Albion Rising: A Henry Frederick Timeline

Um, the pedant in me must point out that "King of Spain" is anachronistic.
According to a certain website he'd be:
'In the 1604 Treaty of London, Philip was styled "Philip the Third, by the grace of God, king of Castile, Leon, Aragon and the Two Sicilies, Jerusalem, Portugal, Navarre, Granada, Toledo, Valencia, Galicia, the Majorcas, Seville, Cordoba, Corsica, Murcia, Guinea, Algarve, Gibraltar, the Canary Islands, also of the Eastern and Western Indies, and the islands and terra firma of the Ocean Sea, archduke of Austria, duke of Burgundy and Milan, count of Habsburg, Barcelona, and Biscay, and lord of Molina, etc." in full and "Philip III, King of the Spains" for short'
This is true, have edited :)

Last edited:
One hopes Filipito will be a little more reasonable towards the British.

I still suspect there is another hand in the tensions between them, or at least it could certainly be spun like that... :)

Phillip III's answers to his son on the Dutch and the British are ones that are safe for the Spanish/ Castilian establishment and probably the ones his father Phillip II would have given. I would argue reflect the biggest problem with Hapsburg Spain, newly crowned Henry IX in Britain certainly does think differently to his father not to mention the regent of the HRE compared with the last Emperor but I would argue Phillip III has managed to just be an extension of his father and he's set up his own son to be the same.

Chapter 190: Arguments Of Old

Chapter 190: Arguments Of Old

January, 1621

“Lady Urszula, Your Majesty.” The guard announced.

Anna put down the letter that she’d been reading-it seemed Wladyslaw was finding it challenging managing Poland and being a father at the same time-and said. “Show her in.”

The guard bowed, and hurried out, returning a few moments later with Lady Urszula, the woman who had served as Anna’s governess for many years and was now her daughters’ governess. The woman curtseyed. “Urszula.”

“Your Majesty.” The older woman said in English.

“You may go.” Anna said to the guard, who bowed and departed. Anna looked at her former governess and said. “Sit.” Changing to German. The woman sat.

Anna prepared herself for what was sure to be a heated conversation. Ever since her conversion to the Church of Britain, Henry had been putting pressure on her to change what their daughters were taught. No more influence of the old school, they were to be taught Protestant ethics, and Anna was unsure about whether Urszula would be willing to do that.

“I have asked you here today to discuss my daughters’ education.” Anna said softly. “Mainly the curriculum.”

“Of course, Your Majesty.” Urszula said.

“Firstly, I appreciate everything that you have done for myself and my daughters over the years, there has never been a more selfless servant.” Anna said. “However, the time has come for a change.”

“A change, Your Majesty?” Urszula asked.

“Yes.” Anna said, she took a deep breath. “I think the time has come for us to move away from the old system of education.”

“And replace it with what, Your Majesty?” Urszula asked.

“A firmer grounding in the reformed faith. A sign that they are Princesses of the Protestant United Kingdom, and that they are going to continue that tradition going forward.” Anna said.

“I see.” Urszula said, though she looked anything but happy.

“It will be a difficult change, I understand, given the implications for faith, but there is nothing there that I think will be objectionable.” Anna said.

Urszula nodded and then asked. “May I see the list of what I am to teach them?”

“Of course.” Anna replied, grabbing a book to her side and handing it over.

Urszula flicked through the book, her brow furrowing as she delved deeper into it. She stopped reading after a while and put the book down. Anna looked at her, waiting to hear what she had to say. The words that the woman did eventually say, came gradually, as if she was reluctant to say them. “I am afraid I cannot do this, Your Majesty.”

Anna had expected this, but still asked. “Why?”

“It goes against what I believe.” Urszula said.

“In what way?” Anna asked.

Urszula nodded to the book. “That is all about the reformed faith of this Kingdom, there is nothing about the true faith there. I cannot solely teach the reformed faith.”

“But you have no problem solely teaching the Catholic faith?” Anna asked.

“That is the one true religion, this is not.” Urszula said nodding to the book.

“You didn’t say anything before, when there was a mixed lesson going on.” Anna said, referring to the fact that her daughters got both Protestant and Catholic instruction as per an agreement with Henry.

“That was because there was an element of truth there.” Urszula said.

“And you think here there is not?” Anna asked.

“I know there is not, and Your Majesty knows it as well.” Urszula said.

Anna sighed. “Then I am afraid that you cannot continue as my daughters’ governess.” That was something she and Henry had argued over, she had wanted the woman to remain, Henry had been against it, had been against it from the moment Anna had converted.

Urszula did not seem surprised. Instead, she simply said. “I understand, Your Majesty. Might I make a recommendation for who to replace me with?”

Anna nodded and Urszula continued. “Lady Effingham, she is a good solid lady who has known the Princesses their entire lives.”

