AHC: Ottoman Empire Reconquers Greece

With a PoD after 1832, is it possible to see the Ottoman Empire reconquer Greece? I’m assuming they’d make it an autonomous vassal like Romania.

With a PoD after 1832, is it possible to see the Ottoman Empire reconquer Greece? I’m assuming they’d make it an autonomous vassal like Romania.

Ehhh no. There are numerous reasons:

1. Internal conflict: There was already a conflict with Mehmed Ali Pasha of Egypt. Assuming that Egypt still beats the shit out of the Ottoman Armies the Ottomans have no power for a potential attack on Greece.

2. But let say they do beat Mehmed Ali Pasha and execute him afterwards. The first thing that would happen in such conflict is a Russian intervention and most likely a French and British one as well. There is no chance or whatsoever to attack Greece.

So there is no succes with war due to immediate intervention. The Russian troops were already in Wallachia and Moldova.

Do you want Greece as a vassal? Make them an economic vassal. First try to modernise asap, more modern than the Russians. By the 1880s, if you haven't lost the Balkans yet you can start invest in Greece and lobby for a Pro-Ottoman policy. You would get a situation like Russia and Serbia where Serbia was the most loyal (almost) puppet country in Europe. I can't remember a time where Serbia exists and were against certain Russian policies.

I wasn’t necessarily thinking of an immediate or even rapid reconquest—it would probably be a generation at least before the Sultan could think of bringing Greece to heel. Is it possible for the GPs to be distracted enough for the Ottomans to successfully reassert political control? Economic control would certainly go a long way but I was looking for something more formal than that.

The Ottomans had much larger problems, like Egyptian troops marching as far as Anatolia. Even if it didn’t, a foreign intervention would likely occur in this scenario.

Well, the Ottomans could after World War I, and becoming a MAJOR world power, since Bulgaria is taking a ton of greek land, the Ottomans could after the war partition Greece between Bulgaria and the Turks. The Ottomans after the war might want to regain Balkan prestige, and since Bulgaria and Austria basically dominate the Balkans, Greece is a good thing to take. Especially if they want to restore Ottoman dominance in the Mediterranean. If they kick Russian influence in the Black Sea and return it to the Turks, soon they will want to gain it back in the Mediterranian through Cyprus, Libya, and Egypt, and Greece would be geopolitically, culturally, and politically important.

Do you want Greece as a vassal? Make them an economic vassal. First try to modernise asap, more modern than the Russians. By the 1880s, if you haven't lost the Balkans yet you can start invest in Greece and lobby for a Pro-Ottoman policy. You would get a situation like Russia and Serbia where Serbia was the most loyal (almost) puppet country in Europe. I can't remember a time where Serbia exists and were against certain Russian policies.

The 1842-1858 and 1880-1900 periods had a Serbian government that was more or less hostile to Russia. The 1880s had a particularly severe case of Russophobia. Oh, and the Kingdom of Yugoslavia's relations with the USSR were pretty awful.

But there's still an useful example there: Russian economic involvement in Serbia was basically nil. Austria's economic involvement with Serbia was very large. And yet, Austria was unable to maintain a puppet, or even friend, in Serbia.
Why? It's complicated, but at the end of the day, Vienna's desires and the Serbs' desires were unrelated at best and totally incompatible at worst. The Ottoman Empire would need to be much less arrogant and more permissive in its behavior towards Greece than Austria was towards Serbia...and there's no reason to assume that would be the case. So even an economic hegemony over Greece probably wouldn't lead to political puppetization.