VIII would raise his illegitimate son, Henry FitzRoy, to the royal title, Duke of Richmond and Somerset as well as the government offices of Lord High Admiral of England and Lord Lieutenant of Ireland.

Most nobleman saw the title of royal mistress as an honour, notably Duke of Norfolk, as the position is usually accompanied with influence over the king, and personal gain for the woman and her family.
This issue would be a sticky point as Parliament is already looking at reasons to not renew tonnage and poundage, and a new king taking new favourites could be used against him.
Possibly could be:
- Lady Bridget Fitzgerald, daughter of Henry FitzGerald, 12th Earl of Kildare and Lady Frances Howard and the widow of Rudhraighe Ó Domhnaill, 1st Earl of Tyrconnell, who died OTL in Rome, 1608.
- Lady Margaret Hamilton, daughter of John Hamilton, 1st Marquess of Hamilton and Margaret Lyon; widow of John Maxwell, 9th Lord Maxwell, who died 1613, the pair had an unhappy marriage and had no surviving children.
- Lady Philadelphia Carey, daughter of Henry Carey, 1st Baron Hunsdonand Ann Morgan. Widow of Thomas Scrope, 10th Baron Scrope of Bolton. She was the sister of, Robert Carey, who following the death of Queen Elizabeth I, was given her royal ring, rode to Scotland to give it to James VI and was the governor of Prince Charles from 1605 to 1610. As well as these connections, Philadelphia was at the bedside of Queen Elizabeth I near the time of her death, as her special confidante. On 2 May 1603 Lady Scrope was among a list of women who went to Berwick-upon-Tweed to welcome Anne of Denmark to England.

Or a slightly fictitious character could be created, as an affect of Henry, Prince of Wales surviving.

Again to avoid naming an OTL lady and discrediting her as scandalous, a fictitious character could be created, as an affect of Henry, Prince of Wales surviving, to avoid this.

It was quiet common for the king’s mistress to be in the capacity of being a lady-in-waiting to the Queen consort.
A) so that the Queen can keep an eye on her.
B) so that the lady in question was allowed to be in the royal palace.

Could you imagine if Henry Frederick did happen to have a mistress despite having three surviving sons? Anna Maria would lose her marbles if that were to happen.
Honestly, I can’t imagine him having a mistress. He’s way too puritan in that aspect. He’s gonna stick to Anna Maria until one of them is no more
As stated above use of a mistress was to “relieve” the king while the Queen was unable to.
It was never seen as an affair but simply giving the Queen time to rest.
I can understand Henry having doubts especially having seen his mother being put out by his father’s favourite, but this could be seen as a position filled just while the Queen is unavailable.
It could also be seen as a mercy thing. If having another child could kill Anne Maria, the chance of avoiding getting pregnant isn’t very likely.
As Ogrebear wrote in his idea, Anne Maria is considering ladies who have gone past childbearing age or even infertile, to avoid issues of illegitimacy.

Last edited:
I’m not saying that the bible was a pro-slavery book, I am simply answering Ogrebear’s query of:
Not sure the Bible does support slavery?

Sadly like any religion, people through out history have used the wording of texts or even the actions of certain historical religious figures to justify their own beliefs and actions.

Apologies if you feel that I have attacked the bible, I was only pointing out an issue that has been discussed before.

This is an interesting notion, it was very common for monarchs to have mistresses and IOTL George III was seen as weird for not having a mistress and some people rumoured that his madness was brought on by this fact.

The use of a mistress was to “relieve” the king while the Queen was unable to.

Royal bastards had a weird status in history:
- James V of Scotland’s illegitimate son, James Stewart, 1st Earl of Moray, would go on to serve as Regent during the minority of James VI.
- Henry VIII would raise his illegitimate son, Henry FitzRoy, to the royal title, Duke of Richmond and Somerset as well as the government offices of Lord High Admiral of England and Lord Lieutenant of Ireland.

Most nobleman saw the title of royal mistress as an honour, notably Duke of Norfolk, as the position is usually accompanied with influence over the king, and personal gain for the woman and her family.
This issue would be a sticky point as Parliament is already looking at reasons to not renew tonnage and poundage, and a new king taking new favourites could be used against him.

