AHC: Prevent a hated fictional character from becoming hated

What was so horrible about the way she was written?
She was annoying, pretentious, arrogant, opinionated, overly-emotional (especialy for a Vulcan). Also she made no sense to be aboard the Enterprise, especialy as the second in command. And she brought out the worst in Archer.

I think I said it before, but I hate T'Poll on a subconsious level. I once watched an episode of Stargate in which her actress plaid a role, but I did not recognise her. I immediatly hated her character, even though there was no reason for me to hate het. Only when I found out the character was played by T'Poll's actress, I understood why I hated the character.

On another note talking about Jar Jar Bins another character who could've been better is Anakin Skywalker who IMO came across as a whiny emo, now I don't blame Hayden Christiansen but George Lucas as while he's great at coming up with the whole story concept he appears to be not that good at writing dialogue (I do believe that was one of Sir Alec's complaints about Star Wars).
This is why Clone Wars Anakin is, and always shall be, the superior Anakin.

Basically, make movie-Anakin be more like Clone Wars Anakin.

It's funny - I'm trying to think of fixing the character I hate the most from science fiction, but I hate them so much I don't want to put in the energy to fix them. And it'd only be the tip of the iceberg with the production in question.

This is why Clone Wars Anakin is, and always shall be, the superior Anakin.

Basically, make movie-Anakin be more like Clone Wars Anakin.
CWA is actually a heroic figure whose inevitable fall is tragic, especially since he sees it's coming with a few prophecies.

MA is... not.

What about Neelix from Star Trek: Voyager?
Make him more wayward traveler who knows the Delta Quadrant between where the Caretaker was and where Voyager needs to go like the back of his hand. Make him know "oh hey, we're not going within five light years of here, the people are insane" or make him useful as a morale officer/guide/interpreter/Renaissance man. Make him actually funny like Bashir or The Doctor (the EMH).

Honestly, he should have been a bit more like Han Solo: shady, a bit self-serving, but a good person underneath all the snark and jaded walls.

There's a pretty obvious flaw in Neelix's characterization - the further Voyager goes from Ocampa and Talaxian space, the less useful he's going to be.
Which is why I'd suggest making him a traveler who knows the Delta Quadrant pretty well. Or, even if he's never been to a particular system before, he knows from a smuggler friend of his about it. He has either first- or second-hand knowledge (occasionally third-hand: friend of a friend) of most of the Delta Quadrant. With the occasional system or area that he's never heard of and so he's a bit out of his depth.

Which is why I'd suggest making him a traveler who knows the Delta Quadrant pretty well. Or, even if he's never been to a particular system before, he knows from a smuggler friend of his about it. He has either first- or second-hand knowledge (occasionally third-hand: friend of a friend) of most of the Delta Quadrant. With the occasional system or area that he's never heard of and so he's a bit out of his depth.
All you're doing now is reminding me how godawful he was.

Which ones?
The character I hate most would probably be Gary Goodspeed from Final Space. And quite frankly, I hate the whole fucking show save one character (Ash Graven) who was turned into a gibbering monster of a villain in the most offensive depiction of depression I have ever seen (I have depression, so this an absolute berserker button for me). But I really am ranting too much about this show on this board so I'll leave it there.

I think another character from Voyager that could've been done better is Chuckles err Chakotay.
Dad and I would joke he was always playing games on that little armrest computer of his.

I think it's equally telling Beltran thought he wasn't given much to do - which I remember Denise Crosby saying the same thing.

Olaf isn’t hated but very divisive and the biggest reason for his hatedom from what I can tell is that his humor and sweetness can be seen as a cynical attempt to sell toys.

Heh if they're singling Olaf out for that corporate sin, I humbly suggest they've missed the wood for that particular tree!

Last edited:
In regards to Star Trek, some examples from my absolute least favourite series by far, Lower Decks:
  • Captain Carol Freeman - why is she captain? WHY? She is absolutely terrible. Of all of the Cerritos' senior staff, she is definitely my least favourite (the others are fine)
  • Ensign Beckett Mariner - about 70% of the reason why I dislike the series is her specifically. Most of the rest is a combination of the ridiculously fast pacing and the style of humour (also, the bombardment of easter eggs, but that isn't as much of a deal breaker)
Admittedly, I gave up on the series after only the first four episodes, so I cannot comment on whether they actually improve or not.

I've already mentioned her twice but what about Dr. Pulaski from S2 TNG?
I actually liked her a lot, she reminded me a lot of Bones.
Make her dislike of Data be as lighthearted and fun as OG series was with Spock, make more scenes where she is friendly to Worf and Data.
My take on Anakin, i have 2:
1)He's a older, earlier 20s Smuggler type, like Han was in EP4, the Naboo cruiser crashes in Tatooine (let's say they get the parts, but at the last moment, the Ship is blown up by one of the drones sent by Maul), they desperately need help to escape and he needs the cash, his mother is part of the crew, and she's the military powerful woman trope, she dies sacrificing herself for Ani at the climax of EP1, on the Droid starship, making the start of Anakin's dark side.
2)He's a older slave refugee, raised by sand people and waging a war against the Hutts and their slavers, he's bright and charismatic, but hard boiled, again, like han was, they use his troops and base to escape the droids, and he enlists the jedi in a mission to free his mother and other slaves, sadly they rescue the slaves but anakin loses his mother in the shootout, ad a impassionate leia like speech from padme when her guards and the jedi try to ignore the suffering of the slaves on her own security.
Make Jar-jar not a complete dumbass, but a lazy man, escaping from responsibility and a ton of debt he has, he's not smart, but he's street savvy and he helps the jedi, in the climax of the film, he finally decides to take a stand for himself and help the jedi by outsmarting the droids.