Ahc: screw the Kriegsmarine even harder

Well we know that the Kriegsmarine is quite screwed in ww2 so can we screwed it even harder? Like wasting resources, poor uboat performance,etc.

The reason why i started this thread is because i usually sees thread about better kriegsmarine so i want to see how can we screwed them hard.

Oh yea POD must be after the fall of Norway because i dont want too see them getting absolutely curbstomp at operation Weserübung.

Bismarck gets hit by the Hood and explodes before she can do any damage with Prinz Eugen then promptly dying to a hail of heavy caliber gunfire and the torpedoes that hit the Ark Royal and Barham are duds

Driftless

Donor
Bismarck gets hit by the Hood and explodes before she can do any damage with Prinz Eugen then promptly dying to a hail of heavy caliber gunfire and the torpedoes that hit the Ark Royal and Barham are duds
That would be both a tremendous tactical defeat and a crushing blow to German morale in general. Would Hitler dismiss Raeder and shift away from building a surface fleet, or double down and really divert resources to attempt building an invincible navy? My bet is that Raeder goes and there would be a building hiatus, before the generals persuade Adolf to largely commit the resources to the Heer.

Wait, the Bismarck is one shotted by the Hood, then is destroyed by the Hood again?

Do you mean the Prinz Eugen is sunk by Hood and Prince of Wales?

nbcman

Donor
Well we know that the Kriegsmarine is quite screwed in ww2 so can we screwed it even harder? Like wasting resources, poor uboat performance,etc.

The reason why i started this thread is because i usually sees thread about better kriegsmarine so i want to see how can we screwed them hard.

Oh yea POD must be after the fall of Norway because i dont want too see them getting absolutely curbstomp at operation Weserübung.
That's pretty close to OTL. The KM forces involved in the invasion of Norway were mostly sunk or damaged so there's not much else to sink.

Scharnhorst and Gneisenau could get sunk sailing back to Germany after their damage in Norway or they could be sunk if they disobey their orders and try to engage British BBs during Operation Berlin.

Or maybe the Germans are crazy enough to initially attempt the USM and they send three CLs off on a snipe hunt (Operation Herbstreise) where they are intercepted and sunk.

France holds and the Kriegsmarine is still restricted to bases in the North Sea. (This also means the north of Norway isn't evacuated in early June, it also probably keeps Italy neutral)

Every German sub that tries to sneak past Gilbarter is sunk before it enters the Mediterranean Sea. You could also have the French Navy instead of surrendering and their ships scuddled/destroyed remain active under a French/UK banner with the French crews wanting to fight on. Would give the Germans a rougher time in either the Med or Atlantic depending on how you deploy them.

Could have a couple of explosions in the dry docks where German subs are built. Slowing production until they are repaired.

The US could be wacky and in ASB territory sell/lend a couple of Carriers to the UK for some bigger islands in the Caribbean. This one is ASB.

Major sinking early in the war that leads to a large number of dead Americans, the US declares war before Christmas in 1939.

Both torpedos fired at the Athenia hit an explode and she only has time to get off a single distress signal before going to the bottom with 90% of the passengers and crew? This turns US public opinion against Germany and the invasion of neutral European nations causes enough outrage that the US declares war on May 12th.

Last edited:
That would be both a tremendous tactical defeat and a crushing blow to German morale in general. Would Hitler dismiss Raeder and shift away from building a surface fleet, or double down and really divert resources to attempt building an invincible navy? My bet is that Raeder goes and there would be a building hiatus, before the generals persuade Adolf to largely commit the resources to the Heer.
I actually agree on the idea that Hitler still stubborn and wanted to create more shiny mega warship while screwing the uboat devolepment only too see those mega warship getting sunked by the allied powers

Last edited:

Driftless

Donor
The weather clears somewhat at an opportune time and Operation Cerberus (The Channel Dash) doesn't go as well for the Kriegsmarine. Either, or both of the Twins get torpedoed badly enough by aircraft where they're in the body and fender shop for an extended stretch. Or, a British submarine or two are able to get more substantive hits with the larger torpedos.

Churchill orders a maximum Bomber Command effort to destroy the twins in Brest and that it continue until that is achieved. A week of 5 - 6 hundred bomber raids on the port should do the trick.

A sub torpedoes Bismark hitting her rudders....out of control she ploughs into Prinz Eugen allowing the sub to casually fire another salvo into the mass.

Or Bismark hits and uncharted rock pinacle that rips the hull open.....

nbcman

Donor
So how can we screw the uboat at the battle of atlantic?
Go the USN route of 1941/1942: Raeder and Doenitz don't believe Prien and other u-boat commanders about the torpedo issues in 1940. Not only do they not fix their torpedoes, they sack commanders for 'timidity' or 'incompetence'. Subsequent u-boat commanders are more aggressive and more u-boats are sunk by the RN. Hitler eventually blows a gasket due to the poor results and stops sub production and surface vessel production after sacking both Raeder and Doenitz.