Possibly could be:
- Lady Bridget Fitzgerald, daughter of Henry FitzGerald, 12th Earl of Kildare and Lady Frances Howard and the widow of Rudhraighe Ó Domhnaill, 1st Earl of Tyrconnell, who died OTL in Rome, 1608.
- Lady Margaret Hamilton, daughter of John Hamilton, 1st Marquess of Hamilton and Margaret Lyon; widow of John Maxwell, 9th Lord Maxwell, who died 1613, the pair had an unhappy marriage and had no surviving children.
- Lady Philadelphia Carey, daughter of Henry Carey, 1st Baron Hunsdonand Ann Morgan. Widow of Thomas Scrope, 10th Baron Scrope of Bolton. She was the sister of, Robert Carey, who following the death of Queen Elizabeth I, was given her royal ring, rode to Scotland to give it to James VI and was the governor of Prince Charles from 1605 to 1610. As well as these connections, Philadelphia was at the bedside of Queen Elizabeth I near the time of her death, as her special confidante. On 2 May 1603 Lady Scrope was among a list of women who went to Berwick-upon-Tweed to welcome Anne of Denmark to England.

Or a slightly fictitious character could be created, as an affect of Henry, Prince of Wales surviving.

Again to avoid naming an OTL lady and discrediting her as scandalous, a fictitious character could be created, as an affect of Henry, Prince of Wales surviving, to avoid this.

It was quiet common for the king’s mistress to be in the capacity of being a lady-in-waiting to the Queen consort.
A) so that the Queen can keep an eye on her.
B) so that the lady in question was allowed to be in the royal palace.

As stated above use of a mistress was to “relieve” the king while the Queen was unable to.
It was never seen as an affair but simply giving the Queen time to rest.
I can understand Henry having doubts especially having seen his mother being put out by his father’s favourite, but this could be seen as a position filled just while the Queen is unavailable.
It could also be seen as a mercy thing. If having another child could kill Anne Maria, the chance of avoiding getting pregnant isn’t very likely.
As Ogrebear wrote in his idea, Anne Maria is considering ladies who have gone past childbearing age or even infertile, to avoid issues of illegitimacy.
Henry is a devout Christian and deeply in love with his wife. I doubt he’ll take a mistress. It would be for show at most.

She is an interesting candidate for well, keeping Royal company, and she's a Royal cousin. So a position of King's companion may be a way to help said cousin find a way in life.
Lady Maxwell is likely to be appointed to Duchess of York household and not Queen's, though.
But combining the need to have a mistress with the need to provide charity to a widowed cousin may lead to... interesting things.

The three respectable widows you've mentioned, or at least two of them (Margaret Maxwell and Philadelphia Scrope) are likely to be in household of Duchess of York and not of Queen.
Though Mrs Scrope was a trusted confidante of Queen Mother (and likely IS).

Last edited:
Chapter 206: Boys

Chapter 206: Boys

July, 1623

Vasili inhaled as the breeze whipped through him. It felt nice to be out of the confines of the palace and be able to walk around and do things. There’d been a spot of the fever earlier in the year, and the Tsar had ordered them all confined to their rooms. Court activities had stopped and it had felt as if the whole world had stopped moving. But then in June, the doctors and those other fools declared that everything was back to normal and so they’d started moving again.

That was a good thing as far as he was concerned. He’d been going mad sitting in his room, barely able to move beyond it, getting meals through the door etc. It felt nice to get some movement in his legs and to start working through things. Especially now that he didn’t have to worry so much about that other thing.

“Your Highness?” A voice asked breaking into his day-dreaming.

Vasili blinked and found himself looking at his friend Ivan. Ivan was tall for his age, with a mop of brown hair and piercing green eyes. “What is it?” He asked.

“Oh, I just wanted to know how things were with you, during the court shutdown.” Ivan said. “Especially with your betrothed.” A gleeful look overcame Ivan then and Vasili grimaced.

“Fine.” He said curtly, though he knew that wouldn’t be enough to sate his friends. “She is fine.”

