Albion Rising: A Henry Frederick Timeline

I certainly hope Henry establishes into Law that any slaves who male it to the British New World colonies is a free person provided they will swear to live under British laws and customs- and it stays law until present day.

Nit sure the Bible does support slavery? Isn‘t God‘s children being free exactly what the Moses story was about?

Very glad Anna is ok, my gut feeling is Henry would become a tyrant if she was gone. Long life to the new twins.

Good luck to Robert- get back safe chap. Don’t be a fool.

Wanting concessions during War strikes me as a way of getting Parliament suspended for the duration.

Hope your man in Dublin is ready to resist a possible invasion Henry!

No news from France seems... Odd.

Good luck to Christian and Mary.
He’ll have his work cut out for him. And I think there are passages in favour of it. It’s an odd one.

and agreed.

oh indeed, Pam isn’t beinf smart.

and oh why so for France?

Speaking of war. But the Spanish princess is the Queen of Poland... So it is unlikely that Poland will be on the side of England in this war.
I doubt Poland would be picking any sides as it is far away from frontlines.
Unless Sweden sends aid to their Dutch in-laws, in which case Poles have the reason to get involved in the Baltics. And Wlad as King is going to be even more of a Navy enthusiast he was IOTL.

Spain is going to war with the Dutch - France has traditionally had issues with Spain, and while they are no friends of the Dutch or British, a chance for a young King to settle some scores seems to be too tempting, hence I would have thought we would have some movement from them by now.

Spain is going to war with the Dutch - France has traditionally had issues with Spain, and while they are no friends of the Dutch or British, a chance for a young King to settle some scores seems to be too tempting, hence I would have thought we would have some movement from them by now.
Oh they’ll be making moves soon ;)

He’ll have his work cut out for him. And I think there are passages in favour of it. It’s an odd one.

and agreed.

oh indeed, Pam isn’t beinf smart.

Britian does not have slavery at this point , not since the 11th Century. Technically, its literally impossible and so does not have a law explicilty banning it, as the law would be redundant ( its not till the 21st Century that a symbolic law that did nothing was actually passed ). All Henry has to do is say the colonies have to uphold the traditional liberties and freedoms of Britain and slavery becomes impossible in British America.

Rev

Banned
I think Poland wouldn’t get involved anyway. They’ve got no interest.
In reality, it has become, although only slightly. However, she was quickly distracted by the Turks.
I doubt Poland would be picking any sides as it is far away from frontlines.
This is if the emperor manages to keep the electors from entering the war. Otherwise, the front will very quickly approach Poland on its own.

This is if the emperor manages to keep the electors from entering the war. Otherwise, the front will very quickly approach Poland on its own.
The Big Polish Problem is that TTL Catherine of Sweden is married to Prince Maurice of Orange and not to a Count Palatine.
And Sweden is rather likely to pick a side, especially since Gustavus is all for Rd. 2 of the conflict.

Britian does not have slavery at this point , not since the 11th Century. Technically, its literally impossible and so does not have a law explicilty banning it, as the law would be redundant ( its not till the 21st Century that a symbolic law that did nothing was actually passed ). All Henry has to do is say the colonies have to uphold the traditional liberties and freedoms of Britain and slavery becomes impossible in British America.
19th century, and indeed though there was indentured Labour erc. In England itself somersets case declared that no man who could be a slave if he landed on English soil

19th century, and indeed though there was indentured Labour erc. In England itself somersets case declared that no man who could be a slave if he landed on English soil
19th Century? Thats slavery in the Empire ( which does not exist yet ITTL) not Britian , Somerset was 18th Century but was not new law, it was just a formal restatement of the position from the 11th Century that traditional liberties and freedoms meant slavery was an impossible state. So a simple declaration that colonies and territories have to abide by those traditional liberties and freedoms, makes slavery impossible.

19th Century? Thats slavery in the Empire ( which does not exist yet ITTL) not Britian , Somerset was 18th Century but was not new law, it was just a formal restatement of the position from the 11th Century that traditional liberties and freedoms meant slavery was an impossible state. So a simple declaration that colonies and territories have to abide by those traditional liberties and freedoms, makes slavery impossible.
19th century abolished in the empire, 18th century set it in common law, which was important given how prevalent slavery was in the empire at the time. But yes if henrh issues a proclamation or an act of parliament he should be good.

