AHC: Smallest, most desolate rump state possible

In The New Order: Last Days of Europe (yet another Axis victory timeline), Free France is a rump state led by Charles de Gaulle. It consists of what is modern day Ivory Coast (a large part of which is under constant bombardment by Germany, so it's really only the coastline they have control over until the German Civil War kicks off), and the Kerguelen Islands. Everything else that was once part of the French Empire has been picked off by someone or another. If the Free French lose the West African War, the Ivory Coast will fall too and they will be forced to relocate to Kerguelen - an extremely isolated island that can, at best, support a population of a few hundred people. Thus, one of the most powerful empires in the world has been reduced to a handful of stubborn holdouts subsisting off of cabbages, rabbits and sheep (and raw hatred for the Germans, in de Gaulle's case) at the ass end of nowhere. All in all, a ridiculous and less than realistic outcome.

But it got me thinking, what is the smallest and most desolate that a rump state could feasibly be? For the purposes of this challenge, it MUST be a rump state, not a government-in-exile, so some remnant of a previously legitimate government has to maintain control over a small slice of its former territory. IMO, some of the factors necessary for a really small rump state to exist that should be considered are:

1. Lack of acceptable destinations. The larger an empire is, the more places it can relocate to in case the metropole falls. If the only place within the empire available is some godforsaken backwater, you still need;

2. Determination. Or more accurately, stubbornness and pride preventing the holdouts from trying to reconcile with the metropole on acceptable terms or giving up the cause and going into exile to a decent location. (De Gaulle could seek asylum in, say, Quebec. Hell, he'd probably be given a hero's welcome for resisting so long, but he can't, because giving up would mean that despite all those years of resistance, he and his dream of a Free France have failed.) And even if you're determined to stay, you still need;

3. Foreign apathy. Disinterest from other state actors in moving into the territory of the rump state. This is the sticking point, as there are few lands in the world that won't be fair game.

Some ideas/possibilities/information that came to mind while I was brainstorming about this when I should have been sleeping (note that they are also unrealistic, but maybe they will inspire some ideas or discussion):

A) Pitcairn Islands. "Least populous national jurisdiction in the world". Something bad happens in the UK, and for some reason most of the Commonwealth washes their hands of the government, so the Prime Minister has to relocate to Adamstown? Problems 1 and 2 arise, surely they would have SOMEWHERE else to go, and even if they don't, they'll just relocate to the States as a government-in-exile or private individuals if need be.

B) Russian concession of Tianjin. Bolshevik Revolution results in a Red Russia, with some stubborn White forces choosing to relocate here instead. Problem 3 arises, the Chinese would move in and occupy the place as they did OTL.

C) Fort of São João Baptista de Ajudá. Tiny little enclave the Portuguese had in Benin. And I mean tiny - it had a population of fucking TWO (2) when they relinquished it. Maybe an earlier Carnation Revolution leads to most of the Empire getting picked off by one vulture or another, and a salty Salazar moves to this little fort to stew in anger? Problem 3 again, the locals would take it.

D) Bouvet Island. Most isolated piece of land on the planet, belongs to Norway. Maybe the Nazis occupy the country and all of its territories, leaving only this hunk of rock? Problems 1 and 2 again.

So what are your ideas? What is the smallest and most desolate a rump state could feasibly be in your opinion? Remember, the smaller (both in land and population) and more isolated, the better!

Note: I put this in After 1900 because it seems to me that borders became better defined/stricter than in previous centuries, and an isolated rump state couldn't survive on its own before transportation improved.

Last edited:
An Andorra whose co-Prince, as a result of quirks of the Andorran diarchy resulting in the Bourbons remaining Co-Prince of Andorra after 1848, still claims the title of King of France even though France had been a republic for a very long time? It would be the Kingdom of France in the sense the Kazakh SSR was the USSR for four days or Elizabeth II holds the Duchy of Normandy, but still.

Last edited:
that little unclaimed triangle between Egypt and Sudan?
Bir Tawil. Someone has to live there though, can't just be straight up terra nullius :D

An Andorra whose co-Prince, as a result of quirks of the Andorran diarchy resulting in the Bourbons remaining Co-Prince of Andorra after 1848, still claims the title of King of France even though France had been a republic for a very long time? It would be the Kingdom of France in the sense the Kazakh SSR was the USSR for four days or Elizabeth II holds the Duchy of Normandy, but still.
Neat idea! I suppose technically it counts, but I would prefer a rump state that explicitly calls itself by the name of its former country (in this case, France)

Neat idea! I suppose technically it counts, but I would prefer a rump state that explicitly calls itself by the name of its former country (in this case, France)
On a similar note, an Ottoman Empire reduced to Ada Kaleh could count as well in a scenario where the Greeks take Constantinople in the Turkish War of Independence with neither the Orthodox Greeks nor the Republican Turks wanting to do anyhting with the Sultan-Caliph resulting in the Sultan-Caliph being sent off to Ada Kaleh in TTL's Lausanne Conference, which would be the location of the Ottoman Empire/Caliphate from then on.

I got another idea. Baarle-Hertog. In WW1 the Belgian exclaves in neutral Holland remained unoccupied by the Germans. Maybe if the Germans win at a very heavy cost and somehow fuck up relations with the Dutch bad enough, the Netherlands might be content to maintain the status quo and leave the exclaves be?

On a similar note, an Ottoman Empire reduced to Ada Kaleh could count as well in a scenario where the Greeks take Constantinople in the Turkish War of Independence with neither the Orthodox Greeks nor the Republican Turks wanting to do anyhting with the Sultan-Caliph resulting in the Sultan-Caliph being sent off to Ada Kaleh in TTL's Lausanne Conference, which would be the location of the Ottoman Empire/Caliphate from then on.
I think that works pretty well. Any idea what the population would be?

Actually now that I read a bit about it, it seems that Romania will take over as in OTL, so it probably can't last

West Austria, in a TL where the Soviets keep their occupation Zone of East Austria
1659585883238.png

Would the cliche of Alaska being a White Taiwan where the Whites flee there after losing the Russian Civil War work for this or is it too big (even if 95% of it is practically uninhabited)?

Would the cliche of Alaska being a White Taiwan where the Whites flee there after losing the Russian Civil War work for this or is it too big (even if 95% of it is practically uninhabited)?
Ehhhh, I suppose it works, but the problem is that there's a lot of natural resources there, which in the long term will attract more people and make the place less desolate

I wonder how small the Vatican City could have ended up. No points available for isolation, but its cultural cachet could stabilize a sovereign state almost too tiny for habitation.

I wonder how small the Vatican City could have ended up. No points available for isolation, but its cultural cachet could stabilize a sovereign state almost too tiny for habitation.
I considered jokingly suggesting a rump Vatican, but I had no idea which buildings were "essential" for the Holy See to have in its own separate jurisdiction

I considered jokingly suggesting a rump Vatican, but I had no idea which buildings were "essential" for the Holy See to have in its own separate jurisdiction
Or a Knights of Malta situation where the Church has sovereignty but no territory (its headquarters has the legal status of embassies, not sovereign territory).