“Is that really all you have to say, Your Highness?” Another friend, Pyotr asked.

Vasili felt his grimace deepen. “Well, what else do you want me to say? She’s a girl.” It was true, his betrothed was only twelve. And he didn’t really know what to talk to her about. Not that he knew what to talk to girls about anyway.

“But she does seem as though she’s got some fire to her. I heard she gave Madame Ekaterina a right bollocking.” Pyotr said chuckling.

“So, that’s why Madame Ekaterina had such red eyes the other day.” Ivan said, his brow crinkling thoughtfully. “You know I think I like her.”

Vasili frowned. “Why because she gave her a bollocking?”

He would be the first to admit Madame Ekaterina wasn’t the best person. She was sharp and short, and her breath stank like rotten fish but still!

“Because she had the guts to stand up to the woman.” Ivan said. “We all know what that woman is like, I think anyone who has the guts to stand up to her deserves respect.”

Vasili considered this; he supposed his friend was right. Perhaps he had been too hard on his betrothed, but still, she was a girl. “She’s not going to be old enough for anything for a few years yet.” He said then as if that settled the matter. How wrong he was!

“But that just gives you more time to have some fun.” Ivan said.

“What do you mean?” Vasili asked.

Pyotr was the one who replied, and when he did so, his eyes glinted with mischief. “Well, we all know you’ve had eyes for Mashenka for some time. Perhaps this is the time to do something about it.”

“Mashenka?!” Vasili exclaimed. Mashenka was a serving girl who Vasili had known since childhood; she was betrothed to one of his father’s guards. Yes, she was beautiful but that was a line he couldn’t, wouldn’t cross.

“Yes, we’ve all seen how you look at her.” Pyotr said.

“But more importantly how she looks at you.” Mikhail, another one of his friends said, grinning wolfishly.

Vasili suddenly felt very uncomfortable. “She doesn’t look at me in any way.” God, I hope she doesn’t, I don’t want to get into a fight with her betrothed.

“Uh huh.” Mikhail said looking at him with dubious eyes. “Her eyes get larger every time she sees you. I think you should have some fun.”

“She is betrothed.” Vasili said sharply.

“And?” Pyotr asked. “Her betrothed is always off at the whorehouse. It wouldn’t make a difference if you were there first.”

“No.” Vasili said. “I will not do that.” He refused to do that, to be that sort of man.

His friends looked at one another and for a moment he worried that they would say something more, but instead they let the matter drop.

Pyotr then asked. “What do you make of Her Highness’ betrothed?”

Vasili sighed. His sister was betrothed to an Imeriti Prince, as part of the Tsar’s alliance with the boy’s father. There’d been a formal ceremony and everything earlier in the month and the Prince had come to reside at court with his family for a time.

“He is different.” Vasili said softly. Elena had started mooning over the Prince, claiming he was handsome and magnificent, but all Vasili saw was an arrogant boy.

“He stinks.” Pyotr said.

Vasili raised an eyebrow and Pyotr continued.

“Seriously, he smells strange.”

Vasili laughed. “That’s just because he’s probably been eating food we’re not accustomed to.”

“My father thinks the boy and his family are spies.” Ivan said.

Vasili looked at Ivan and asked. “What, the Shah’s sent them here to spy on us all?”

“Possibly. After all, who knows whether the Shah has sense or not.” Ivan said.

Vasili shook his head. “No, I don’t think that’s what this is.” He didn’t think his father would be foolish enough to accept a family if they were going to be spies for the enemy, or a former enemy. If the Tsar even suspected them, Vasili knew his father would have them out on their ears.

“So, why are they here?” Ivan asked.

“A mutual agreement.” Mikhail said then. Mikhail was wiser than all of them and more informed. His father sat on the Tsar’s council, and Mikhail himself was approaching the age where he would be expected to sit there as well.

“Mutual agreement?” Ivan asked.

“Trade.” Mikhail said, he refused to elaborate when pressed, which led Vasili to proclaim.

“I guess we’re just going to have to make sure nothing funny happens.” He didn’t think anything funny would happen. But you never knew with strangers.

Last edited: