AHC: Katherine of Aragon becomes queen regnant of England

Note the difference between queen consort which she was OTL, and regnant (e.g.: her OTL daughter, Mary I). Yes this situation is implausible. Hence why it is a challenge lol.

Probably impossible.
However, we can always imagine something. Even if it would probably never have worked in real life.
Katherine of Aragon was a legitimate descendant of John of Gaunt, making her claim at least as good as Henry VII's. However, to make her actually claim the throne for herself, you probably need a new civil war. Of course, Henry VIII breaking up with the Catholic Church is a very good casus belli.
I propose this.
Katherine takes the lead of a Catholic uprising. Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn end up burnt as heretics.
Of course, the one becoming queen regnant is not Katherine but Mary. Katherine can not even be regent, Mary being old enough to rule herself. Because of that, we need to make Mary die childless. Maybe killed by a Protestant.
Then, in order to prevent Protestants to take power through the infant Elizabeth, Katherine may claim the throne for herself.
Her succession would be a big deal as she would have no surviving child in this ATL.
James V has good chances to be her successor.
Or maybe one of Katherine's nephews would come to England to be the successor but he would probably need to marry Frances Brandon or, more likely, Margaret Douglas (depending when the uprising occurs exactly, Frances Brandon may be already married).

Katherine of Aragon was a legitimate descendant of John of Gaunt, making her claim at least as good as Henry VII's. However, to make her actually claim the throne for herself, you probably need a new civil war.
What if all the Hollands, Nevilles, and Greys get killed in the fighting? Unless I'm mistaken, that would force legitimist Lancastrians to look abroad. (If it gets to that point, though, it'd be weirdly pedantic for that outlook to continue to exclude the Beauforts.)

I notice that the Battle of Bosworth was fought only a few months before Katherine's birth, so it could go differently without risking butterflying her conception.

Probably impossible.
However, we can always imagine something. Even if it would probably never have worked in real life.
Katherine of Aragon was a legitimate descendant of John of Gaunt, making her claim at least as good as Henry VII's. However, to make her actually claim the throne for herself, you probably need a new civil war. Of course, Henry VIII breaking up with the Catholic Church is a very good casus belli.
I propose this.
Katherine takes the lead of a Catholic uprising. Henry VIII and Anne Boleyn end up burnt as heretics.
Of course, the one becoming queen regnant is not Katherine but Mary. Katherine can not even be regent, Mary being old enough to rule herself. Because of that, we need to make Mary die childless. Maybe killed by a Protestant.
Then, in order to prevent Protestants to take power through the infant Elizabeth, Katherine may claim the throne for herself.
Her succession would be a big deal as she would have no surviving child in this ATL.
James V has good chances to be her successor.
Or maybe one of Katherine's nephews would come to England to be the successor but he would probably need to marry Frances Brandon or, more likely, Margaret Douglas (depending when the uprising occurs exactly, Frances Brandon may be already married).
If Mary dies due to a Protestant killing her, you know Katherine will snap and start cracking down harsher than her daughter did. I wonder if she will instead have her Habsburg cousins/nephews/nieces succeed, though this is unlikely

If Mary dies due to a Protestant killing her, you know Katherine will snap and start cracking down harsher than her daughter did.
Maybe.
The point is that, to have Katherine becoming queen regnant herself, we need to get rid of Mary. As long as she is alive, Mary is the natural Catholic claimer.

I wonder if she will instead have her Habsburg cousins/nephews/nieces succeed, though this is unlikely
Well... Katherine becoming queen regnant is already unlikely in the first place anyway.
As for the Habsburgs, Charles V and Ferdinand I were already busy ruling their own empire. I was thinking more to one of Katherine's many Aviz nephews.

Actually, have Richard III and Henry Tudor both get killed at Bosworth, causing the Wars of the Roses to drag on further and further, causing the deaths of the rest of Edward IV's family and children, the deaths of young Warwick and Lincoln, even the death of the leading Staffords, literally leaving no one else around.

Meanwhile, in Spain, you have to whittle down all of Katherine's siblings one by one, kill off both her parents, so that only, say, Maria and Katherine are left standing. Maria as the eldest is the heir to both Castile and Aragon and she marries Afonso, the OTL husband of her older sister Isabella to unify all the Spanish crowns. Since Maria and Katherine are literally the last two survivors of the legitimate lines of Edward III, but Maria already has her inheritance, Katherine is invited to England to marry a male that's even further down the inheritance than even she is, and both are crowned as co-rulers of England.

It would require a butterfly bloodbath, but it can be done.

Since Maria and Katherine are literally the last two survivors of the legitimate lines of Edward III, but Maria already has her inheritance, Katherine is invited to England to marry a male that's even further down the inheritance than even she is, and both are crowned as co-rulers of England.
To have Katherine being simply «invited» because of being basically the last surviving descendant save to Maria, you need to kill also the Aviz and the Habsburgs. They were descendants of John of Gaunt through more senior lines than the Trastamara sisters.
Then, Maria probably becomes queen regnant of Portugal. The king of France probably takes Flanders, Burgundy and Milan. The two may marry and build the greatest empire on Earth.
Katherine may marry the king of Scotland.
Of course, I wonder what kind of terrible disease may lead to the death of so many royals all around Europe. :coldsweat:

To have Katherine being simply «invited» because of being basically the last surviving descendant save to Maria, you need to kill also the Aviz and the Habsburgs. They were descendants of John of Gaunt through more senior lines than the Trastamara sisters.
Then, Maria probably becomes queen regnant of Portugal. The king of France probably takes Flanders, Burgundy and Milan. The two may marry and build the greatest empire on Earth.
Katherine may marry the king of Scotland.
Of course, I wonder what kind of terrible disease may lead to the death of so many royals all around Europe. :coldsweat:
Rise of republicanism, several centuries early?

Maybe.
The point is that, to have Katherine becoming queen regnant herself, we need to get rid of Mary. As long as she is alive, Mary is the natural Catholic claimer.

Well... Katherine becoming queen regnant is already unlikely in the first place anyway.
As for the Habsburgs, Charles V and Ferdinand I were already busy ruling their own empire. I was thinking more to one of Katherine's many Aviz nephews.
Oh you meant the Aviz nephews. Which one is unmarried and possibly able to marry one of Mary's cousins ?

Oh you meant the Aviz nephews. Which one is unmarried and possibly able to marry one of Mary's cousins ?
Luis, undoubtedly.
John III and Fernando are already married at this time. (And, of course, John III is already king of Portugal.)
Afonso and Henry are both priests. The pope may release them from their vows if necessary.
Duarte may or may not be already married, depending when Katherine takes the throne exactly.
But Luis is the obvious candidate.

Luis, undoubtedly.
John III and Fernando are already married at this time. (And, of course, John III is already king of Portugal.)
Afonso and Henry are both priests. The pope may release them from their vows if necessary.
Duarte may or may not be already married, depending when Katherine takes the throne exactly.
But Luis is the obvious candidate.
Can you imagine Luis as king of England, Katherine's successor...

Can you imagine Luis as king of England, Katherine's successor...
Why not?
The Aviz are John of Gaunt's most senior descendants. I guess they can be seen as the legitimate heirs to the Lancastrian claim.
Marrying Margaret Douglas would also give Luis a York/Tudor claim.
However, James V would be a serious competitor.

Why not?
The Aviz are John of Gaunt's most senior descendants. I guess they can be seen as the legitimate heirs to the Lancastrian claim.
Marrying Margaret Douglas would also give Luis a York/Tudor claim.
However, James V would be a serious competitor.
Maybe James marries a sister of Luis, or vice-versa ?