Anna nodded; she would take that into consideration. “Thank you.” She replied.

“There is one other thing that I wished to mention, Your Majesty.” Urszula said.

“And what is that?” Anna asked. Wondering if she was finally about to hear the tongue lashing for converting that she had long expected.

“I believe that His Majesty the King should allow the Marquess of Buckingham to marry Katherine Manners, Your Majesty.” Urszula said.

Anna blinked surprised. “Why?”

“Because she is a good Catholic and her father is fiercely loyal to His Majesty. It would do wonders to ensure that Buckingham does not stray too far from the path. As I know Your Majesty fears he might.” Urszula said.

Anna wasn’t sure what to say to that, so she simply nodded and said. “I will take the suggestion to the King.”

Urszula smiled. “Thank you, Your Majesty.”

Anna blinked as she felt tears well up in her eyes. She sniffled and then said. “Thank you for everything Urszula. Will you stay?” Stay in Britain with them and serve as always.

The older woman smiled sadly. “If Your Majesty will allow me to stay, then I will happily stay.”

“Yes, of course, I would love for you to stay.” Anna said, she couldn’t imagine how she would cope without the older woman.

The woman smiled genuinely this time and asked. “If there is naught else, Your Majesty, might I beg your leave?”

Anna nodded. “Of course.” The older woman rose, curtseyed and then departed, leaving Anna alone.

Though not for long for the doors to her room opened shortly afterward and Henry entered. He looked exhausted, he sat down in the chair that Urszula had just vacated and looked at her. “How did it go?” He asked.

“About as well as can be expected.” Anna answered. “She won’t be our daughters’ governess anymore, but she will remain here.”

Henry nodded. “And who did she recommend replace her?”

“Lady Effingham.” Anna said.

“I see.” Henry said.

Anna nodded. “Let’s not make that decision until tomorrow.” Henry took her hand then in silent acknowledgement.

Phillip III's answers to his son on the Dutch and the British are ones that are safe for the Spanish/ Castilian establishment and probably the ones his father Phillip II would have given. I would argue reflect the biggest problem with Hapsburg Spain, newly crowned Henry IX in Britain certainly does think differently to his father not to mention the regent of the HRE compared with the last Emperor but I would argue Phillip III has managed to just be an extension of his father and he's set up his own son to be the same.
Oh interesting, also, Albert's not regent for the Empire, he is the Emperor :).

What are Henry’s feelings about his fathers death?
You'll come to see that soon.

I wonder if any of Henry’s and Anna’s children will be allowed to marry Catholics given Henry’s more strict views on faith. OTL it wasn’t until much later where such marriages were banned

I wonder if any of Henry’s and Anna’s children will be allowed to marry Catholics given Henry’s more strict views on faith. OTL it wasn’t until much later where such marriages were banned
I think given his own marriage, he may well concede to allowing the marriage going ahead, if there's a strategic benefit to it.

A shame there was no space in the curriculum for a mixed Protestant/Catholic message that Urszula could teach.

Nice that Anna's old friend is staying in Britain though so she will have a familiar face around. I am sure Urszula will find work.

What happened to ex-Lord Suffolk's manservant btw?

A shame there was no space in the curriculum for a mixed Protestant/Catholic message that Urszula could teach.

Nice that Anna's old friend is staying in Britain though so she will have a familiar face around. I am sure Urszula will find work.

What happened to ex-Lord Suffolk's manservant btw?
That’s the tbing there was before but bow it’s changed and she’d need to be responsible for that change thay doesn’t sit with her .

he’ll be appearing soon:)

Spain around this time is an interesting question of "if you give a nation that is entirely backwards in its ideas lots of money - will it be able to hold back the tides of change"...

The answer being no.

Spain around this time is an interesting question of "if you give a nation that is entirely backwards in its ideas lots of money - will it be able to hold back the tides of change"...

The answer being no.
They do really lack someone with the force of will to crush the opposition don't they?

Chapter 191: Debenoir

Chapter 191: Debenoir

April, 1621

“Anna and Karl seem to be getting on well.” Isabella said.

“Hm.” Albert replied.

“That is good is it not? It means they’re less likely to come to hate one another when they get older.” Isabella said, which was definitely important, after all, they would be ruling the territory together, and nobody wanted them sniping at each other.

“I agree.” Albert said.

“But?” Isabella asked.

Albert sighed. “Karl is far too clever for his own good.”

Isabella raised an eyebrow. “What do you mean?”

“He knows the entire writings of Tacitus and he’s only twelve. He knows and understands Dante’s Inferno, and he’s only twelve. A boy his age shouldn’t know so much.” Albert said.

Especially given who his father is. Isabella thought to herself, but aloud she merely asked. “Is that going to be a problem?”

“I think if we manage to channel it properly, it won’t be.” Albert answered.

