In the London Protocol of 1830, the great powers of Great Britain, France, and Russia had intended on having Leopold of Saxe-Coburg become the King of Greece only for him to refuse it.

His reasoning was that Greece was politically unstable and that he wanted the Arta to Volos border for Greece promised at the Conference of Poros in 1828 which were reduced at the behest of the Ottomans in return for a fully independent Greece.

What I would like to know is what must happen for Leopold to accept the Greek throne?

Does Greece do better in the Greek War of Independence?

Does the infighting that plagued the first republic be stopped?

Does Ioannis Kapodistrias paint a less dour picture of Greece to Leopold at the Conference?

All the above or something else?

In the London Protocol of 1830, the great powers of Great Britain, France, and Russia had intended on having Leopold of Saxe-Coburg become the King of Greece only for him to refuse it.

His reasoning was that Greece was politically unstable and that he wanted the Arta to Volos border for Greece promised at the Conference of Poros in 1828 which were reduced at the behest of the Ottomans in return for a fully independent Greece.

What I would like to know is what must happen for Leopold to accept the Greek throne?

If its neo-Byzantium I accept this. A key problem for Greece in its war of Independence was its constant infighting. It could've gained quite a bit more territory if it just stopped fighting itself.

Does Greece end up with a colony in Africa somewhere?
I believe you're thinking of King Leopold II of Belgium, the son of the Leopold I'm asking about. That isn't to say that Greece couldn't end up with colonies especially if it does really well. I don't see a Greek Congo as possible, more likely is a Greek Libya if anything else.

If its neo-Byzantium I accept this. A key problem for Greece in its war of Independence was its constant infighting. It could've gained quite a bit more territory if it just stopped fighting itself.
There maybe a Neo-Byzantine situation in the works.:biggrin: I believe it was the leaders of the Morean Greeks who refused to the authority of the National Assembly which caused the civil wars. Would a less unruly Peloponnese result in a more successful Greece?