AHC: Give as many countries as possible American style urban sprawl

This is inspired by google earth, which I have found provide a fascinating insight into other countries. The challenge here is to give as many countries as possible the same “format” that the United States and to a lesser extent Canada, Australia, and New Zealand have in their urbanized areas. By that I mean car oriented cities with suburbs far from the city center and with detached single family homes with a yard and a two car garage as both the ideal and reality for a majority of the population. Slums and informal settlements do not count. Although you could theoretically have an earlier POD to achieve this, I think it’s best to place this in this forum because sprawl really only kicked into high gear starting in the 1950s. Furthermore, which specific countries are the best candidates? Thank you

In my home country (Venezuela) all you have to do is keep the Alliance for Progress alive and you would see more American style suburbs in the country (especially as the urban population becomes richer and moves away from their packed areas, or at least I hope)

In my home country (Venezuela) all you have to do is keep the Alliance for Progress alive and you would see more American style suburbs in the country (especially as the urban population becomes richer and moves away from their packed areas, or at least I hope)
I think Venezuela is a great candidate with all the oil and potential wealth creation therefrom but maybe a strong Latin America in general as well. Just look at northeastern Santiago, Chile and it looks a bit like the San Fernando Valley.

Last edited:

iddt3

Donor
I think it's a combination of wealth and space. Give a large middle class room to expand, and they will. Europe is too built up and dense, other parts of the world are either too poor or dense. People like to have non shards space for their family unit, nuclear or otherwise.

I think Venezuela is a great candidate with all the oil and potential wealth creation therefrom but maybe a strong Latin America in general as well. Just look at northeastern Santiago, Chile and it looks a bit like the San Fernando Valley.
Three POD I could use are:

1- Hubert Humphrey wins in 1968, continues alliance for progress
2-More fiscally conservative conservative administration in Venezuela (perhaps runs on lowering taxes and stuff)
3- Perhaps the Oil Crisis leads to OPEC collapsing forcing Venezuela off oil earlier whilst keeping prices somewhat high

Three POD I could use are:

1- Hubert Humphrey wins in 1968, continues alliance for progress
2-More fiscally conservative conservative administration in Venezuela (perhaps runs on lowering taxes and stuff)
3- Perhaps the Oil Crisis leads to OPEC collapsing forcing Venezuela off oil earlier whilst keeping prices somewhat high
Funny how a timeline that might mean more urban investment in america would lead to the opposite effect elsewhere. Do you think the fastest growing city would just be Caracas or would there be somewhere unexpected that people might move to within Venezuela ITL?

I think it's a combination of wealth and space. Give a large middle class room to expand, and they will. Europe is too built up and dense, other parts of the world are either too poor or dense. People like to have non shards space for their family unit, nuclear or otherwise.
So with that criteria do you think a place like an early industrialized Egypt could develop suburbs out into the desert like phoenix? Cairo already has a lot of aprtment sprawl...

Funny how a timeline that might mean more urban investment in america would lead to the opposite effect elsewhere. Do you think the fastest growing city would just be Caracas or would there be somewhere unexpected that people might move to within Venezuela ITL?
It depends, if the oil industry grows heavily then Maracaibo will probably have more people, and if industry expands then Valencia (the industrial capital of Venezuela) would probably have a lot more people, perhaps if you really push it you could get Maracay and Valencia merged into one megacity.

iddt3

Donor
So with that criteria do you think a place like an early industrialized Egypt could develop suburbs out into the desert like phoenix? Cairo already has a lot of aprtment sprawl...
Maybe? The emerates are doing it, but it's grossly inefficient. I think Egypt is functionally space constrained in a similar way to European countries. The desert isn't a super attractive place to build homes.

Basils

Banned
This. You need the space. Obviously as sprawl is low density. But wealth and the particular type of wealth is necessary. You need the wealth bill to build large houses and all the materials that they need, you also need a lot more roads which are expensive to build and maintain. But the biggest cost is energy. The country that has this kind of sprawl needs cheap energy. That or it needs debility to trade for it. Perhaps like Japan which has no energy of its own and trades for it.
I guess a slightly less corrupt and dangerous Brazil could have that. Australia seems to have sprawl but it quite as bad as the USA. Having such a small population is part of that.
I think Java is mostly sprawl outside of Jakarta. That is there is a huge amount of sprawl and much if it is not covered by urban transit type transportation

Basils

Banned
Maybe? The emerates are doing it, but it's grossly inefficient. I think Egypt is functionally space constrained in a similar way to European countries. The desert isn't a super attractive place to build homes.
Yeah most people don’t want to build a desert. I guess if they could incentivize people and get piping for the water out to those places it might make some sense. I mean it doesn’t make sense to not build where you are farming, as Egypt only has a small amount of wind that’s Arable. I wonder how plausible it would be to do this?

Also Saudis Arabia looks like they might create a lot of sprawl if they make those whacky super cities