AHQ/AHC: Superhero technology diffusion?

This has bugged me for years...

Marvel & DC are both guilty of it. They grant, frex, Bats & IM really high tech, but never show any of it diffusing out into society at large. At one time, the IM writers actually straight-out said IM tech was spun off for commercial customers, but never showed any of it. Even stuff you might expect, like (frex) SWAT units (to handle supervillains) getting repulsor rifles & Raider-style shields.

Thus, this question (or challenge): what would such a diffusion look like? What sorts of influences could/would IM-style tech have on the civilian world? (I'm sticking to IM, since I'm far less familiar with the state of play at DC; anybody wants to draw similar parallels using Wayne Enterprises, or LuthorCorp, have at it.)

Would the civilian world end up more/less recognizable? Or would it change so enormously we'd hardly know it? (I frankly have no idea...)

The one of the greatest superpower is to be absurdly rich.

Now doing the Story straight, Stark Industries stuff would be like Apple, Facebook and Tesla all rolled into to one, would be the high tech 'We Bring good things to Life'

but that divorces the story too far from reality.

Like with Dr Who, you think there would be some memory of all the failed alien attacks on Earth all thru history changing things, but zero impact on culture going forward

The existence of Alien Life, would be huge, let alone that there are real life stellar empires out there
Now DC used to go onto that somewhat in pre-Crisis with Earth 2 looking very different from Earth 1, with Heroes aging and events changing outlooks

Thus, this question (or challenge): what would such a diffusion look like? What sorts of influences could/would IM-style tech have on the civilian world?
You should be able to massively improve prosthetics. Wearable technology should be improved some as well. The interface system would be a huge step in VR technology.

The Arc reactor is, of course, comic science but if you have such an energy dense power source you would see the power distribution change like crazy, including mobile, power heavy technologies,

Now doing the Story straight, Stark Industries stuff would be like Apple, Facebook and Tesla all rolled into to one, would be the high tech 'We Bring good things to Life'

but that divorces the story too far from reality.
I imagine Tony being a bit like Elon Musk with a touch of James Bond. His private life, we never really get to see, except very occasional dropped references. (And the writer missed the boat on it, giving him a clutch of TR7s, when they probably should have been 911s or 308s... :rolleyes: )
The existence of Alien Life, would be huge, let alone that there are real life stellar empires out there
I'm not even going to touch what that would do. Society would be unrecognizable...

There is a conceit at Marvel, New Yorkers being blasé about superheroes; the writers might be taking that to an extreme...
You should be able to massively improve prosthetics. Wearable technology should be improved some as well. The interface system would be a huge step in VR technology.
Absolutely. (Given the interface tech isn't considered too "IM-spec" to release...)

I was thinking the boot jets could be a very big deal for fire & rescue, but they might be too IM-spec... (Unless we accept Tony releasing variants used by less-effective baddies...)
The Arc reactor is, of course, comic science but if you have such an energy dense power source you would see the power distribution change like crazy, including mobile, power heavy technologies,
I can see heavy transport vehicles (especially trains, maybe trucks {too small?}, maybe ships {too big to scale up?) being radically different.

I mean Watchmen does a pretty good job of showing superhero impact on technology trends. In a generally "realistic" scenario with nothing but a few science heroes running around it's easier to conceive of proliferating technology, in a mainline comic book universe it would drive vast sectors of the economy to obsolescence and completely change our way of life, it's why Elijah Snow only succeeded in transforming technology with superscience in literally the last issue of Planetary.

Last edited:
I mean Watchmen does a pretty good job of showing superhero impact on technology trends. In a generally "realistic" scenario with nothing but a few science heroes running around it's easier to conceive of proliferating technology, in a mainline comic book universe it would drive vast sectors of the economy to obsolescence and completely change our way of life, it's why Elijah Snow only succeeded in transforming technology with superscience in literally the last issue of Planetary.
Watchmen shows almost no technical effect, because (except for Jon), none of Alan's heroes have or use exceptional tech.

The cultural effect of the Minutemen, & later the Watchmen, he more/less ignores, except for a handful of references. (The existence of pirate comics is a Thing, which I find odd.)

I tend to agree, the typical superhero universe should see large parts of our economy transformed beyond recognition; the mere ability to build SHIELD's flying cars or IM's armor would suggest a lot of things to other people: even if you don't know how it's done, just knowing it can be would be a big help.

There is also the fact that magic and mythology being real would also be a massive impact as well.

The cultural effect of the Minutemen, & later the Watchmen, he more/less ignores, except for a handful of references. (The existence of pirate comics is a Thing, which I find odd.)
Since costumed heroes serve a propaganda function the Comics Code is never adopted and EC Comics goes ahead with an OTL plan to diversify into pirate comics just as public attitudes toward the real costumed heroes begins to turn sour postwar. Also, given the fact that masks are real comics about them would fill a niche more similar to crime comics than what we'd think of as cape comics, further limiting their appeal.

Watchmen shows almost no technical effect, because (except for Jon), none of Alan's heroes have or use exceptional tech.
Apart from the aforementioned electric cars we have the scenes of air traffic lanes in New York full of airships, Rohrschach's mask is a commercially available smart material not some custom device and Bubastis is a prototype of commercial genetic engineering, all by the early 80's, this is just off the top of my head form borrowing the comic for the library

Apart from the aforementioned electric cars we have the scenes of air traffic lanes in New York full of airships, Rohrschach's mask is a commercially available smart material not some custom device and Bubastis is a prototype of commercial genetic engineering, all by the early 80's, this is just off the top of my head form borrowing the comic for the library
It's been too long since I read it... :oops::oops::oops:
Since costumed heroes serve a propaganda function the Comics Code is never adopted and EC Comics goes ahead with an OTL plan to diversify into pirate comics just as public attitudes toward the real costumed heroes begins to turn sour postwar. Also, given the fact that masks are real comics about them would fill a niche more similar to crime comics than what we'd think of as cape comics, further limiting their appeal.
The lack of interest in (demand for) superhero books I got. I would have expected true crime/detective (EQ or Maze Agency) & horror to be the top sellers. Pirates? Never.
There is also the fact that magic and mythology being real would also be a massive impact as well.
Magic being real might be less an issue, seeing not just anybody appears able to learn it (as I recall).

I don't recall anybody ever saying there were limits on the practical utility of magic, so mass production of flying rings and such might be possible...

It's been too long since I read it... :oops::oops::oops:
It's always worth a reread!
The lack of interest in (demand for) superhero books I got. I would have expected true crime/detective (EQ or Maze Agency) & horror to be the top sellers. Pirates? Never.
To be fair pirates are just one subset of a far more diverse medium in the Watchmen universe, just the segment that absorbed the attention of the action oriented comics reader that fueled superhero dominance under the Comics Code. From an authorial perspective Moore said pirates were just what he imagined he'd be writing in a world where capes fell out of fashion in the late forties.

For Marvel, robots like the Sentinels could be adapted to automate virtually all manual labour and transform Earth into a post-scarcity civilisation.

I mean, Reed Richards would make Jeff Bezos look only somewhat rich from all the money he should make if he bothered to actually market his inventions. There's a reason why the "Reed Richards is useless" trope exists.

I mean, Reed Richards would make Jeff Bezos look only somewhat rich from all the money he should make if he bothered to actually market his inventions. There's a reason why the "Reed Richards is useless" trope exists.
I mean he is rich, and it's exclusively from people paying him to withhold inventions from the market

IMO, the writers should have just made all his inventions depend on some exotic power source or material that he can't produce in large quantities.