19th century abolished in the empire, 18th century set it in common law, which was important given how prevalent slavery was in the empire at the time. But yes if henrh issues a proclamation or an act of parliament he should be good.
Think thats a misstatement , Somerset did not change common law , it just confirmed slavery was never authorized by any statute and therefore there was no override of the common law. Common law prior to Somerset still does not allow slavery on British soil ( as opposed to colonies and territories due to changes that ITTL have not happened yet ) as being enslaved is not possible ( traditional freedoms and liberties prevent the state existing ).
What had developed was that colonies got the ability to ignore the traditional freedoms and liberties and make up their own rules. Thats not the situation yet as the colonies are still more like companies

Think thats a misstatement , Somerset did not change common law , it just confirmed slavery was never authorized by any statute and therefore there was no override of the common law. Common law prior to Somerset still does not allow slavery on British soil ( as opposed to colonies and territories due to changes that ITTL have not happened yet ) as being enslaved is not possible ( traditional freedoms and liberties prevent the state existing ).
What had developed was that colonies got the ability to ignore the traditional freedoms and liberties and make up their own rules. Thats not the situation yet as the colonies are still more like companies
Somerset confirmed that slavery was t permissible in England, confirming that it was a common law thing. I tbink we’re saying the same thing

Chapter 205: War

Chapter 205: War

June, 1623

Taking the town had been surprisingly easy. Gabriel and his army had turned up outside its walls and told the guardsmen who they were and why they were there, and the gates had been thrown open. Not a need of a single drop of blood to be spilt. Indeed, the citizens had cheered as they’d ridden in, and had presented the governor of the town to Gabriel, bound and gagged. Gabriel had listened as they’d listed the man’s crimes and then pronounced judgement.

The man was still swinging from one of the posts in the centre of town. He supposed that more than anything else showed why he was against the Habsburgs. They were despotic and they were cruel and their men were thugs. They cared not a whit for Hungary other than as a tool for their politics inside that façade of an Empire. Gabriel was sick of it. As were many others.

“Gentlemen.” He said, deciding to get right to the point. “This town and those like it are ours for the taking.” There were murmurs of appreciation at that. “But we must not get lazy. We cannot drop our guard.” To that end he looked at his second in command, Matthias Huynad and asked. “What is the state of the army?”

Huynad was the illegitimate son of some prominent Hungarian nobleman that Gabriel had known their entire lives. He trusted him more than anyone else. “The army’s morale is high, Sir. They are jubilant with success so far and are eager for more.”

“How soon could they march out for war?” Gabriel asked.

“Within a day or two.” Huynad said.

“Good. I want them prepared and I want our captains studying the defences of every town from here to Pressburg.” Gabriel said. He was not naïve enough to think that they’d get an open welcome everywhere they went.

“Yes, Sir.” Huynad said.

“And prepare for any suspicious movement from within a mile’s radius of the town.” Gabriel added. He was sure that once word got out, the Habsburgs would try and infiltrate his army.

“Sir.” Huynad said.

“Sir, if I might raise a question?” That was Stephan, another one of his long serving captains.

“Speak.” Gabriel commanded.

“Word of what we have done here will no doubt have already reached Pressburg, which means that the Palatine will be marshalling an army equipped with heavy weaponry. Weaponry that our army cannot hope to stand against. Not unless we gather more men and supplies.” Stephan said.

“What do you suggest?” Gabriel asked.

“There is an armoury and storage facility some three miles from here. Allow myself and a few of the men to ride out and take it, and ensure that it is for you, Sir.” Stephan said.

Gabriel considered this. It was a sensible plan, but something told him he shouldn’t give too many men away. “How many men would you require?” He asked.

“Roughly thirty, no more than that.” Stephan replied.

Thirty men was manageable, especially if they picked up more support along the way. “Very well, have them ready to go before first light tomorrow.” Gabriel commanded.

Stephan nodded, he rose, bowed and then departed.

Once he was gone, another one of his captains, Janos spoke. “What is the next step, Sir?”

“Pressburg.” Gabriel answered. “We must make Prague and Vienna see sense and the only way to do that is to ensure they are terrified.”

“Will you force the terms of peace on them, Sir?” Someone asked.

The terms of peace were what he’d started calling his written demands. They included a guarantee for the religious freedom for Protestants, the removal of unpopular officials and the rights of all nobility to vote in the diet regardless of their religious status. He knew that peacefully proposing this would get him nowhere so the only choice had been war.

“Yes.” Gabriel said simply.

“And what if they refuse?” Someone asked.

“Then we will depose them.” Gabriel said simply.