“And how do we channel it properly?” Isabella asked.

“Well, I’ve changed his lesson plan, given him something more challenging to work with. I’ve also instructed the Bishop to provide some moral lessons to him on a more serious theological level.” Albert said.

“And you think that will help him?” Isabella asked.

“I think so.” Albert said.

“Good, as long as he remembers who his Sovereign is.” Isabella said. She didn’t want a situation where after she and Albert were gone, Karl started lording it over their daughter. That would be most unacceptable.

“Of course.” Albert said. “We’ve got two years before they are to marry regardless, so there’s plenty of time.”

“Good.” Isabella said.

“Any news from Madrid?” Albert asked, changing the topic of conversation then.

“Yes, actually.” Isabella said. “Though you likely already know, the Prince and Princess of Asturias have had a son.” Felipe had sent word that had arrived earlier today. He seemed terribly excited by it in his letter, and rightly so, the succession was secure for the time being and the French girl had shown that she could do her duty.

“I had seen that there was a letter from Madrid amongst my papers.” Albert acknowledged, but as always he’d been too busy to read it. “What have they named the boy?”

“Take a guess.” Isabella said.

“Philipp.” Albert replied grinning when Isabella nodded.

“You’d think that with such a rich history another name might be chosen, but no, they go for the same name.” Isabella said exasperatedly.

“It is a good name with honourable connotations to your father.” Albert pointed out.

“I know, but still.” Isabella said. “Either way I think this might give my brother peace of mind.”

Albert frowned. “What do you mean? You think he’ll go?”

“I think so.” Isabella said. “He’s not been well over the last few months and now that there’s a grandson, he might consider it time to go.”

“But still, that’s only one child, surely he’d wait a little longer before giving up the fight?” Albert asked.

Isabella shook her head. “I’m not so sure. His letters indicate that he’s had enough.” Indeed, her brother seemed to have had enough a long time ago, and had only been clinging on until his son was settled.

“I suppose we’d best start considering our choices then.” Albert said.

Isabella cocked her head to one side. “What do you mean?”

“I continue to hear rumours that the King of the British Isles intends to go to war with Madrid, that he is building up his navy and his army in preparation for this. I also hear that he is speaking with the Republic to build up an alliance that could threaten Madrid’s trade.” Albert said. “Such an alliance would be dangerous for us, given our trade position.”

“And if Philipp dies and his son comes to the throne there’s no guarantee that the current peace will hold.” Isabella surmised.

“Exactly. If the peace doesn’t hold, we need to be neutral, otherwise our economy will not survive.” Albert added.

“So, what do you plan on doing?” Isabella asked.

“I have a meeting with the British ambassador tomorrow. I’ll try and get a sense of where King Henry is leaning and whether there are any incentives that can be offered to ensure that he doesn’t stray too far across that line.” Albert said.

“And if it comes back that there is nothing that can be offered?” Isabella asked, she didn’t think they could survive a war, not if it meant that their land got invaded.

“Then I will declare neutrality and enforce it rigidly.” Albert said simply.

Isabella nodded. “I can write to Philipp and see if we can get him to see reason.” She doubted whether her brother would be in the mood for such a discussion though, what with his illness and all.

Albert nodded. “I will also get in touch with the Prince of Orange as well, see whether he can be made to see reason.”

Isabella frowned, she doubted that Maurice of Nassau would ever be able to see reason. The man was a warmonger who had helped solidify the Republic’s position. She sincerely doubted that he’d ever give up the chance of further humiliating her brother or nephew. “I’m not sure that will work.”

“Why? Because of his reputation?” Albert asked.

“Yes.” Isabella said.

Albert sighed. “If this was a decade ago, I would agree with you, but Maurice has children now. He has something to protect and live for. I cannot see him wanting to embark on such a dangerous venture that would endanger him and his family’s safety.”

“On the contrary, I think it gives him every reason to try it again.” Isabella said. “He wants to leave something for his family. He wants to create something that would make them proud. I doubt he will not get involved. Especially if we are neutral.”

Albert exhaled. “I will approach him nonetheless and try and keep the peace.”

“Fine.” Isabella said. “But don’t be surprised when it doesn’t end the way you want it to.”

Be very interesting if Albert and Isabella managed to hold the peace between Britain and Spain, esp if they do not demand anything from the two powers but peace.

Karl sounds like a clever kid, hope his future marriage is equal and happy.

Be very interesting if Albert and Isabella managed to hold the peace between Britain and Spain, esp if they do not demand anything from the two powers but peace.

Karl sounds like a clever kid, hope his future marriage is equal and happy.
It’ll definitely be an interesting time ahead :)

When Anna and Karl marry, will the Spanish Netherlands then become an independent Habsburg HRE state? Kinda like Austria? And if so, what will it be named? Flanders, Belgium, Burgundy or something entirely else?