That provoked a lot of murmuring between some of his commanders. Gabriel remained silent. He understood why they were murmuring. The thought of deposing the Habsburgs was a terrifying one. They had ruled Hungary for a hundred years at this point and had ensured that the Kingdom had developed against the threat of the Ottomans. But there came a time when people had to stand up for themselves, whether they wanted to or not. And as far as Gabriel was concerned, this was their time.

“Would you claim the throne, Sir?” Janos asked.

“I would ask that the Diet elect a new King.” Gabriel said whether he ensured that the diet moved toward him was not something anyone here needed to know.

There were more murmurs and then someone else asked. “Would it not be better to remove Archduke Ferdinand as regent?”

Gabriel frowned. Archduke Ferdinand was serving as the King’s regent, it was true, and it was also true that he was a firm proponent of the counter-reformation. But whether removing him would bring any actual change, Gabriel didn’t know. His spies at the Royal Court in Prague stated that the King had been given a fairly rigid Catholic education, one that made it less likely that he would be willing to compromise.

“I do not think it would make a difference if the Archduke were removed,” Gabriel said then, considering his words. “The rot goes all the way to the top.”

That provoked more muttering. Someone even said. “But it would be like cutting one’s nose off to spite one’s face.”

Gabriel frowned; he had never liked that saying. “I disagree. We are fighting for our rights and survival. We must do what is necessary.”

In order to stop even more murmuring, Gabriel said. “We must get to Pressburg first. Focus on getting your men ready. We shall leave in two days’ time.” With any luck they would take Pressburg and the Palatine would agree to their demands. If not, well, he would follow through on his threat. They would not limply follow the Habsburgs anymore. Hungary would be freed!

I am interested in who the Brandenburg girls married TTL (namely Eleonora and Catherine).
Marie Eleonora makes a fascinating match with Christian of Brunswick-Wolfenbuttel (a clash of personalities would be something). Though Christian may marry his brother's widow, him wanting a girl closer to his own age and Anna Sophia remarrying elsewhere (i.e. TTL wife of Ulrich of Pomerania) makes more sence, especially if the dowry agreement is well-worded.

Or we can have an interesting situation when either Ulrich of Pomerania or his brother George II marries Dorothea of Brunswick-Wolfenbuttel, and Dorothea's OTL husband Christian Wilhelm of Brandenburg, Administrator of Magdeburg, marries Anne of Pomerania.
If the Ducal house of Pomerania goes extinct as OTL, and Anne produces a son (as she did OTL) with Christian Wilhelm of Brandenburg, we can have a Catholic (!) branch of Hohenzollerns as rightful heirs to Pomerania.

Anna Sophia of Brandenburg (if she is to remarry), Catherine of Brandenburg and their half-aunt Maria are subject to discussion - especially Catherine, as her OTL match is too risky. Anna may not decide to remarry, and Maria may well marry as OTL.

Also, would the Bohemian Regency try to cozy up to John George I of Saxony, using his pro-Imperial attitude by offering an Archduchess for his heir?

I am interested in who the Brandenburg girls married TTL (namely Eleonora and Catherine).
Marie Eleonora makes a fascinating match with Christian of Brunswick-Wolfenbuttel (a clash of personalities would be something). Though Christian may marry his brother's widow, him wanting a girl closer to his own age and Anna Sophia remarrying elsewhere (i.e. TTL wife of Ulrich of Pomerania) makes more sence, especially if the dowry agreement is well-worded.

Or we can have an interesting situation when either Ulrich of Pomerania or his brother George II marries Dorothea of Brunswick-Wolfenbuttel, and Dorothea's OTL husband Christian Wilhelm of Brandenburg, Administrator of Magdeburg, marries Anne of Pomerania.
If the Ducal house of Pomerania goes extinct as OTL, and Anne produces a son (as she did OTL) with Christian Wilhelm of Brandenburg, we can have a Catholic (!) branch of Hohenzollerns as rightful heirs to Pomerania.

Anna Sophia of Brandenburg (if she is to remarry), Catherine of Brandenburg and their half-aunt Maria are subject to discussion - especially Catherine, as her OTL match is too risky. Anna may not decide to remarry, and Maria may well marry as OTL.
I was thinking emeonora to Christian you know, would be intriguing to see how she develops there.
Also, would the Bohemian Regency try to cozy up to John George I of Saxony, using his pro-Imperial attitude by offering an Archduchess for his heir?
I could definitely see that